Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex Will Hoy 91 BTCC championship winning car lives !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, I race in Thunder Cars ( now called Super Saloons) . We have never had an E30 M3 racing with us.

I've only ever seen 1 e30 M3 in this country, although there I know of 4 , but none of them were Race shells, and the one that is being built as a race car started life as a road car.

Interesting if someone could provide me with the information of the previous SA owner I could dig up something on it, maybe find out who it was sold to, and ewhat happened to it since then... I'm thinking I might be get it, or I know at 1 person who will buy it if it's out of my league.

Hope it hasn't been hacked to pieces.
    Widebody e30 race car build

Comment

Howsit? I know Im about 7 months delayed... but was reading this thread, so just thought id introduce myself. Im the owner the Matt Neal E30 M3, Ive owned the car for the past six years, I found the car in a basement of a scrap yard. The car was in a terrible state but atleast it was not outside, Ive repaired and replaced everything at fault, the car is nearly complete, just too busy with my other race cars and my sons race car. Its hard to do anything because Im always busy. I dont know anything about the history of the car, could you guys perhaps help? I know the car is the Matt Neal car because it was black with silver stripes and has the same wheels. I gave Stevin the chasis number a while ago and he confirmed this and added that it was sold originally to the Bigazzi team. Your help and input would be much appreciated. The chasis number is M31135.

Thanks, Shaun

Comment

this web page has a picture
        http://www.pbase.com/lanceracing/will_hoy_m3

Cool paint job.
        I believe they state that prior to 92, your car was the Will Hoy car and was then wrecked in 92 - is that the state you found it in?
        cheers,
        bruce

Comment

Vic Lee Motorsport repaired the car before sending it here. The guy who imported the car bought two of the four VLM cars. He got caught for tax evasion and his assets auctioned. I didnt buy it from the auction, found it years later. Sold my Cecotto to buy it

Comment

Seems you got your self a very nice and very important E30 M3 race car - I'm jealous Matt Neal gave me the info I originally posted via his own web page and forum. I guess you could contact him for any info, he sure seemed keen about the car,and as the last person to race it in BTCC, I guess he knew the full history for the cars life.
            Do you have any pictures of the car as it was and as it is now ? Would be great to hear some details of the condition you found it in and how it is now.

Thanks to Autohabit/Alan for pointing me back to this thread.
            This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Some pics would be great
              Craig

1990 M3 Sport Evo

2006 VW Golf R32

Comment

Originally posted by BMG View Post
                Seems you got your self a very nice and very important E30 M3 race car - I'm jealous Matt Neal gave me the info I originally posted via his own web page and forum. I guess you could contact him for any info, he sure seemed keen about the car,and as the last person to race it in BTCC, I guess he knew the full history for the cars life.
                Do you have any pictures of the car as it was and as it is now ? Would be great to hear some details of the condition you found it in and how it is now.

Thanks to Autohabit/Alan for pointing me back to this thread.
                Can you post a link to his forum? The car was rough, completely striped, all suspension parts were in boxes, came with a lot of extra spares, brake calipers were missing, engine and gearbox as well. All body parts were dented. I've replaced all the fenders and put a new bonnet. Still got the old body parts and they still have the black and silver theme. Managed to get a 2.0lt touring car engine and gearbox from BMW Motorsport SA. I did take pics of the car then, cant find them, must be in my workshop, I'll have a look tomorrow.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Im having difficulty uploading the current pics. Can I email them to one of you?
                Last edited by ngy333; 10-18-2008, 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'll pm you an email address you can send pics to and I'll post them up.

Here's his site http://www.mattneal.co.uk/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pics of both cars

Last edited by BMG; 10-20-2008, 06:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

what do you guys think?

Comment

Needs repainting....

Comment

Originally posted by BMG View Post
                        Needs repainting....
                        So true. Being an ex-Vic Lee/Will Hoy 1991 BTCC champion, as well as Matt Neal's entry car to BTCC, I guess the car bears some historic value.

I'd suggest to repaint the car as the 1991 champion. We have seen so may Warsteiner replicas...

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                        1989 M3 racecar
                        e39 Touring

Comment

True, but I had no idea whose car it was when I got it. And its still not confirmed, Im waiting for Matt to reply. I like the Matt Neal paint more but ya after I finish the car I'll think about repainting it. What did Will Hoy drive in 1992? Because a friend of mine has also got a E30 M3 and when he got it, it looked the same and he told me it was Will Hoys. He imported it himself back in 93 or 94. The two cars that were auctioned one was mine and other ex Labbats/bristow helicopters. So theres 3 cars here in SA... What to you guys think of the 325iS? Do you know the history about South African spec iS?

@ BMG, is there no one else that can confirm my cars history?

Comment

I guess only Vic Lee could confirm the BMW Motor Sport shell VIN number as that being the one used buy Hoy. Last I heard Vic Lee was in jail again for more drug dealing though.... Unless you could find someone who was in the Vic Lee team who may know, then I think Matt Neal is the best person to ask.
                            I seem to remember Matt Neal works for,or his family owns, Team Dynamics Wheels. If you don't get a reply from his site, you could try there ?
                            BMW Motor Sport could probably confirm who the shell was orginally sold to,but after that it probably gets hard work.

If you do confirm it as the Hoy car, the only paint choice is that of Hoy IMHO I have a pet hate of Warsteiner cars that are copies. :(

Found a pic of the car with Matt at the wheel in 92. I just noticed the car looks to have twin fuel fillers on the C pillars. They could have been replaced ( meaning a roof chop for seemingly no reason ) but does your car have this or any evidence of these having been fitted ? I'm no expert, but I don't recall seeing another M3 with these, other than the some of the Vic Lee cars like the Labbats sister cars to the Listerine racers. I'll have to get out a copy of the 91 season and see if I can see any others like this now.

Found some pictures of the inside of one of the Labbats cars which shows the twin fuel fillers and the fabricated tank area on the back seat. Looks as if Matt Neal's car was running the same set-up. Should be some evidence of this on your shell I would imagine.
                            You might also try asking Jimmy P here if he can help with running the Motor Sport chassis number you have. He has a genuine Prodrive BTCC racer that he has researched the history on. Hopefully he won't mind me putting his name forward.

Last edited by BMG; 10-22-2008, 04:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

My car used to have twin fuel fillers, I closed the one hole. I'll email you pics later because you can see that it was there from the inside of the car and the caps are exactly the same (it has premier or something written on it). The exhaust hole in the side skirt is in exactly the same place. I also put the bigger front lip, my last M had it n I thort it looks nice. Someone told me BMW motorsport says the chassis no. 135 was sold to the Bigazzi team forgot what year tho. My friends M3 which he says is Will Hoys car has that paint job, dont want to look like a copy cat. lol. Thanks alot for your help so far. Do perhaps have pics of the suspension assebly, as mine was in boxes and most of it still is. Just want to see if Im write so far. Most important being the in car adjustible antiroll bars (or sway bars).

Comment

Ah, I thought you were saying your car ( the one in the pics you sent ) was the Hoy car. Have a read of this thread with some old magazine articles I posted up. It confirms that Vic Lee bought an ex Bigazzi car to convert to BTCC regs.
                                http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...light=magazine

Sorry, those are the only pics of that car I have.

Comment

Working...
                                X