Driveshaft tunnel / Shift lever sheet metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft tunnel / Shift lever sheet metal

Is this an OEM part harvested from another car? I suspected that it came from a convertible or something but I'm coming up short. The every even spacing of the spot welds and the lip around the edges suggested that it might be OEM.

My Gruppe A car has that panel.
    I have never seen it have a separate part number, but I never looked at other BMWs,,, hmmm good idea...

Mine was f'n mangled when I got it, someone did some really bad work on it. I tried to make it pretty but its still not right.
    I'd be curious to see if that is available separately as well. I'd love to replace mine.

After spending a year trying to figure out how that tunnel got so mangled, my theory is that Prodrive used a Prodrive built 6 speed trans which was a longer overall dimension than a standard 265.
    They also used a transmission mounted shifter assembly which because of the length of the 6 speed would have been shorter that the similar piece on a 5 speed to place the shifter's pivot correctly in the hole in the chassis shown above.

My bet is either at a race or later in privateer hands they had to make an emergency switch to a 5 speed trans (which is what my car came with) but the shifter assembly they had was still the one for the 6 speed and too short, moving the pivot forward in the car the distance of the missing 6th gear case causing some team mechanic to have to make an emergency tunnel "modification" with a can opener or sawzall of some kind (it was ugly).
    I cleaned up the damage as pretty as I could, then made a cover plate for it but the best thing would be to find a section of tunnel with that reinforcing plate as pictured.

That reinforcement could also be something that Matter made and installed when they did the chassis.
    I always assumed they shipped them standard street chassis just like we would have from a road car.
    I think if anyone would know, Ton Vink might.
    Last edited by jimmy p.; 03-30-2021, 01:19 PM.
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Thanks Jimmy. As you probably surmised, this is Tom's car. Not all of his builds have it though which I find interesting. I think he and other builders swap between Matter and a local guy that does Matter replicas to meet budget constraints. (I can find the name) So, you could be right. If so, I can appeal to them or Ton to try to get one. Unlikely that Matter will sell one to me/us.

Semi Related, this is the original transmission that came out of your car. 6 Speed as you said. It was made by Sadev. (the internals)

Comment

I'm in the hacked tunnel club. If you can find 3 of those pieces count me in.

Comment

Mick, I found them. I'll get you one.

Comment

Originally posted by agrabau View Post
            Thanks Jimmy. As you probably surmised, this is Tom's car. Not all of his builds have it though which I find interesting. I think he and other builders swap between Matter and a local guy that does Matter replicas to meet budget constraints. (I can find the name) So, you could be right. If so, I can appeal to them or Ton to try to get one. Unlikely that Matter will sell one to me/us.

Semi Related, this is the original transmission that came out of your car. 6 Speed as you said. It was made by Sadev. (the internals)

"Ton's" Autocorrect nabbed me.

Comment

Originally posted by agrabau View Post

"Ton's" Autocorrect nabbed me.
              LOL I kinda figured that.
              Hey let me know where you found them or the parent application.
              Cheers
              jimmy p
              jimmy p.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
              92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
              98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Looks like Vink has these available:

https://www.vinkmotorsport.com/shop/...thening-plate/

Comment

Saw that and ordered a few immediately. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X