Motorsport Oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorsport Oil filter

Hi everyone. Does anybody know the p/n for the Motorsport Oil filter? Does this really work, oil pressure wise? Anybody used it?
    And where can I get it?

Thanks,
    Robert

a filter should have no effect on oil pressure. it will mostly effect how well the filter filters. the lower the micron count the better. (15ppm is really good)

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
    they are not idiots.

Comment

someone add to this but isn't the "oil filter upgrade" usually a filter off of a Porsche? I'm not certain of which one it is, but i remember reading it does add some oil pressure and filters better...
      1990 e30 m3

Comment

Porsche 928 filter.

Originally posted by drinaldis
        I dated a girl who used to do the reverse grind. I kinda liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
          a filter should have no effect on oil pressure. it will mostly effect how well the filter filters. the lower the micron count the better. (15ppm is really good)
          but there is one that supposedly increases the pressure. Mitch Herman used to sell it on the Motorsport Imports website. I believe it had red/pink writing on it.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
          85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
          91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

deez2nutts4u is right, I looked back and found one of my old posts.

From the Sig archives quoting Jack Money.

Subject: Re: [M3] OC46 Mahle filter...928 Pcar

> Yup, been using these in my race car for about 2 years now.
            > I heard this from Andrew Taylor some time ago and finally
            > decided to check it out. Definately the way to go.

On a side note from the archives:

There is also a note that the D/S engine mount bracket might need to be notched for it to clear.

Comment

Group A oil filter

Part # 11-42-1-276-850. This came straight from the Group A manual. But there is a problem. We can not get them here in the states. I tried to have my dealer order it and he could not do it. Germany only part they told me.

Comment

The "increase in pressure" that people refer to does not mean "running oil pressure". Rather, they are refering to the ultimate burst pressure in which the filter case is rated. This is often confused.

The Porsche filter does look promising though.

The motorsport filter Mitch used to sell, aka the OC84, was simply intended for colder climates and thus has an uprated burst pressure. Other than this though, it is the same as the OC25, aka the standard filter used in the M3.

Below are two old posts from here (S14.net) concerning this mythical ďMotorsportĒ filter.

[snip]

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...lter#post18537

Motorsport filter? P/N end in -850? Please elaborate.

At this point I am of the belief that there is no such thing. I got the "Motorsport" filter part number from Mitch Herman (Motorsport Imports) and ordered it through my dealer. I got the Mahle OC84. This is a standard oil filter on many road cars.

This filter had two part numbers on it. One was the one I used to order it, the other was the P/N found in the ETK for the OC84 filter. I cut the OC25 and OC84 filters up last week to see if I could find any differences. Everything seemed to go along with the information I got from Mahle; thicker casing and base plate.

The only thing I haven't tested yet is the bypass spring but again, Mahle says they are the same. Supposedly the OC84 filter was designed with a higher burst pressure rating for colder climates. But the filter media and bypass are the same.

If you have any more information could you please pass it on?

Cheers,
                Jake Larsen

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...7984#post17984

**Below is some info directly from Mahle**

>>We do supply 2 different filters for the E30///M3 S14. The OC84 has a thicker housing and will accept a higher pressure. This is mainly used for colder areas. The OC 25 is for the warmer climates and is used mainly in Europe. Our US customers do order both parts, but we do not recommend the OC 25 if you live in the northern part of the US or Canada.

I hope this explanation will aid you in purchasing the correct filter for your area.

Kind Regards,

MAHLE Inc.<<

>>As discussed on the phone please get in touch with Mr. X to explain the correct application of OC 25 and OC 84. I wrote the answers in red next to the questions.

Please inform him that both part-numbers are correct. OC 25 is used in
                warmer regions and OC 84 in cold regions because the housing can stand more pressure. To be on the safe side we always indicate for the USA OC 84 because we do not want OC 25 to be used in cold regions as the northern states.( But as you can see from the orders of our regular customers, they all buy OC 25 because it is more favorable in price). Depending on where he is located he should use the correct filter.

Best regards,

Mahle Filtersysteme GmbH<<

>>These are the part #'s direct from Mahle.

The OE #'s we show for the OC 25 are
                11429061197 (old part number, superceded to the above)

The OE# we show for the OC 84 is
                11421278059<<

Iíve gone through the SIG archives thoroughly and it is VERY confusing. The last word about this is above in the quote from Mahle, so Iím going with that as fact. All other info in the contrary is referred to in the third party. You know, he said this, that expert said that. I prefer to believe the source, Mahle.

[snip]

HTH,
                Jake Larsen

Comment

here's a pic of the porsche 928 from SIGFEST:

-Han

Comment

so whats the benefit of the porsche filter? other than its bigger? whats that mean...longer intervals between changing oil filters....less chance of clogging...more area...???

Any downsides?

Comment

Man that' thing's long. (bring on the jokes) Seriously though, aren't there clearance issues?

Also, would a filter that's 2x the volume of the OE filter have 2x the flow resistance? Would using it cause more stress on the oil pump?

Comment

Actually, it's kinda the opposite. Think of it like an air filter. Larger air filter, more area for the same volume to go through = less pressure differential (aka pressure drop between the front and back side of the filter element).

Also, since oil flow hasnít increased but the surface area of the filter media has, the flow it will move slower through the media and with less pressure allowing for better filtering.

I imagine there are practical limits of course.

Jake Larsen

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
                          Actually, it's kinda the opposite. Think of it like an air filter. Larger air filter, more area for the same volume to go through = less pressure differential (aka pressure drop between the front and back side of the filter element).

Also, since oil flow hasnít increased but the surface area of the filter media has, the flow it will move slower through the media and with less pressure allowing for better filtering.

I imagine there are practical limits of course.

Jake Larsen
                          I get what you are saying jake...but its not really a flow through...its a flow around and back out....

So in this case you are increasing the distance it has to travel...isnt that increasing the work that has to be done...i know its probably insignificant...

I dont know exactly the flow path of oil in a filter so i am probably wrong...

Now if you are slowing down the velocity...arent you also decreasing the pressure....

Oh no ive gone cross eyed :idea:

Comment

When I get home tonight I'll post some internal oil filter pics. But for now....

It's best to relate this to the later BMW filter set-ups where you can see the element itself. The oil enters the chamber from around the outside of the filter, permeates the filter media, and then enters the center portion (I think it's out-to-in, could be in-to-out, can't remember exactly).

The center portion is just a cylinder with round perforations throughout its entire length with the end closed off. So the oil can enter the cylinder everywhere along it's length and thus the circuit isn't necessarily all the way out to the end and back.

In fact, the filter media is going to see more flow the closer you get to where the oil enters/exits the filter assembly (the end that screws into the block). Then of course less flow further out at the end. I hope this is making sense.

Ultimately, the oil does not snake all the way out to the end and back.

HTH,
                            Jake Larsen

Comment

Guys. H A N S picture is the Proof. He was there when the "Public" found out about the OC-46 Mahle
                              PORSCHE 928 FILTER (For future search)

Don Fields was a key note speaker at SIGFEST and is one of the chosen when it comes to these cars. He has done work for me in the past and I have waited for some work since I live so far away. She always runs better on the way back from Jersey

After seeing HAN's, JACK MONEY'S and Don's email exchange I brought it up while waiting around last fall.

He said there is a clearance issue on the aluminum engine mount. Machining it with a dremel has been the solution so far and has caused no ill effects.
                              His explination (roughly it's been a while)
                              More oil volume is good, when you burn off a half quart at the track, holding extra 1/2 quart of oil in the engine is never a bad thing. It is more filtering material, how can that be bad? The oil pressure stays the same, and temps drop a little cause the oil is outside the block longer. Oil Pumps fail under on pressure not volume, no problem they are good.

He gave it the nod of approval.

I just looked back the SIG and the "Proof" was dated last August.
                              I would repost the SIG posts, but I don't know if I am allowed, and I DO NOT want to loose the privilage of using the archives.

So yeah they work. Anyone have one in? Where exactly is the machining done? Pictures? Please?

I totally forgot about those, HMMMM?? Thanks for the Reminder HANS
                              Last edited by OnrailsM3; 02-24-2004, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X