E30 M3 Rebuild/Turbo Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88M3 View Post
    The car is looking amazing! The attention to detail is second to none. Keep the pictures coming and I can not wait to see the Dyno results. Please take a video after the car is done and tuned to see how it sounds.

Regards,
    Hugo
    Thanks Hugo. Your car is freakin' gorgeous!!! Lovin the flat caps on the RS'

Comment

Thank you all i need to do now is keep saving for my engine build! I want to do NA 2.5L/ air box and coil on plug but some friends are telling me to turbo it! I am not sure which way I really want to go? Part of me wants to keep it NA and other half wants to turbo it. Only time will tell which way I will go But you are building exactly how I would like my turbo build, so I am dying to know the results and your impression on the turbo set up? Well keep up the amazing work and the great updates.

Hugo
      Photobucket

Comment

why you no update?

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
          why you no update?
          Because extremely busy with many other priorities! I have to put the project on hold for the next week or so. Promise to get back on it soon though.

Comment

Charbel, coming along nicely! Love the radiator setup. I think we will be shooting in the same ballpark! 400 ft./lbs. @2600lbs is all I want… now to go on a diet!

I did not know the S38 flanges were Inconel… Hmmm. Although I abandoned my twin-scroll ambitions for this project, I'm planning to have a little laughing gas to expedite things

Any word on traction control system w/MegaSquirt I'm sure we will need it… Keep up the good work!
            Last edited by ///schwartzman; 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM.
            Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
              Charbel, coming along nicely! Love the radiator setup. I think we will be shooting in the same ballpark! 400 ft./lbs. @2600lbs is all I want… now to go on a diet!

I did not know the S38 flanges were Inconel… Hmmm. Although I abandoned my twin-scroll ambitions for this project, I'm planning to have a little laughing gas to expedite things

Any word on traction control system w/MegaSquirt I'm sure we will need it… Keep up the good work!
              Thanks Rich! I have not looked into traction control with the MS yet.

Update time! Its been over a month since I have worked on the build.

Planning on installing the drivetrain this weekend. I will be using a OEM 12lb E34 M5 flywheel. This will allow me to run a 240mm clutch disc as opposed to the S14 specific unit which is 228mm. The clutch kit that will be used is an E34 M5 UUC segmented kevlar unit.

Stainless goodies for the exhaust manifold showed up.

OBX Fuel rail.

Comment

I finally got around to doing some work on the manifold.

Opened up the exhaust flanges to 39.5mm from 35mm while maintaining a smooth transition.

I fastened the flanges to the head and welded a single rod across them. After deciding on turbo/collector placement, I cut and welded up a temporary fixture to hold the turbo in place while I route the exhaust runners.

UUC Swaybarbarians. I installed the front bar and will tackle the rear one later on when I rebuild the rear subframe.

AEM FPR

Comment

Long time no update!

I am 95% done with the exhaust manifold. I will post more pics later after it is cleaned up and ready for install.
                  -TIG welded and fully back purged
                  -1.5" Schedule 10 304-SS
                  -T3 Twinscroll Dual 38mm MV-S

Bosch EV14 1000cc injectors and -6AN fuel rail have been installed.

Walbro E85 450LPH high pressure In-tank fuel pump. This thing is massive compared to the factory E30 M3 pump. The larger diameter on the bottom barely slides into the tank! I also deleted the external fuel pump.

Installed a Marshall fuel pressure gauge on the FPR and mounted it on the car. Also relocated the expansion tank away from the exhaust.

Lots of AN fittings/hose!

The crankcase ventilation system is complete with new hoses. I used the following K&N breather filter that will vent to atmosphere. The IAC is also installed with new hoses.

I purchased the Treadstone vacuum distribution block to feed all the new goodies and keep the engine bay neat and tidy.
                  Last edited by Motorsports14; 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

pic KN filter is nice but what's the part number?

Comment

62-1410

Comment

thanks!

Comment

an update yay!

Comment

Here is another.

Second wastegate flange got welded on today and I also blasted the manifold. Lots of hours into this piece and I am glad it is finally done. Now I am anxious to see how it performs.:drive:

Comment

Looking great! Are you going to ceramic coat it, wrap it or both? I can't wait to see it assembled.
                              Rich!

Comment

Thanks Rich! No heat wrap or ceramic coating. I am going to run it as is. However, I do need to wrap the shock tower and inner fender with reflective tape on the exhaust side.

Comment

Working...
                                X