how many HP is your NAS s14?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many HP is your NAS s14?

i would like to survey how much M Power "NAS" s14 owner's are actually achieving?
    and how did you accomplish such M power?

i'm curious because "my second love of life" is currently at vac getting a very expensive rebuild with ALL the trimmings. 2.5l stroker, cf intake w/ KMS management, stage 3 cly head, upgraded components, the list goes on.

i defenitely hope to achieve 300++++
    how many of you s14 addicts have done so?
    Last edited by PostmasterNY; 02-09-2008, 01:09 PM.
    JAMES
    sigpic

I definitely have not acheived 300 HP, but doing so was not really my goal. I think my compression, intake, exhaust, head, and EMS are up to that high output, but I built the engine with 284/276 cams and there is no way in hell you are going to get 300 peak HP with those cams.....

It also depends on whose dyno the HP is being measured. On Dynojets mine does 232-236 RWHP, which equates to 270-280 flywheel HP depending on what conversions you use.

I think different cams (300+ duration MS or Schrick cams) would bump me over 300 peak flywheel HP, but it would require different pistons and valvetrain mods, along with a bump in redline to 8000+. I also suspect this increase would lower the streetability and longevity of the engine dramatically. I have no interest in doing it at this point.

If you are doing a stage three head with the big cams and high compression, with proper tuning you will top 300 as long as there is no choke point in the system, like bad exhaust or something.
    Last edited by Ironhead; 02-09-2008, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
      It also depends on whose dyno the HP is being measured. On Dynojets mine does 232-236 RWHP, which equates to 270-280 flywheel HP depending on what conversions you use.
      FWIW, the Mitsu EVO VIII, rated at 271bhp registers ~235whp on a DJ, so I'd say your figures are conservatively accurate.
      2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
      1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
      1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

I have just compleed a rebuild on my s14 including
        2.5 vac premium kit
        cf airbox
        motec m800
        750cc injectors
        292/284 schrick cams
        brand new sport evo head ported and polished
        E34 M5 sodium filled valves
        sport evo valve springs
        48mm tb's
        2 3/4 " exhaust
        custom race radiator
        etc. etc. etc.

the car has had its first dyno which thwy only took it to 5000 rpm (just as the cams started coming on) it only achieved 230 hp at the fly
        my mechanic is guessing that when they can take it to it's 8350rpm red line the car should have 280-290 and should (fingers crossed) just break 300 fly wheel hp after it has been running for about a month and loosened properly

i'll keep you informed
        86 E30 M3 stock
        88 EvoII resto in progress
        84 M635csi JPS replica
        Searching for an E9 for a S38 transplant

***to be added when i can afford it***
        M1
        Sport Evo
        3.0 CSL batmobile
        and maybe an evo2 190E

Comment

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
          FWIW, the Mitsu EVO VIII, rated at 271bhp registers ~235whp on a DJ, so I'd say your figures are conservatively accurate.
          The drivetrain losses are different aren't they? I thought AWD had losses of about 12%, whereas RWD cars are typically about 16%. Using those figures, I get approx 276hp for Ironhead and approx 267 for the Mitsu.
          Mark Williams
          Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Actually, the losses for an AWD vehicle are slightly greater, simply because there is an additional differential that is being driven. This means that the RWD vehicle would deliver the same whp figure with slightly less power. It also suggests that the 270-280bhp figure is possibly a bit liberal, not conservative as I previously indicated.
            2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
            1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
            1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

Did you ask Tony what to expect for power?

I have a VAC Stage 3 "plus" setup with CF airbox, but I only have 284/276 schricks in it.

The car is real fast but it don't have no 300hp. I would have had to throw a few more grand at it before that and have shim under.......... That's not neccessarily a streetable setup IMO.

Sounds good though.

I plan on Dynoing my ride (finally) after I replace my head gasket. My baro sensor failed and I ran lean.....:shit:
              1988 Diamantschwarz

"The original M3 is utterly brilliant in ways the people at M have either forgotten about or choose to ignore."

Comment

Also interested in seeing other's numbers.

Comment

Optimistic I would say...

Comment

Originally posted by UK215M3 View Post
                    Optimistic I would say...
                    That may well be....Dynojets are known for that....which was why I qualified it before I posted it..... I guess you missed that part.

Maybe you should post some numbers, that is what the thread asked for. Then we can talk shit about whatever you come up with......:idea:

Comment

Stock 2.5 sport Evo with Motec M4 running a distributor and batch fire injection...190RWHP or about 235 at the flywheel.

Ive got some 12.3:1 pistons arrow rods and 284/276 shricks amd intention to go CoP and sequential. So if I go for a CF airbox, 220-225 RWHP maybe.

IMO I don't think you can break 300HP with 292/284 combo. I'v seen to graphs both engines 11+:1 comp, head work, and CF airbox, one with 231RWHP the other with 236 RWHP. Neither of which I would guess loose 25% through the drive train. I would say 280-285.

Steve
                      Last edited by stevesingo; 02-11-2008, 08:16 AM.
                      Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

I'm assuming these runs are made in 4th gear

My stock 2.3 with a dinan chip put down 179 whp
                        With alpha N and some exhaust work I would like to see 200 whp
                        1989 M3 cinnabar red/black
                        2001 540i 6 speed titanium silver/black

Comment

Originally posted by Ted B View Post
                          Actually, the losses for an AWD vehicle are slightly greater, simply because there is an additional differential that is being driven. This means that the RWD vehicle would deliver the same whp figure with slightly less power. It also suggests that the 270-280bhp figure is possibly a bit liberal, not conservative as I previously indicated.
                          Several E30 M3 owner have done both engine and rolling road runs. The drivetrain losses are high, about 20%, presumably due to a very beefy gearbox and diff coupled to a "modest" engine...
                          Anders

"Objects in mirror are losing..."

Comment

Originally posted by stevesingo View Post
                            IMO I don't think you can break 300HP with 292/284 combo. I'v seen to graphs both engines 11+:1 comp, head work, and CF airbox, one with 231RWHP the other with 236 RWHP. Neither of which I would guess loose 25% through the drive train. I would say 280-285.

Steve

From what I have seen, I agree with this. I drove a car similar to mine but with the 292/284 combo. Maybe a bit more top end power, but not a dramatic difference. I think the only way to top 300 is with the really long duration "race" cams. High redline is a big factor also. Some forget that HP is directly related to RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post
                              ... I think the only way to top 300 is with the really long duration "race" cams. High redline is a big factor also. Some forget that HP is directly related to RPM.
                              This is my understanding and experience too (agree with your earlier post as well). Even though my motor has the other components needed to reach 300hp, I opted to retain the 284/276 cams, and observe a lower redline, in the interest of longevity.

Comment

Working...
                              X