Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINIALLY, installed Euro Dog-leg trans & diff.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINIALLY, installed Euro Dog-leg trans & diff.....

last week, I got around to getting the trans tab welded up. Then it was time to install. I really didn't want to do it, but, since I'm low on $$ I went ahead and did it.

The diff is a 3.46 LSD. I had to switch out my M-coupe cover. The install is really easy, the hardest part was getting the 4 bolts on the drive shaft off!! Then lining up the new diff and trying to hold it in place and get the bolts started was fun. All in all it was like 3hrs from start to finish.

I drove it like that once, it was WAY to tall! 3rd gear went to 130mph!

Friday, SeattleE30M3 (Young) and I tackled the trans. I decided to remove the bell housing and just swap them that way. I had to drop the exhaust, heat shields, drive shaft...

It took us 4hrs to remove the trans, we had a hell of a time with the flex disk bolts! They were way to tight! Then the upper trans bolts were a PITA! We just could not break them loose! Lastly, the dam bitch clip for the shifter.... The actual trans took 30sec to remove!

Today, it was sunny out, and I really wanted to drive the car! I started to install the new trans, it went in pretty easy, everything bolted up fine, the header bolts were a PITA, I need new exhaust gaskets. The reinstall was fast taking only 2hrs by my self!!

Then came the drive!

1st is TALL, it's great, I go WOT with out the rear just breaking loose all over the place! It's also good in average driving it's 30mph around 4kRPM's. 1st -2nd shift is great! It's so much smoother then the US box! It's weird having 3rd being down where 2nd is!

Power is awesome! 3rd accelerates like 2nd used to! I do notice I have to shift more, but there is always power! it seams to pull every where now!

I would say anyone with a lot of power, needs this box! I'm so happy to finally get it in the car!

Now all I need is the dam gear knob with the shift pattern!

Do not click
    At least it's German

Very sweeeeet. I definitely want one. When you say 3.46 LSD are you talking about a 25% locking like the stock one(OEM for a euro car), or a different kind of LSD setup? Also, what is the engine speed in 5th at highway speeds(say 75-80 mph). Glad you like it! I would love to get one. I doubt I'll ever have the power you have, but I'm pulling my engine in December and doing a decent 2.5 I think. :]

By the way, is there any way of rebuilding the stock U.S. transmission with the Euro gears and shifter assembly? They're both the same transmission afterall(Getrag 265, I think...). Has anyone ever tried doing that? Could it be a cheaper option than actually buying a euro tranny? Plus, you could have a freshly rebuilt tranny.
    Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
    1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

"it seams to pull every where now!"

like im sure it wasnt pulling everywhere before this in your car
      Old School

Comment

Is your "friend" an UTI graduate? :p
        m.

Comment

Congrats mike...glad you got the tab fixed...

I cant wait to get mine in...I think I'll be running a 3.73 though(probably keep the 4.10 until i find a good 3.73)...that should be fun :cool:

ADA///M

Comment

I am SOOOOOO JEALOUS.
            Looks like your face muscles will be kinda tired with all those smiles coming up.
            What's your take on installing a 3.15 as oppossed to the 3.46.
            Also, how much did the whole process cost cos next year I'm going to be hunting these trannys down and would like to know beforehand so I could stop my video game buying waves.
            -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

Oh and also..... was it new?
              and if not, which car did it come out from and with how many Km?
              -Ara

DEATH TO GARAGE QUEENS

Comment

Originally posted by T2E30
                Very sweeeeet. I definitely want one. When you say 3.46 LSD are you talking about a 25% locking like the stock one(OEM for a euro car), or a different kind of LSD setup? Also, what is the engine speed in 5th at highway speeds(say 75-80 mph). Glad you like it! I would love to get one. I doubt I'll ever have the power you have, but I'm pulling my engine in December and doing a decent 2.5 I think. :]

By the way, is there any way of rebuilding the stock U.S. transmission with the Euro gears and shifter assembly? They're both the same transmission afterall(Getrag 265, I think...). Has anyone ever tried doing that? Could it be a cheaper option than actually buying a euro tranny? Plus, you could have a freshly rebuilt tranny.
                Stock is 3.25 and 3.15 for the sport EVO. I got a stock BMW 3.46 diff, yea I'm sure it' 25%.

5th at 3000rpm's is a little over 65mph

I don't think you can do that, the cases are a little different, then the parts and rebuild will cost more then a new trans from BMW! You would need ever single piece inside!

I got mine on eBay a while back for a little under $700.

Do not click
                At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by ADA///M
                  Congrats mike...glad you got the tab fixed...

I cant wait to get mine in...I think I'll be running a 3.73 though(probably keep the 4.10 until i find a good 3.73)...that should be fun :cool:

ADA///M
                  I would NOT use the 4.10. Granted, you will fly off line, if you find traction, but it will top out a little over 100mph and freeway speed would suck!

I think the best ratio is a 3.64. 3.73 is the stock 325i ratio, so they are SO easy to find, most people will trade you the 4.10 for it!

The Z3 cars have the same bolt pattern on their diff's! I'm going to try and find a 3.46 or 3.35 torsion LSD.

Do not click
                  At least it's German

Comment

EVoIII... that car is just becomming toooo sick... are you goin to have that at the next Puget Sound Region show event in the spring? If my engine is done (its been in the shop for 9 months) by then i want to come up and check out the true beast of the beasts...
                    1990 e30 m3

Comment

Originally posted by Tambal
                      I am SOOOOOO JEALOUS.
                      Looks like your face muscles will be kinda tired with all those smiles coming up.
                      What's your take on installing a 3.15 as oppossed to the 3.46.
                      Also, how much did the whole process cost cos next year I'm going to be hunting these trannys down and would like to know beforehand so I could stop my video game buying waves.
                      I never had a 3.15 so I don't know. I wanted a little more go and still have some gearing, that's why I went 3.46, I may go a little lower down to a 3.35 latter.

Diffs are around $2-600 Mine came from a euro 320is (E30)

The trans came from a Euro M3, all Euro M3's have this trans, as do some E24's. It is used but in great shape! It has only 50k,km on it.

The trans usually go for $12-2600 depending on condition and rebuild.

Do not click
                      At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by UofOm3
                        EVoIII... that car is just becomming toooo sick... are you goin to have that at the next Puget Sound Region show event in the spring? If my engine is done (its been in the shop for 9 months) by then i want to come up and check out the true beast of the beasts...
                        Not sure, I'm doing a car show on Dec 12th at the Tacoma Dome.

I-Rev car Show

Do not click
                        At least it's German

Comment

Lol, I cannot believe you put that bad-boy in yourself!

I'm happy everything is working great. But, damn it, I wanted to go for a ride in your car too. It was a lot of fun as well as a PITA taking the old tranny out.

I hope that bump on your head is feeling better

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                          97 Porsche Carrera S
                          13 Audi S6
                          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Told ya

It's does work well and the straight 2-3 and 4-5 shifts are much easier. The only slightly tricky one that I miss on the odd occasion is 3-4.
                            Glad it all worked out in the end for you Mike.
                            "It's not the mountain we conquer but ourselves"

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleE30///M3
                              Lol, I cannot believe you put that bad-boy in yourself!

I'm happy everything is working great. But, damn it, I wanted to go for a ride in your car too. It was a lot of fun as well as a PITA taking the old tranny out.

I hope that bump on your head is feeling better
                              Yes, I have a lump on my head! Young dropped 1/2in drive ratchet on my head! Luckily it's really solid up there. DAM FLEX DISK!

It was really easy! It only took me a couple of hours from start to finish.

Next time your over we'll go for a drive! It's nice!

Do not click
                              At least it's German

Comment

Working...
                              X