Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unscientific S14.net Suspension height samplings.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unscientific S14.net Suspension height samplings.

During our 20th Anniversary event last October '06, we gathered individual
    car suspension information (Vendor brands and measurements).

They were not measured in a controlled scientific environment, nor were
    precise tools used. We simply used a measuring tape, and did the best to
    find the highest peak in the wheel arch to measure down to the floor with
    in order to get the data. Please use the info as a range rather then an exact...
    People may or may not have made changes to their setup without sharing
    the info: cutting coils, removing rubber spring beds, use different versions
    of shocks (even shorter versions made for other cars), etc. Also you'll need
    to contend with other factors such as: sagging springs, 1/2 ton of audio
    equipment,or broken mounts that affect the final ride height. You'll be able
    to see some similarities between Shock and spring combos. Disclaimer off.
    Enjoy!

Chart runs shortest to tallest.

Old picture of my car (before suspension upgrade). Red shows area
    we measured from.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Do you know which ones had H&R Race spring vs H&R sport springs?
    Also it's possible that some cars may not have the factory upper spring pads. I have the H&R race springs myself, I guess I should go out and measure mine.
    Terrance

Comment

No, but but you could always ask the person since they're all members. :

You could always post your measurements too.

Cheers

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Were Jericho's front or rear springs cut? Or just the fronts?

Jericho, were you running the stock spring pads? Stock length bilstein sports or were the shortened/revalved?

Comment

Originally posted by karlspackler View Post
          Were Jericho's front or rear springs cut? Or just the fronts?

Jericho, were you running the stock spring pads? Stock length bilstein sports or were the shortened/revalved?
          there H&R racing all 4 custom cut with spring hats & bilstein sport shocks
          Last edited by jericho//m3; 06-09-2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho//m3 View Post
            there H&R racing all 4 custom cut with spring hats & bilstein sport shocks
            noice!

Comment

Magnus, this is a great post. This should answer a lot of questions.
              If possible, could people post side profile shots of their cars so we can have visual of everyones setup. Also, I think including the wheel and tire size with what offset. This should lead people in the right direction.

Comment

Mine are H&R Race.

Can't say I saw a visual difference between the Sports I had before and the Race I have now.

Comment

did you take wheel/tire height into account?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
                    did you take wheel/tire height into account?
                    That's what I'm saying. Usually the difference shouldn't be too much, but for those that are trying to get a clean wheel/fender gap, it would be good to know the wheel/tire size and offset.

Comment

No. I was kinda Busy. You see, I:
                      -Planned the whole thing alone
                      -I paid for all of it (sans the food from Don Fields and Banners from UNCHLL)
                      -Cooked (Nick-NY did most of it, thanks)
                      -Tried to greet everyone (Joey did most of it and signed people in, thanks)
                      -Judged it (thanks Neel for helping)
                      -Distributed a free pair of buttons to everyone
                      -Tried to clean-up

So between all of these functions, I tried to match car heights to suspension.
                      You can ask everyone that I was delirious and stressed-out by the end.
                      Throwing in the wheel variable would have killed me. I didn't know a show
                      would take that much work. If the people mentioned above didn't force their
                      help on me, it would not have been a success. If there is a
                      show this year, maybe I can learn to ask for help?

Again, all this convo is good. The purpose is to create dialogue, and have
                      people add their pictures and measurements as they get them. We'll create
                      a better graph later on.

:yeah:

I'd also like to thank (again) Don, JedM3, LJames for donating prizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                        No. I was kinda Busy. You see, I:
                        -Planned the whole thing alone
                        -I paid for all of it (sans the food from Don Fields and Banners from UNCHLL)
                        -Cooked (Nick-NY did most of it, thanks)
                        -Tried to greet everyone (Joey did most of it and signed people in, thanks)
                        -Judged it (thanks Neel for helping)
                        -Distributed a free pair of buttons to everyone
                        -Tried to clean-up

So between all of these functions, I tried to match car heights to suspension.
                        You can ask everyone that I was delirious and stressed-out by the end.
                        Throwing in the wheel variable would have killed me.
                        Cmon man, a little work never killed anyone. :Jake:
                        Terrance

Comment

BAAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!:rolling:

Oh, I forgot... I sewed a motorsport table cloth too. :

Let's not make me continue the Off topic convo. I'd be forced to tell you about
                          how Joey and I received $125 double-parking tickets (I also got a $65 no plate
                          ticket) because Neel wanted to stay inside the building instead of outside by the
                          cars. :shit: Enough. :cry: Waah!

Comment

Magnus, you've done plenty already. Just hoping people will chime in and add the missing components to this thread.

Comment

wheels/tires are CCW 40mm offset, 18mm spacers, 8.5" wide, kumho bricks 235/40/17.

And Magnus now understands while most people form committee to try to assemble this type of madness! Although he did a better job than most committees I have seen. Looking forward to this years event...happy to help if needed!
                              Last edited by JEDM3; 06-10-2007, 06:01 AM.
                              88M3 henna

73T100C
                              97 540\6-Gone
                              2008 MINI Clubman S

Comment

Working...
                              X