Recommendatios on Short Shift Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendatios on Short Shift Kit

I am having a new clutch installed in my '88 and currently have the stock shifter. I am interested in a short shift kit and would like some recommendations from those that have installed them. If you can offer an help that would be great.

Get a Z3 1.9L shifter from the dealer....and get a new "cup"(holds the shift lever) and a couple new circlips and plastic yellow washers while you are there...
    Swap the Z3 lever for the stock lever and you are all set to go...50 bucks for that vs 200+ for a brand name one that doesnt work any better...

ADA///M

Comment

Dont forget the foam isolators that go inside the shift knuckle. Id order 2 and shove as many as I could inside there between the tranny shift rod and the knuckle. I agree that the z3 option is very good. I have the UUC with all the bells and whistles. Yea its nice, shifts smooth and short, and is adjustable. On the down side, it doesnt shift better than any other, I have never adjusted it, and it cost $230+. You decide what better from there.

Comment

... UUC SSK...
        I love mine
        the cartridge bearings in them make it so smooth
        1995 //S6

Comment

go w/ the z kit the adam is talking about... I am putting it in my m3... my dad has it in his 325es and i will be getting one for my 318is... its OE stuff, works perfect, fits perfect, and i think it might even be better than the korman shifter in my dads m3, and VERY MUCH better than the bavarian autosport shifter that was in my m3... and for the record the bav auto short shift is just shit, but at least i can thank the PO for that lack of judgement...
          ted :t:
          1990 e30 m3

Comment

Originally posted by UofOm3
            go w/ the z kit the adam is talking about... I am putting it in my m3... my dad has it in his 325es and i will be getting one for my 318is... its OE stuff, works perfect, fits perfect, and i think it might even be better than the korman shifter in my dads m3, and VERY MUCH better than the bavarian autosport shifter that was in my m3... and for the record the bav auto short shift is just shit, but at least i can thank the PO for that lack of judgement...
            ted :t:
            Ditto...thats the setup i've got and it works just as good if not better than any aftermarket one i have driven

Comment

Originally posted by Chapel
              ... UUC SSK...
              I love mine
              the cartridge bearings in them make it so smooth
              Will that cartridge bearing fit on the Z3 stuff? That would be the shiznit.........

T

Comment

Don't forget about the Z4 shifter and if your in the Cali area.. I would call SBI up!

Comment

Ditto on the Z3 1.9 Kit...

I installed mine about a week ago and LOVE it... It only took me about 30 minutes... It would have been a shorter time once I figured out how to remove the plastic ring that holds the shifterball in place... Did I already say I love it?.. And for a total of 55.00 bucks, I love it even more. Here are the part numbers for the Z3 1.9 kit.

no.5 shift lever: 25 11 1 434 148, x1
                  no.7 bearing: 25 11 1 220 600, x1
                  no.10 spacer ring: 25 11 1 220 439, x4
                  no.11 circlip: 25 11 1 220 379, x2

you probably need only x2 no.10, but they are inexpensive..

Now for the install of my Koni's and H&R's////

Richie
                  91 M3
                  Richie
                  In an Embassy Somewhere..

91 M3 - SOLD but not forgotten (to J.R. Nagy)
                  03 Land Cruiser with the works
                  06 Royal Enfield 350

Comment

I just put the Z3 1.9 shifter in my car to replace the UUC shifter the PO had installed. It works great, feels the same. Better, actually, because the UUC cartridge bearings are small ball bearings that get beat to pieces in this application - mine were completely gone except for the center races. Low friction is not a priority here and ball bearings are intended to rotate anyway. It had been driven like that for several years so the shifter and the link rod were toast also.

I paid about $40 for the Z3 shift lever from the dealer, a great value. You should replace all of the other bushings, washers and clips while you are in there, and everything will be fine!
                    Cheers,
                    Ron

Comment

Just install Rogue’s short shift kit (WSR is included) a week ago. Love it and it is $240.00 + shipping.

Check it out
                      http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...egory_Code=SSK

Comment

Hmmmmm ...

$240.00 plus shipping -Verses- $55.00 bucks from your own dealer. That leaves $185.00 left over for the track.. Do the math...

That was my decision... I spent the $185.00 towards my newly acquired suspension..

Richie
                        91 M3
                        Richie

06 Royal Enfield 350

Comment

Originally posted by BMWLOCO
                          Ditto on the Z3 1.9 Kit...

no.5 shift lever: 25 11 1 434 148, x1
                          no.7 bearing: 25 11 1 220 600, x1
                          no.10 spacer ring: 25 11 1 220 439, x4
                          no.11 circlip: 25 11 1 220 379, x2

Since I will likely be doing a tranny swap relatively soon, I thought it might be a good time to get a new SSK. Mine is the old metric mechanic, and I'm not lovin it so much...

Is there any other parts that I should pick up, other then the items that Richie noted above, that I should replace while I have the tranny out?. I'd want to do everything at the same time. I saw going to do the Rogue, but I'd rather save the cash... Thanks guys.

Nothing like a silky smooth shifter... just butter

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                          97 Porsche Carrera S
                          13 Audi S6
                          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Jin...

Let me know when you're doing the swap... I'd be willing to drive. .(tacoma). I did the basic swap when I just replaced the shifter and the spacer rings. I didn't go all the way into the tranny. You might have an easier time since the tranny will be out. Get ALL the way in there..

If I were you, I'd get an extra "bearing" and a 2 more "circlips". This is just incase you have to re-install it and have to break the circlip to remove them. Ditto on the bearing.

Enjoy..

Richie
                            91 M3
                            Richie

06 Royal Enfield 350

Comment

Thanks for the Heads up Richie. I'll tell you know when I work on the car. I still have to mail order some more parts and wait for others to arrive.

Hey guys, I might go for the E46 328 shift lever instead...

Here are the short shift ratios comparing BMW OEM lever vs. E30 M3 OEM lever...

Shift Reduction
                              E36 M3 shift lever 32.7% E46 328 34.4%
                              Z3 2.8 44.7%
                              M Roadster 53.8%

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                              97 Porsche Carrera S
                              13 Audi S6
                              SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                              GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Working...
                              X