Different diff´s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different diff´s

Beside my std. 3,25 diff, I have 2 more. A 3,46 and a 4,10. But the 4,10 diff are smaller then the 3,46, do both sizes fit E30 M3??

I've heard conflicting information but I imagine it does unless the axles between the 318 and M3 are different. The small pumpkin diffs have flanges that stick out farther so the distance should be the same as the large diff.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Yes they'll definately fit. The overall width of the flanges is the same.

HTH,
      Jake Larsen

Comment

Thanks, probably selling my 3,25 and use the 3,46 for road and the 4,10 for track

Comment

what car is the 3.46 diff off?
          thanks
          franklin
          Franklin Joseph
          04 Z4
          03 X5
          95 M3

Comment

I think the italian E30 "M3" 320is came std. with the 3,46 with 25% lock. Mine is just a normal diff. from maybe a 325i and the lock. from another diff. has been used.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan(denmark)
              Thanks, probably selling my 3,25 and use the 3,46 for road and the 4,10 for track
              I really like my 3.46!
              You know any diff from a E36/7 will fit!! That is all the Z cars, they had every engine and trans, so there are a TON of ratio's!!

I'm looking for a torsion 3.64lsd to see how that works!

Do not click
              At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
                I really like my 3.46!
                You know any diff from a E36/7 will fit!! That is all the Z cars, they had every engine and trans, so there are a TON of ratio's!!

I'm looking for a torsion 3.64lsd to see how that works!
                Mike,

Im also in the market for a rear end as I just received my CR tranny in the mail a couple of days ago . As it seems you have already done your homework on this, which models should I be looking for ie:Z3: 2.5, 3.0 - E36: M3, 325i Etc? I am thinking about a ratio similar to your 3.46, but anything in that range should be ok. I also definately want at least 25% LSD. Any suggestions? I have a few large BMW recyclers in the area so I could try there if I have a place to start. Did the E30 have any ratios that would work? I know thise guys would love a 4.10, so maybe a swap could happen?

TIA
                Joe
                Last edited by wookie1976; 01-30-2004, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wookie1976
                  Mike,

Im also in the market for a rear end as I just received my CR tranny in the mail a couple of days ago . As it seems you have already done your homework on this, which models should I be looking for ie:Z3: 2.5, 3.0 - E36: M3, 325i Etc? I am thinking about a ratio similar to your 3.46, but anything in that range should be ok. I also definately want at least 25% LSD. Any suggestions? I have a few large BMW recyclers in the area so I could try there if I have a place to start. Did the E30 have any ratios that would work? I know thise guys would love a 4.10, so maybe a swap could happen?

TIA
                  Joe
                  No US E30 that will work for you. E36 diff will not fit, you HAVE to get a E36/7 that being a Z car. I don't have the ratios for them. My diff came from a Euro 320is 6 cylinder.

Go on any Z forum and ask, I'm sure they will give you the run down.

Do not click
                  At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
                    No US E30 that will work for you. E36 diff will not fit, you HAVE to get a E36/7 that being a Z car. I don't have the ratios for them. My diff came from a Euro 320is 6 cylinder.

Go on any Z forum and ask, I'm sure they will give you the run down.
                    For some reason I was confused into thinking that the Z3 was E37 hence my mistake of thinking that when you said E36/7 you ment E36 and E37. I knew better, but hey it was early. Anyway, Im looking into it now and will post my findings for the "good of the many".

Thanks

Comment

Ok, here is what I have found so far. The Z3 1.8 & 1.9 Liter engines with a manual tranny all had a 3.45 ratio rear gear ratio. I am not sure how many of those were LSD, but I called on one at a yard and got a price of $600 + $60 core. This included a 6mo. warranty.
                      What does everyone think about that? I need to be 100% positive on things since it is non-refundable.
                      Last edited by wookie1976; 01-30-2004, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Where can I find a 3.64 diff? And what car did that come out of?
                        '88 m3
                        '88 m3
                        '90 325i w/supercharged S50

Comment

thats not bad price...but make sure you dont give them your core...just pay the 60 bucks and sell your 4.10 for over 400 bucks

Comment

Per the ETK, this is what I found for the Z car LSD diffs...

(Keep in mind that some of these are europe-only models)

1.8L---3.45, 3.46
                            1.9L---3.38, 3.45, 3.46
                            2.2L---3.38, 3.91
                            M Roadster/coupe S50/S54---3.15
                            M Roadster/coupe S52---3.23

Those are all the ones that I found...there may be others.

I have the part numbers too if anyone wants them.

Mike
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Hennarot M3
                              Per the ETK, this is what I found for the Z car LSD diffs...

(Keep in mind that some of these are europe-only models)

1.8L---3.45, 3.46
                              1.9L---3.38, 3.45, 3.46
                              2.2L---3.38, 3.91
                              M Roadster/coupe S50/S54---3.15
                              M Roadster/coupe S52---3.23

Those are all the ones that I found...there may be others.

I have the part numbers too if anyone wants them.

Mike
                              Are you saying that all of these cars have LSD or was it an option?
                              Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X