No announcement yet.

Recommendatios on Short Shift Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like a taller shifter so I used a shifter from the previous generation X5 (bent in the shape of the E30 M3 shifter), used a weighted selector rod and a E46 ZHP knob, no buzzing and shifts very smooth.

Comment

After working for UUC for 8 years and building 80% of the shifters out there, I made my own shifter with tons of adjusting points and used a center roller bearing.

I have it in my own cars and a few of my friends cars all with nothing but smiles on their faces.

I made a few production pieces so if your interested I'll post some pics for you guys to see later tonite

Comment

Originally posted by the bear View Post
        There is a difference between the Z3 1.9 shifter and the Z3M shifter.

N Tony, Have you changed the gearbox oil lately, that maybe your problem. I use Mobil 1 transmission oil which I count very good.

You will get buzzing when the spacer (part # 25112226585) that seats between the selector rod and the gearshift rod joint needs replacing.

GARY.
        Hi Gary, thanks for your helpfull replies as usual, is the buzzing when i rest my hand on the gearstick, in 2nd gear only i feel a wobble.
        My gearbox oil was changed 2 yrs ago by Sytner when they did my prop shaft coupling and damaged one of the gearbox seals. So i dont know what oil the dealers use.
        Also ive been contemplating a short shift kit for a few years now and dont know which one to go with, how about the German ebay seller who is selling them smg feeling genuine bmw sticks for 54 or so, or what do you reccomend Gary, also any general advise regarding the gbox will be appriciated, many thanks

Comment

Home made shifter

Originally posted by ChinaMike View Post
          After working for UUC for 8 years and building 80% of the shifters out there, I made my own shifter with tons of adjusting points and used a center roller bearing.

I have it in my own cars and a few of my friends cars all with nothing but smiles on their faces.

I made a few production pieces so if your interested I'll post some pics for you guys to see later tonite
          Hello there, yes would be interested in the shifter and can you please post some pics and can you explain how it adjusts etc, many thanks

Comment

Hi N Tony, If you had the buzzing it would be all gears, its when the metal selector shaft touch's the metal gearshift rod joint, this means the spacer between the both has failed.

As I have said before I'm very happy with the Z3M short shift but you also need the UCC DSSR (Double selector shaft rod) which makes a big difference.

Make sure the gearbox is not leaking oil from the reversing light switch, this is a common problem.

Cheers,

GARY.
            sigpic

Comment

I have tried several short shifters, DTM shifter, etc.

I can honestly say the best combination I have found is the stock (I know that's a dirty word) shifter, slightly lengthened, with a DSSR. I think the downside to all the short travel shifters (notchy) outweighs the benefits.

It's funny how we all assume, almost on a subconscious level, that anything stock is automatically bad. I know I do it to.

Comment

UUC SSK is the best in my opinion have had it on multiple BMW's.

Comment

shifter

Man, I'm interested in China Mike's set up. I'd really like to see what he has come up with. The idea of using a roller bearing is unique. Do you use a needle roller or a rod roller brg.? I am a machinist as well and look forward to some details. Thanks.
                  /WB

Comment

Rogue Engineering - hands down... smooth as silk, no notchiness and they'll make a race version. I will not own a BMW without a Rogue Shifter - period.

sigpic

Comment

• I was happy with the DSSR as well. I also made a custom mount that bolts to the chassis and used an aftermarket lever as well. I don't remember where I got the lever from (anyone recognises it?).

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...196_1602_n.jpg
                      Motornuts, what did you do with your car today?

My projects:
                      http://beta.motornuts.com/scaraveos/MR2-Spyder
                      http://beta.motornuts.com/scaraveos/BMW-E30
                      http://beta.motornuts.com/scaraveos/EP82

Comment

Working...
                      X