Dynoed my car on Sat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynoed my car on Sat.

I dynoed my car over the Thanksgiving weekend and the M3 achieved 188 hp at 6900 rpm. I have a fully built 2.5 engine that Pete McHenry built as close to EVO 3 spec as he could. The car has 164.8 ft.-lbs. of torque at 4800 rpm. Are these good numbers? I never dynoed the car before I had the engine built so I'm not sure what gains I got. I lost to a Civic in the NA 4 class at the dyno competition which really pissed me off!!! The engine has 3100 miles on it so I'm thinking it might not be broken in all the way. I thinking about possible getting new cams, but I"m not sure what the gains would be over the Evo 3 cams. I also have the "dogleg" trans. with a 3.73 diff. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    '88 m3
    '88 m3
    '90 325i w/supercharged S50

check out the dyno section on the mainpage for comparissons.. what kind of headwork/cams/induction are you using?
    1990 e30 m3

Comment

Re: Dynoed my car on Sat.

Originally posted by BMWe30M3
      I dynoed my car over the Thanksgiving weekend and the M3 achieved 188 hp at 6900 rpm. I have a fully built 2.5 engine that Pete McHenry built as close to EVO 3 spec as he could. The car has 164.8 ft.-lbs. of torque at 4800 rpm. Are these good numbers? I never dynoed the car before I had the engine built so I'm not sure what gains I got. I lost to a Civic in the NA 4 class at the dyno competition which really pissed me off!!! The engine has 3100 miles on it so I'm thinking it might not be broken in all the way. I thinking about possible getting new cams, but I"m not sure what the gains would be over the Evo 3 cams. I also have the "dogleg" trans. with a 3.73 diff. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
      Get rid of the AFM! Those numbers are hard to compare without posting the plot of the graph. Was is a DynoJet/Mustang or other dyno? What is the final ratio of the gear you did the pull in? Are the numbers corrected? They seem EXTREMELY low for a Pete built 2.5 to me. I had those type numbers on a dynojet in mid summer with just a 2.3l w/124k and just cams.

T

Comment

Can we get a better idea of the build? Does it have the EVOIII AFM, 48MM TBs, Green Injectors etc??

I am sure moving up to the 284.276 should help build more top end HP, but the figures do appear low to me. Maybe Alex can chime in and help you out!

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
        97 Porsche Carrera S
        13 Audi S6
        SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
        GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

I lost to a Civic in the NA 4 class at the dyno competition which really pissed me off!!!
          That does suck, especially knowing the guy only spent a fraction of the $$ building up his engine compare to the ///M. Honda's can put out some serious NA power too!

97 Porsche Carrera S
          13 Audi S6
          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

>>>That does suck, especially knowing the guy only spent a fraction of the $$ building up his engine compare to the ///M. Honda's can put out some serious NA power too!<<<

Bear in mind that the guy is still using his AFM. (The S14 really shines in torque/litre, BTW) Hondas run TPS and MAP from the factory - no restriction. I'm running that via the Link box which is what I used to ditch that darn AFM. My tuning has more input from the TPS than the MAP than Honda uses, at least at low Rs.

Stan

Comment

Get your car checked out...those are 'poor' numbers for a 2.5L car...even if you are using stock cams.
              My car dynoed at 182hp...and that's a stock 2.3L with MAF.
              a couple of my friends with 2.5L dynoed at 210hp and 205hp...one with shrick cams and the other evo3&evo2 cams...both with the AFM.

Hope this helps
              thanks
              franklin
              Franklin Joseph
              04 Z4
              03 X5
              95 M3

Comment

I can't say if they are good or bad numbers until we know the build spec of the engine.

I dyoned 218rwhp with the AFM, so you can get some good numbers with it.

What cams? headwork? pistons? etc...

If you just have a E3 bottom end with E3 cams, using E3 pistons, then I would say those are about right on the numbers.

You would gain quite a bit with the Schrick cams. But you also need the 48mm Tb's and a header.

Do not click
                At least it's German

Comment

Seems to me that a retest is in order to rule out excessive drivetrain losses, ie, was the car optimised prior to the session.
                  fresh ign components, appropiate tire pressures, good clutch components,static and ign timing to spec etc.
                  second thing to look at would be the specific dyno itself and its operator.
                  Is the engine still tight- are the compression numbers up from where they were when the engine was freshly installed.
                  If a 2.3 runs the same power figures, then something is not right.
                  m.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
                    Hondas run TPS and MAP from the factory - no restriction. I'm running that via the Link box which is what I used to ditch that darn AFM. My tuning has more input from the TPS than the MAP than Honda uses, at least at low Rs.

Stan
                    Stan, are you saying that Honda's run Alpha-N engine management from the factory? or do they use a MAF? I'm confused... Can you fill me in?

97 Porsche Carrera S
                    13 Audi S6
                    SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                    GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

I have the EVO 3 AFM, the head was ported to EVO 3 spec, it has evo 3 cams, supersprint exhaust, evo 3 airbox, supersprtint euro resonator, gruppe A headers, evo injectors, and stock throttle bodies. The Dyno was a Dynojet (www.abacusracing.com). I was very dissapointed with these numbers and want to get this straightened out. I starting to doubt the quality of the engine built. Thanks for any help.
                      '88 m3
                      '88 m3
                      '90 325i w/supercharged S50

Comment

I have the EVO 3 AFM, the head was ported to EVO 3 spec, it has evo 3 cams, supersprint exhaust, evo 3 airbox, supersprtint euro resonator, gruppe A headers, evo injectors, and stock throttle bodies. The Dyno was a Dynojet (www.abacusracing.com). I was very dissapointed with these numbers and want to get this straightened out. I starting to doubt the quality of the engine built. Thanks for any help.
                        So stock throttles, what's the compression ratio?

Real Sport EVO's dyno around 200rwhp.

Do not click
                        At least it's German

Comment

Do not doubt the build quality of Pete McHenry.

He is one of the best in the country. I am having a head machined by him in January.

Comment

>>>If a 2.3 runs the same power figures, then something is not right.
                            m.<<<

Here is an interesting chart from Dynospotracing.com...it shows dyno runs differing only in that one run had a 2.3 bottom end while the other enjoyed a 2.5 lump. In the upper revs the motor is intake air restricted and so cannot make much of the extra cubes. Things like cams, head, TBs, intake, and the nast 'ole AFM are involved in the restriction.

Stan

Comment

wow,my mild 2.5 put out 210 hp and 208 ft/lbs with 25K miles. This is with shitty cams and a stock afm. What kind of chip are you running? Another thing, you should be able to feel if the difference between 188hp and above 200hp. Ijus got an evoIII cam and the other cam machined to the evoIII spec, motorsport valve springs and the sprockets so ill be expecting alot more next time around.

Comment

Working...
                              X