X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brendan
    replied
    Originally posted by dcvee View Post
    Yeah I've already witnessed some Megasquirt messes....besides reading about yours. VEMS has some interest to me however. Have a bud that tunes it. But it seems like VIPEC V88 sounds like a great choice. Can't wait to get started....but I need to get a few projects out of the way first....

Thanks for the input!!
    Don
    Megasquirt messes are due to the individual - not the system

Personally, I haven't heard great things about VEMS. If you're paying someone to do it for you, do VIPEC, Motec, Pectel, Syvecs, AEM, etc...

Leave a comment:

• dcvee
    replied
    Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
    You could simplify the process and remove the butterflies in the ITB's and adapt a 90mm Ford Mustang T-body to the stock plenum... Just an idea, as costs can get out of hand quite quickly.

Undoubtedly the ViPEC V88 & harness from Neel @APEX has the best, tried & true setup for the S14. If I can offer any advice from my experience don't take a shortcut here... Neel has been helpful to me and I haven't even bought his system... Basically because he has an 8-12 week lead time, just accept his timeline you won't be disappointed.
    Or...
    Research the tuners in your area and what they are adept at tuning. I also suggest using a shop that uses a DynaPack to tune. Due to the proliferation of Hondas and Toyota/Scion's, the AEM EMS-4 has emerged as a very affordable option that a mass of tuners WILL tune vs DIY type kits like VEMS or MegaSquirt which most won't. My understanding is MoTEC has reduced their usual astronomical prices on their entry level EMS like the M-400 in the last season.

Forced induction is definitely an undertaking, and most take the easier S54 swap route but in the end... That's all they'll be seeing, rear-end. Good luck!
    Yeah I've already witnessed some Megasquirt messes....besides reading about yours. VEMS has some interest to me however. Have a bud that tunes it. But it seems like VIPEC V88 sounds like a great choice. Can't wait to get started....but I need to get a few projects out of the way first....

Thanks for the input!!
    Don

Leave a comment:

• dcvee
    replied
    Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Use a MAP sensor as mentioned. You will probably want to use a standalone that will let you run Alpha-N near idle and cross over to speed density above that point. Most can do this, but its something to keep in mind.

Interested to see what you do with an S14 Don.
    Hey Nick!! Yeah going to be fun playing with a different format. Also going to be nice doing a build thats designed for street use and minimal HP goals!! I'm looking forward to it actually.

Thanks for the suggestion too!!

Don

Leave a comment:

• ///schwartzman
    replied
    You could simplify the process and remove the butterflies in the ITB's and adapt a 90mm Ford Mustang T-body to the stock plenum... Just an idea, as costs can get out of hand quite quickly.

Undoubtedly the ViPEC V88 & harness from Neel @APEX has the best, tried & true setup for the S14. If I can offer any advice from my experience don't take a shortcut here... Neel has been helpful to me and I haven't even bought his system... Basically because he has an 8-12 week lead time, just accept his timeline you won't be disappointed.
    Or...
    Research the tuners in your area and what they are adept at tuning. I also suggest using a shop that uses a DynaPack to tune. Due to the proliferation of Hondas and Toyota/Scion's, the AEM EMS-4 has emerged as a very affordable option that a mass of tuners WILL tune vs DIY type kits like VEMS or MegaSquirt which most won't. My understanding is MoTEC has reduced their usual astronomical prices on their entry level EMS like the M-400 in the last season.

Forced induction is definitely an undertaking, and most take the easier S54 swap route but in the end... That's all they'll be seeing, rear-end. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• wazzu70
    replied
    Use a MAP sensor as mentioned. You will probably want to use a standalone that will let you run Alpha-N near idle and cross over to speed density above that point. Most can do this, but its something to keep in mind.

Interested to see what you do with an S14 Don.

Leave a comment:

• Brendan
    replied
    Map
    Last edited by Brendan; 07-08-2013, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dcvee
    replied
    So, remove the stock harness. Check. Ok. I'm checking out air metering options next. Map, Maf...I'm sure you guys don't use the AFM?? Searching continues...

Again, thanks for the help!!
    Don

Leave a comment:

• Brendan
    replied
    Originally posted by dcvee View Post
    I just don't want to sacrifice the stock harness to do so. Thanks for the help.
    Originally posted by erik bernstein View Post
    I removed the stock harness from the engine bay. No damage was done to it
    You will need to remove and replace the stock engine harness. Erik's right - done right, it doesn't need to be damaged and your replacement custom harness can integrate with the chassis harness.

Leave a comment:

• erik bernstein
    replied
    I removed the stock harness from the engine bay. No damage was done to it

Leave a comment:

• dcvee
    replied
    Originally posted by Brendan View Post
    If you read the fine print, it's not a bolt on kit. They only allow install at VAC. And coming from VAC it's going to be expensive - not sure if the $$$ they're quoting is right, but add it to your cart and it comes in over $10K.

Also, don't know this for sure, but my guess is that they are using the cast iron treadstone manifold, but if I were to go this route I'd want a custom tig welded manifold myself.
    Yes, saw that too on the VAC website. And I'm going the exact route you described...making my own stainless manifold but I'll be keeping it simple. It will be log-style since I'm not looking to eek out every drop of HP on this build by using equal length runners. It will definitely be bottom mount as well.

Wish I could start on this tomorrow...but I just don't have the time at the moment.

Thanks for the help/discussion!!

Don

Leave a comment:

• dcvee
    replied
    Originally posted by erik bernstein View Post
    I use a Vipec. Every harness that Neel makes from Apex Motorsports. It would be a simple thing for him to add the necessary boost items. I love my system and have had zero issues has I'm pretty sure everyone who has a Vipec that was tuned by Neel would say
    If you'd like pics shoot me your email or look under my threads
    I'll check your thread out...been reading them little by little. Yes, read about Neel and Apex for sure. Definitely sounds like a viable option. I'm not concerned with adding a crank/cam sensor or adding wiring to support them...I just don't want to sacrifice the stock harness to do so. Thanks for the help.

Don

Leave a comment:

• erik bernstein
    replied
    Sorry I meant to say that every harness made by Neel is custom

Leave a comment:

• erik bernstein
    replied
    I use a Vipec. Every harness that Neel makes from Apex Motorsports. It would be a simple thing for him to add the necessary boost items. I love my system and have had zero issues has I'm pretty sure everyone who has a Vipec that was tuned by Neel would say
    If you'd like pics shoot me your email or look under my threads

Leave a comment:

• Brendan
    replied
    If you read the fine print, it's not a bolt on kit. They only allow install at VAC. And coming from VAC it's going to be expensive - not sure if the $$$ they're quoting is right, but add it to your cart and it comes in over $10K.

Also, don't know this for sure, but my guess is that they are using the cast iron treadstone manifold, but if I were to go this route I'd want a custom tig welded manifold myself.
    Last edited by Brendan; 07-07-2013, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MillerMotoring
    replied
    http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...kit-p2623.aspx

Leave a comment:

Working...
X