Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreambuild! My 1990 E30 M3 restoration

Hello all!

As many of us on this site started life, the E30 M3 was the ultimate goal, the poster on my wall as a kid sort of speak. As prices rose at the same rate as myself getting through school and into the workforce, I thought I had missed my opportunity. A friend of mine came across a brilliant red 1990 with lots of evo parts and s14 included for a price I could afford and I was lucky enough to get the car!

The s14 is out of the car, tons of parts including the 2.5 evo crank and evo2 flywheel, bmw performance valve springs and other parts. That car is in rough shape and going to take lots of time and patience to bring it back. Iíve decided to start with putting the engine together. There are tons of builds on the search department but honestly, I donít know where to start and come to you guys for advice. I have a few other bmws including a s54 swapped e36 so I am no stranger to projects but this is obviously an entire other ballgame. That being said on to the motor and questions!

S14
    2.5 evo2 crank in the block, hasnít been bored
    stock rods
    no pistons
    stock top end
    bmw performance red/yellow valve springs part #11341315912

i would like the see the previous owners vision through and bore to 2.5- will this hurt the value of the car? Probably will do it anyway as he has all of these parts already.

Suggestions on a reliable piston setup? The car will mainly be on the streets and possibly see a track day or two but we are going for reliability over performance here. Build it once, build it right.

Since the PO bought the appropriate valve springs, Iíd like to get a little aggressive on the cam setup. Suggestions? Again this will be a Street car I plan to enjoy the rest of my life.

Tuning options and what kind of power should be expected?

Again I apologize for the virgin questions but I know very little about these s14s and the e30 at this depth as my background comes mainly From the e36 and e46 M3s.

So so excited to get started on this!

Patrick

Welcome and congrats on getting started with your project!

I have not built an S14, so unfortunately I can't be very helpful with your questions. I'd recommend (if you haven't already) that you read read read through this forum and also visit the s14power forum, which seems a little more engine-focused.

This thread has some serious detail on a 2.5 rebuild, as good a place as any to start.
    1989 Lachs
    1988 Lachs - sold
    1988 DS - sold
    Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

• itsplynch
      itsplynch commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the quick response! I’ll check that build out

Congratulations on the purchase. FYI -- an EVO2 crank will still be a 2.3l, you need to see an EVO3 part number on that crank for it to be a 2.5l

Comment

• itsplynch
      itsplynch commented
      Editing a comment
      Then I’m assuming it’s the evo 3 crank. I’ll look into it as the PO mentioned it will need to be bored out. Thankyou!

So PO just confirmed itís a sport evolution evo3 crank.

Comment

Where are you located.
      My suggestion would be to get the engine to a known S14 builder, work with them for a good street combination, depending on your location there are several, proven, known good S14 savvy people who would be the go to's.

Then while they have the engine start work on the rest of the car.
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

• itsplynch
        itsplynch commented
        Editing a comment
        Appreciate the response! I’m located in Miami. Building the motor is not my biggest concern as I have access to a solid machinist who has done several motors for me- it’s the combination of correct parts for a streetable evo3 build. If you are aware of some guys in south Florida though-
        Please share!!!

A reasonably streetable S14 can make 260-280 flywheel HP pretty easily. An all-out race motor build....who knows? With all top end parts/machining/build 350 flywheel HP is possible...but you would need high octane fuel and the engine would cost $30K or thereabouts.

I can answer some of your questions, but you would get much more thorough information by reading some of the engine build threads in the forum. I don't mean to be a "do a search" dick, but there has been a mountain of relevant information on this topic buried here over the years.

Here is one of the best threads:

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...-build-project

The only part that really pisses me off is that the picture links are dead.

This is a thread I made a few years back rebuilding my engine. It is not in the same league of information as Jake's, but at least the pictures are still there.

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...5-liter-engine

This information is relevant even if you are going to pay someone to do the build for you. It will give you some insight into S14 builds.

HTH

Comment

• itsplynch
        itsplynch commented
        Editing a comment
        Iron head Thankyou! I’ll look through this as well. I’m not trying to get super crazy on the build- just a nice set of cams and the appropriate pistons to match along with any other hardware I may be missing. Thanks again! Looks like I have some reading to do and I’ll report back.

Did you buy this car from Pedro? I believe it was his father's and sat for many years down in Florida. You should create a build thread with lots of pictures. That is 1 thing that is missing in the e30 m3 world now. Lack of current build threads.

Comment

• itsplynch
        itsplynch commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes sir! Picked it up from him. Great family. He got called up by the army and the car sat for 8-10 years. His buddy started the evo3 build but never completed. I plan to document the entire thing

I think you missed the main point of my post,,, It was not to say get someone to build the motor,,, it was to get an S14 builder to help you pick a combination "and" build the motor.
      That kills two birds with one stone.
      You get an S14 built by someone who knows S14s and you get good collaboration on "your" combination for "your" car instead of reading threads and hoping you picked the right combination.

Its not Miami but probably as close as you will get with a real E30M3 guru.
      Thomas Boylan / Motorsports Concepts is in Tampa.
      Knows E30 M3s inside out.
      Owns a Gruppe A car, is one of the most knowledgable E30 M3 shops in the US.

http://store.motorsportsconcepts.com/location

http://store.motorsportsconcepts.com/location

Motorsports Concepts
      4711 N. Manhattan Ave.
      Tampa, Florida 33614

T: 813.348.6183 (8am-5:30pm, M-F)

Thomas was a member of this site,
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

• itsplynch
        itsplynch commented
        Editing a comment
        Jimmy you’re the man! I’ll reach out to him.

Congrats on the purchase and project. As is said above, there has been a lack of build threads lately. I hope maybe you (and I) can change that.

I really should have posted a build thread on here, for my 2.5 build I just finished earlier this year. I built a 2.5 for the street, with mild schrick cams, Evo 3 crank, pauter rods and JE pistons. I bought the pistons from Steve at raceteci in Cali. They are a nice set of pistons at a reasonable price. I went with 11.4:1 compression with 284/277 schrick cams. Stock head, stock exhaust and stock throttles. I am using a 535i afm, Volvo injectors, iigo chip and a wideband. Also an Evo lower airbox. The bug has bitten hard and there will be some more mods coming, once it's in its new home.

It's a fun engine with plenty of punch for the street. It sounds like you want the same.

Building these engines yourself is not impossible, they are reasonably simple (especially the bottom end, but you want to make sure you have done it right. I've seen many a build have to be redone for many different reasons. Also the risk of damaging an NLA component like block, head or camtray makes these builds a little more nerve wracking.

I'm a BMW technician and have built many engines at home and at work, so I was confident to build mine at home. I'm looking forward to building another one in the new year, the blown engine that is coming in my newly acquired silver M3.

I recommend vapour blasting the alloy parts and cad plating all the fasteners. The engine looks great if you do that.

I'm sure you will have so much fun with this project. There might be some painful costs associated with the build, so be ready for that. Oil pumps, timing chain guides, water pumps etc are all super expensive :(

Here's my engine finished on the stand before it went in my e30 318i.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170507_002656.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1275916

Comment

• itsplynch
        itsplynch commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome info.... and beautiful motor! Thankyou for being so specific on the route you chose to go. Luckily most of the parts you mentioned have come new in a box.. PO bought all kinds of stuff. When I have a moment I’ll lay everything out and we can decipher what else is needed!

Hi all! Finally getting back around to the E30 project. I need to order the back glass, trim pieces and clips to install. After doing some digging, I found it was 3 black trim pieces I needed and 18 clips? If you all could be so kind to help me with part numbers for the glass and whats needed for install, I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m not the most handy on Real OEM admittedly lol. Hope everyone is doing well!

patrick

Comment

Let me know if you're looking for any particular small parts, I have a bunch from my old 89 that got wrecked back in 2008 that I found in my storage garage the other day.
        Will be posting stuff up here soon.
        Just put this up https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-M3-...0AAOSwpeBdm466
        send E-mail to: [email protected]

Comment

Hi all! So I’ve been doing my research and thinking about which way to go with all of this and I think I have made my decision. With the s14 in so many pieces and missing components, I decided to look around locally to see what i could do. A friend of mine has a very respected shop that has done several e30 m3 builds and would like to acquire the s14 drivetrain. He is offering a complete s38b36 drivetrain and setting it up for me in the bay. I had a few questions for you guys: 1.) how hard is it for this swap to retain AC?
          2.) is the wiring process a mission?
          3.) recommendations on a proper radiator that would fit along with a fan solution.

the drivetrain I’m giving up is at 180k and some change, missing pistons, in pieces but has the 2.5 crank, evo flywheel and some other new parts in the box. The s38 drivetrain is complete, has 104k miles and I’m getting everything for the most part set up in the car as opposed to doing it myself or having a shop do so. What do you guys think? The way I’m looking at it is a big increase in power w/ an exceptional period correct motor at no cost. The s14 will cost me thousands to get right and installed and honestly I’m more excited about the s38 being stuffed in there.

thanks as always!

patrick Click image for larger version

Name:	7A00BA32-7EF0-4CD2-BFB7-4602C4AD4F0F.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1284934

Comment

If you’re located anywhere near Sacramento, go get a ride with Josh at HMB Motorwerks in his S38 M3. Or just buy his car, I know he’s always interested in an S14 for a project. I’ve gotten a ride and it is incredible.

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...988-bmw-m3-s38
            1989 Lachs
            1988 Lachs - sold
            1988 DS - sold
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Konig View Post
              If you’re located anywhere near Sacramento, go get a ride with Josh at HMB Motorwerks in his S38 M3. Or just buy his car, I know he’s always interested in an S14 for a project. I’ve gotten a ride and it is incredible.

https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...988-bmw-m3-s38
              Unfortunately I’m on south Florida but I did locate his build thread! I messaged him earlier today. I’m hoping he responds so I can pick his brain on the topic as well

Comment

Originally posted by itsplynch View Post

Unfortunately I’m on south Florida but I did locate his build thread! I messaged him earlier today. I’m hoping he responds so I can pick his brain on the topic as well
                Ah bummer, I misunderstood what you meant when you said "in the bay"! Well to expand on my experience in the car... spinning tires through first, second, third. It was like a completely different machine and I loved it. Extremely fast. If he doesn't respond, ping me and I'll try him at his email address for you.
                1989 Lachs
                1988 Lachs - sold
                1988 DS - sold
                Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Working...
                X