2.5L Rebuild question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5L Rebuild question....

Whats the average cost of the 2.5L rebuild including parts and installation?

It all depends on what you rebuild and what parts you get. A 2.5l rebuild can run you anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000.

"Unlike the latter day E36 and E46 M3's, the
    original E30 M3ís main purpose in life was to
    win races on the track, not the street. It
    got the job done."

Comment

From the hard drive....

[snip]

A somewhat quickie price point list may look something like this:

$5k = good rebuild with a little port optimisation and maybe upgraded pistons.

$8k = Basic 2.5L rebuild.

$10-12k = Nice high spec 2.5L.

$15k - $20k = Full on wild 2.5L

$25k plus = Full on custom stroke, CF intake, after market engine management, custom oil/coolant system ect ect.....

Loosely, that's the brackets I like to think of when looking at were to plan the build spec. Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

[snip]

EVO block w/ Oil jets and pistons 2500.00
      2.5 Crank and bearings 1000.00
      Turner Stage 3 head 2500.00
      Schrick 284/272 cams 1000.00
      New timing chain hardware 800.00
      48mm throttle bodies 1800.00
      Adjustable cam sprockets 300.00
      EVO injectors and AFM 900.00
      EVO air horns 400.00
      Gaskets/seals 300.00

[snip]

HTH,
      Jake Larsen

Comment

Using a M3 for dairy driving and weekend auto school, I am looking for more low end torque.

How about the Dinan 2.5L? On itís web show a big gain in the low end torque. At about 2,000 rpm from stock 129lb jump to 189lb. The whole torque level almost like the E34 3.5L big six. Cost $8,300 on part + labor.

I also talk to people in Metric Mechanic, the cost is about $8,700 on their 2.5 Rally but only 10% increase overall.

Anyone has more idea!
        Thx

Kin

Comment

Under no circumstances should you trust Dinan's numbers. They use creative math. Other than that I have no comment on the cost - it varies way too much.

Comment

Here we go again...:cool:

elefantsupply.com

Comment

forget those dinan numbers.

your cost can be 10000 to 30000+. depending on all the stuff
              you get. Jake split it up in categories well.

I dont think its worth it to try and build a lowend torque
              S14. that is kind of what a plain 2.5l bottom with 2.3l
              stock top end is. to get real power you will have to
              look into the head work/top end setup. a setup like that will
              make more torque at higher rpms. the bottom end torque wont change
              much. or you have to go the custom 2.7l route. which means
              you need a special crank and pistons and usually rods too.
              This can make more turque earlier and the maximum power will
              be achieved at lower rpm (e.g. somewhere between 7000 and 7300).
              whereas a high rpm power setup will have max. power somewhere around
              8000-8200 typically for a rally setup or 9000+ rpm for a pure
              race setup.

compare this with most schrick 284/276 setups you see, they
              peak around 7000-7300.

John
              Last edited by John; 12-12-2003, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by K.C.
                Using a M3 for dairy driving and weekend auto school, I am looking for more low end torque.
                Whats DAIRY DRIVING...you transporting milk and cheese? :evil:

J/K....really DINAN's number are extreme bullshit...do not believe anything you read on any website(aka DINAN...TURNER...) that sells the product until you have back up from someone who has it...

Assuming you want to do no work yourself...a mild 2.5 can be done for around 7k...

Do you need a rebuilt or do you just want more power?

ADA///M

Comment

I transport my 2 years old daughter to my Mom everyday before I go to work. Consider she is a big cheese and fat milk.

Thanks, John and ADA///M.

Is any way or anyone has pump up the lowend torque? I really want to try.

Kin

Comment

Kin
                    The best, most cost effective way to increase your torque is to transplant an E36 M3 motor in the engine bay. (Im not advocating this guys, just stating a fact!)

If you own an S14, then you realisticly have almost all the "low end" torque you are gonna get (it is a 4-cyl after all). Its kind of a the fine print when you sign on to owning one of these.

The only major improvement would be to rid yourself of the AFM with an Alpha N kit or a stand alone ECU.
                    Last edited by wookie1976; 12-12-2003, 06:16 AM.

Comment

>>The only major improvement would be to rid yourself of the AFM with an Alpha N kit or a stand alone ECU.<<

I've advocated ditching the AFM for quite some time. It cuts the below 4000 RPM torque and response. Above that RPM too, but the bonus is that is helps everywhere and at all throttle openings. A stock M needs a lot of throttle opening in the low Rs compared to when it's revved. This is NOT due to the cam or race origin of the motor..it's due to the AFM. Many mods such as bigger cams tend to help in one part of the powerband while doing nothing or hurting output in other parts. With no AFM and a few other mods, my M has more torque by about 3000 than a stock M at about 5000. It can go up moderate hills in 5th gear at under 2000 RPMs without much throttle opening and no complaints or straining. Best 0-60 5.36 seconds. That's much faster than stock

Stan
                      Last edited by Stan; 12-12-2003, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Kin
                        Everyone raves how much Alpha/N changes the characterstics of the engine, including low end torque, throttle response at low and high rpms, and just fast reving. Maybe that may be the best and cheapest route.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                        97 Porsche Carrera S
                        13 Audi S6
                        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Thanks Stan and SeattleE30///M3.
                          Finally some solid information. Where I can find the AFM with an Alpha N kit. Any contact information and how much green $$$ that we are talking about.
                          By the way 0-60 in 5.36s. I am happy to live with it..

Kin

Comment

Finally some solid information. Where I can find the AFM with an Alpha N kit. Any contact information and how much green $$$ that we are talking about.

Kin
                            The easiest way to get rid of the AFM is probably the Split Second MAF kit...it might not be the ultimate solution but it does a good job and is easy to install/setup.

Alhpa-N and MAF kits replace the AFM.

Figure close to 800-1000 for a packaged setup to remove the AFM...and then figure another 500 to have it professionally tuned.

BTW...please do not judge cars for their torque by 0-60 times...aka the Honda S2000...yeah it can do 5.2 0-60...but only if you drop it at 6k...

ADA///M

Comment

Kin
                              There is no AFM in A/N, it removes it!

Just adding A/N will NOT give you 0-60 in the low 5sec!

A proper S14 2.5 rebuild goes from the intake, to the exhaust, and runs about $15,000 in NEW parts!

I managed just 199r FT-lbs of torque with my setup.

A/N info Plug in MAXX A/N computer

Do not click
                              At least it's German

Comment

Working...
                              X