1893224 Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1893224 Restoration

So now ive figured out how to post photos, I thought I would start a restoration thread.

Ever since I built and sold this car 11 years ago that some people might be familiar with, I have wanted another E30 M3 so badly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ANg9F25d6EZ84S8N0YtoQsxM70JN2IYSRHaXJwgJUD2MJxPpCgTNbQJ1SY5dBBABbbEhYb02wZQV2vr3CYUH2JcCDBwFbSCOD9xjBfEmYjWHjhNpmEddxNNnRlb7BJAGLvG15Z_RztLzgNqjDcjDJHtwpptDwKdqmH5zMY_0vF6LJIj6vR8JrQYV77TOdvXPTzIKHxasIZnbjMNAk0dKAQuHf_XYfXZ0Ar1zTjY899KWU7SPuNGldDVCqQQR78n
Views:	354
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1301400

Roll on to 2020 November, we have been in solid lockdown for 4 months, im bored and want a car to drive and play with so I pull the trigger on what I thought would be a great driver. New paint, engine build less that 1500kms ago to a 2.5, alpha N and carbon intake, new interior..... Sounds great and the car is at a reputable source in the E30 M3 community in Aus. This is how it looked when I bought it.

Name:	B2AUwkvOj0me5S0I-cvObNXXNgD4_6i_LbFS3yRhJOqaSGXfytQJSh4ixKQqvzL8ACi84bVvi77_hfTDGZCaofa4tL2Vk1m6gdKR2HlxkYVtA9qL5jiT4FMGkzI2IOk2RKsmCrjSbHQ8uqsN3_J94CosT5mEOTBIQqlg5xwBiqmzllZER_3Q1_R-TwFWLp9bdrs-xkP470nsmHRZldu5YE2Y7BU_MukDplFUYBjzobry4e9NGEV5qpLVr8cAcUZ
Views:	221
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1301401

So I buy the car and have it shipped from Perth to Melbourne, and all those thoughts I was getting a good driver fly out the window. The seller installed the Alpha N and intake, but couldnt get it running, so the car arrives on a flat bed, bad start. Then the paint.... oh my gosh, it was the worst paint job ive ever seen, absolutely disgusting. Full of runs and inclusions. The interior was out of a 4 door so the front seats didnt move forward to allow passengers. There was loose bolts in the suspension all over, diff was loose.....

Anyway I got the car running and thats where the real fun starts, its chewing through coolant. leak down test indicates head gasket, I strip the head to find all the water jackets on the head are corroded and the bores are damaged in the block (see engine woes thread) I put a head gasket on it and drive it a little, the engine is so noisy and when i measured the valve clearance i needed shims so big BMW didnt make them. Enough is enough, I decide im going to strip the car, get the paint work fixed and sort the engine.

Name:	7XP9oTuADjCrTzW60gFh8tRC7ofazFnr1qhetxWVY4Vz5FGM1pa5vumHJQxKkdwmkHzpIhenUToUlgK6W-9aIRfeVfNEtx5XtoClFN6Yl-9vH1qrwbkoyF3nbxez7TewMWkutQ1XQdnpDzE7xF0aXibr4H0v_xko7hLpXahGYo1hKgPRADH49Pi8bMPRwO67sBBw3C5i4baS4A-L4sAybvBFm2KGYM2GYJqomNQTVFF8ykiQELxHutP8KniffxT
Views:	225
Size:	388.5 KB
ID:	1301402

So I strip the car and its originally a Japan Euro spec so its unbelievable rust free, its saving grace. But as im stripping it I see one little tiny bit of rust on the bulk head, so I remove the heat shield and insulation to inspect....

Name:	RMvIuhRYX5vWLrYzsJtoTZzgvgeHzNewJQsNKcEFV4_8sbBwLtJ7eKoPXQWbMV0bDnLl8HrIPtosdeQayZozXdGqXQPZWcUp-q-sFmz3Ub9zhQH2omRKhLLGsve50FK6pgZKKaoSm_xSL2qmKjkGTbO1tYzk2wLt9erQwKJ6jtdLNGXgpSOanLG-ala8IHMPRK8WhS0AqjeCEZhmsq-stNUND7LDD_NjNncK0qmok6H-wYNGXnbibAZjeoqISwR
Views:	226
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	1301403

Yeah its rotten where the scuttle drain has just kept the insulation wet, so just to recap where we are at....

Engine is toast
    Paint is horrible
    Suspension is shot
    Shell is rusty
    interior is trash
    its got a 4.10 diff in it with a dog leg gear box

So yeah, the car needs to go to ground zero. So I strip it further...

Name:	mGSyliKHer7l4JHlRxe4xd1t98I88-8WH9TDx03_HvG1N9vrY2NJbGbl1yLP2Y7k8nVTJ7mIoNHAO-bdC6fUtzbRjzjaan8FTTN8_05NzUvGgLuwhDtvx22PHJXE1ZVIKX_HRf_XpT8ZA9it5BWgCYjTMihmvONvonGuzSX87jflFlv7j1APhG9Ymp-jx7JOZkpWibx9e1vxKaiv01wvCqgQ2iw3KYnYqmob4WWg2QyHGQZka7XusY90YuMrNA7
Views:	226
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	1301404

So rock bottom here we are, onwards and upwards. The goal is to put it back to original, as stated before the car is a 7/87 Japan Euro spec, it had 0211 houndstooth interior and was diamond schwarz. Im going to keep it a 2.5 with a carbon intake but have all the parts to put it back to standard intake set up.

I am trying to get everything I can new or refurbished, even down to the nuts and bolts. There is so much wrong with the car its a large project but since I stripped it in January 2021 I have managed to accumulate and restore nearly everything. Just the engine to build, interior to retrim and the body to paint really.

So the shell is now on a rotisserie, body work is done ready to sand again before paint, the engine bay needs doing and I need to do the underside.

Name:	6dEzquqWV56fdVpfy3_kHXjrZ-RjmJJjfcJ6tuiMzmmVDNb1WPp26Aw7_38CtPerAocGc_ofzawjr2au9De2Y0czcLySzuEu3V9UTuHM101nOIOxbaqq0v1L5Edxox_MQEf7MY1tl80ESAFr7sI6RrqqPw8SzUOj_UWzsRJ5-9pE39J3DCTNMosGlvkzcHGeczHhAmxQuFiMcfXwXR_bMaaHNzI_t6nwI8oUg_j1SljYBKQvPYIlss0xp_SOrrq
Views:	216
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	1301406

Name:	vbXuF4jpMXy7Yi3BfWstS7EuoY1ZJVrFTjqwP4sjEPCc4lAyCu2K5jQYJYqWfm0Qmd4MmSsgtFE704DQ5df1Lu22oq5CqVoxdGrk49W_ZxktieQjl5Y8gKnih_Fb1_IMQFa3J_WzBOZA6xA2ubWsntk4tqV2Zl2Lmipv_jWbJCg9aY6q63-r47qne8b6b4KqCYPMYmgXkMIPZlpKkbVxAegRb6AoORh4QtxUmtvjs7vKbRFctdKXzoMjooTJAYC
Views:	206
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	1301407Click image for larger version

Name:	nl5c4QzsKlfWmtcqTBNNzyvp3EN31QSx7X9XhIHdfK7JYiGtM6rP90GbrTOdbw9kmpwAr1YiwCbg2wwPuPw4MbnK-or4nsd4tkFR8bg8wsykKf-GybfmS7oVJE5qZ5jHpPRL4bj66w3G0C0sx9VmCUmckEYU_AHtyZ9_T5f4Hr2yi0JmpGghdfRUq3qREke6wdbE-SYLWCIUKZcYM7-T1iYLRCDb3Hkmy67SraSzx6RhaESYht7iZr64gfEhZL_
Views:	202
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	1301408

Comment

ok so ive hit the 14 meg upload limit from google images, any ideas how to get round that?

Comment

It could be that you're hitting the limit on S14.net and not Google. When inserting images make sure you uncheck the option " [ ] Retrieve remote file and reference locally "

Comment

Ok thanks Mick,

I have been re doing the parts and bolts in zinc, fortunately I have access to all the colors so was able to do the correct black for the 10.9 bolts and do items like the tool kit.

I also have hydro blasted all the aluminum parts back to as new

Ive also had the original seat covers made in the Houndstooth 0211

Comment

Wow, quite the undertaking. I’m sorry that the car you received was not what was advertised, did the seller have anything to say?

Looks like you are committed to fixing it properly and already making great progress!

With respect to hosting images, I use Flickr. I believe it’s free up to 1000 images, and files are stored at full resolution.
            1989 Lachs
            1988 Lachs - sold
            1988 DS - sold
            Car blog
            Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Try Imgur.. Not able to see your last post of pics

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Konig View Post
                  Wow, quite the undertaking. I’m sorry that the car you received was not what was advertised, did the seller have anything to say?

Looks like you are committed to fixing it properly and already making great progress!

With respect to hosting images, I use Flickr. I believe it’s free up to 1000 images, and files are stored at full resolution.
                  Not much to say, he owns a repair shop specializing in BMW`s and this was his personal car he fixed up so I was more gobsmacked than anything and took it on the chin, its my own fault for not going to view it but with all that new stuff and the guy having his own shop, I was thinking it couldnt be that bad and would be a driver at least.

Comment

Been busy with some assembly, still hoping to turn around a 6 month nut and bolt restoration so end of August is the goal.

Body has had its first coat, now to be sanded and redone in diamond black, the underside is done but I dont have a photo yet.

Did quite a lot of assembly on the engine, now waiting on a head gasket from VAC. Im using the Wiseco pistons from Turner, ive gone with a head gasket thickness that takes everything back to standard as if the block and head has been skimmed. I have 39mm intake valves and 33 exhaust, I saw a thread about Ironhead suffering piston to valve contact with these pistons, intake cam is a 276 Schrick so hopefully should be ok, I have the evo 3 valve springs, does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Comment

Throttle bodies done

Suspension all assembled

I am really tempted to get these painted the factory colour yellow, does anyone have a paint code?

Comment

Working...
                      X