Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dcvee
    replied
    Thanks for the response! I'm ok with fabrication/wiring. Just figured someone had a plug/play option perhaps...... Hopefully someone chimes in that's used VIPEC. Nice build btw!!!

Don

Leave a comment:

• Brendan
    replied
    There is no way to do a true plug and play setup for a turbo E30 M3. The closest you will come is having someone build you a custom engine harness that interfaces with the existing plugs, connectors, and chassis harness, but supports the additional sensors and wiring needed for a turbo car. While you're at it, you'll be better off if you get rid of the distributor and install dedicated crank and cam sensors. Figure $2K and up for the harness plus the cost of the ECU, plus the cost of tuning - and that doesn't even start in on the manifold, exhaust, intercooler, etc.

If you're paying someone to do it for you instead of doing it yourself, pick a reputable vendor and a well known ECU. I think Vipec would be a good choice from what I know about it, but there are many, many options that would work.

I personally run a Megasquirt now, if and when I upgrade the offerings from Pectel, Life Racing and Syvecs have me interested. Tremendously powerful, but not as user friendly and a narrower user-base.
    Last edited by Brendan; 07-06-2013, 05:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dcvee
    started a topic Turbo Talk ITT...

Turbo Talk ITT...

Hey, help me out a bit here. Looking to start a little "think tank" on a future turbo build I'll be undertaking. Looking to start right around Dec/January so I'm doing a little research and looking for folks to shoot-down ideas I'm having. For example:

1. I'd really like to ditch the ITB's for my turbo effort. I'd rather construct a simple aluminum intake manifold and run a single throttle body and save my OEM stuff.

2. VIPEC seems like the preferred engine management system. Anyone tried VEMS?? I'd like plug and play if anyone has it. Sure, I can wire up my own stuff but when you are building a whole car you have to limit your time or you'll never get done!! I don't mind paying a few bucks more for a proven standalone with plug and play.....unless the stock harness/wires aren't worth it?? I sure don't want to butcher the stock harness.

I promise I'll do my best to search...just thought I might get a few quick answers/opinions on the above first....

Thanks for your time!!
    Don
Working...
X