No announcement yet.

Whats your car cost so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 1997, I bought the car for $17,500. After adding up all my receipts that I have and estimating DIY oil changes, I have spent $8400 in the past 13 years. That's about $646 per month in maintaining the car. Add the cost of the car and it's $1992 per month for 13 years. That should scare some people who are on the fence about buying one. Remind me to never add it up again.
    1991 E30 M3
    2007 Jeep Commander Overland
    2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

7500 in 1998 on buying the car
      9800 in 2009 on rebuilding the engine with Chain, Pump, Pistons, Cams & Alpha N, rad, and rolling road included etc.
      3800 in 2009 on bodywork including scuttle, front wings, sill repairs and paint
      2400 in 2009 on New AC Schnitzer suspension, bearings, bushes and top mounts
      850 in 2010 on refurb BBS 16" wheels and new tyres.
      2500 I guess in other years on oil, Alpina 16" alloys, wishbones, exhausts etc (maybe more)

So between 27,000 and 30,000 for 180,000 kms driven by me so 16p per km which is not bad.

That said -I need to add about 14,000 for fuel and 6,000 for insurance over the years...:peekaboo:

DON'T TELL THE WIFE

Comment

$12k for original car

$40k resto / rebuild / mods / new parts

$52k:peekaboo:
        JAMES
        sigpic

Comment

sorry guys i would not know where two start , iam lucky labour is free as its me ,as for parts i will sit down and add it all up

Comment

Originally posted by M3racer View Post
            In 1997, I bought the car for $17,500. After adding up all my receipts that I have and estimating DIY oil changes, I have spent $8400 in the past 13 years. That's about $646 per month in maintaining the car. Add the cost of the car and it's $1992 per month for 13 years. That should scare some people who are on the fence about buying one. Remind me to never add it up again.
            I think you're looking at annual costs, not monthly -- $646 per MONTH for 13 years is $100,766.

$646/year for a car of this nature sounds very reasonable to me.
            Seattle, WA
            currently:
            1988 M3 ex j-stock
            1984 911 RoW 3.2
            http://cars.g93.net

Comment

This thread scares me!

I bought my car in March of this year for $13,000. Added up a few receipts the other day and I'm already over 22 grand!! Yikes!
              Last edited by archie; 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM.
              88 M3 DS 89 M3 Zinno

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                This thread scares me!

I bought my car in March of this year for $13,000. Added up a few receipts the other day and I'm already over 22 grand!! Yikes!
                that's because you spend an aweful lot of money on crap you don't really need. Don't blame the car for it.....

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                  that's because you spend an aweful lot of money on crap you don't really need. Don't blame the car for it.....

Ok, exactly what mods or 'Crap' as you called it on my M3 was unnecessary? Please explain???
                  Last edited by archie; 07-23-2010, 05:45 AM.
                  88 M3 DS 89 M3 Zinno

Comment

Ok, exactly what mods or 'Crap' as you called it on my M3 was unnecessary? Please explain???
                    I'd imagine he's talking about cosmetic things you've posted in the past...

1991 M3 - SOLD | 1991 318is Slicktop

Comment

Originally posted by alexw View Post
                      I'd imagine he's talking about cosmetic things you've posted in the past...
                      Ok, I wrote a bunch of crap just now and then decided to hit delete.
                      I really dont care actually what he meant. My car looks bitchen and it's all mine!!!!
                      88 M3 DS 89 M3 Zinno

Comment

I really dont care actually what he meant. My car looks bitchen and it's all mine!!!!
                        Ok.

1991 M3 - SOLD | 1991 318is Slicktop

Comment

Originally posted by M3Pilot View Post
                          I think I'm over $45k now all in and I haven't even got a 2.5L yet or the suspension I want LOL.

No point in being the richest man in the graveyard! :p

Words I live by.

As for price... your passion with this hobby opens your wallet.

The stronger your passion, the emptier your wallet. I've watched the bank account deplete over the last year, but the smile get bigger every time I left Azevedo Motorsports.

But as Pilot said...
                          Last edited by RDCD12; 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM.

Comment

and the next thing is you will add up all the bills for you "bitchen" looking car and think that's the value of it when you are going to sell it.

You buy an 20year+ old car expecting it to look brand new new, add a lot of stuff which wasn't there before and then you are surprised it has cost a lot of money?

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

and the next thing is you will add up all the bills for you "bitchen" looking car and think that's the value of it when you are going to sell it.

You buy an 20year+ old car expecting it to look brand new new, add a lot of stuff which wasn't there before and then you are surprised it has cost a lot of money?
                              Only thing I've learned about selling cars is that the buyer determines the value, the seller only indicates what he thinks it's worth.

Comment

Please tell me you're not trying to school me on buying and selling cars? I was just pointing out the amount of money I spent in such a short amount of time.

Funny what you wrote because I just got done explaining this to one of my employees who is still in college and thought he was a genius.
                                He had asked me to help him sell his 67 mustang few months ago.I said of course. College kid,couldnt afford the maintenance anymore,needs the money for school,blah,blah,blah... You know the story.
                                Tells me he wants $12,500 for it. I said there's no way in hell you will get that because the car is worth only half in the shape it's in.He said to me he wants his money back for all that he's put into it since he's owned the car and thats what everything totals up to.
                                I said selling a car dont work that way and he said why not? I said it just dont and explained. Then I said is it right to save up ALL the gas receipts from the gas stations you've filled up at since you've owned the car and add those into your selling price too.It's money put into the car,right? He still didnt get it and thought he was good for $12,500. Funny college kids...
                                So I helped him try and sell the car on ebay and CL for HIS asking price and he got nothing for a few weeks. I did it just to show him he was wrong but knew at the same time it was a waste of time for me with his asking price.Anyways, few months go by and I dont hear about the car much then I find out he sold his car last week on his own for $6,500. lol! College kids...
                                Last edited by archie; 07-24-2010, 05:28 AM.
                                88 M3 DS 89 M3 Zinno

Comment

Working...
                                X