This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brendan's Track Car Build

Sometimes projects start in an unexpected way. Here was my car, less than 90K miles, and looking like a pretty nice specimen of an E30 M3:

But like many others, I caught the bug, and went to strip out carpet and insulation to turn the car into a track car, and I found rust. In the firewall, the floorpan, the rocker panels, the jack well. None of it major, but all of it needing attention.

That's when I found this for sale, a no-rust california shell with some damage:

So, I put it in the garage and the project was started:

So, that's when it became a two stage project. First, strip the black car (Which I just finished):

At the same time, I sent the red shell up to VSR to have Mario and his team work some magic. I think they did a pretty good job:

Now, the black shell is out of the garage and up for sale, time to get to work on the re-assembly!
    sigpic
    Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

Wow. I love how that cage fits so tightly against the sheetmetal!

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the rest of the buildup! Are you planning on getting this car running by springtime?

Comment

Yes, the plan is to have this running and drive-able by the beginning of April.
      sigpic

Comment

Just curious ... what specs/classes are you building toward?

Comment

None in particular for right now. The cage connects all the way from rear suspension mount points to the front suspension mount points, so I think that might put me in Mod as far as BMW Club Racing goes, but I haven't looked at the rules. My goal was to build a solid and safe chassis and frame the way I wanted it, and then go from there in terms of classes, and further upgrades.

For this coming year, I will be doing mostly time trials and driving events, so am not concerned about BMWCR / NASA / SCCA classing rules yet. When/if I want to race with them, I'll find a class my car fits in, as I'm out to have fun more than anything.
          Last edited by Brendan; 01-28-2009, 07:51 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Cool. Good luck with the build!

Comment

more pics more pics please of the build keep us updated
              91 M3 AW 2.5 CR Dogleg
              88 M3 AW Track Car s54
              95 525 Touring M52 Turbo
              04 Toyota Tundra

Comment

Nice looking build Brendan. Good to see the work as it's progeessing. I wish I had room and funds for another car right now, but I have a pretty big decision with my car, on how I want to continue with it.
                I agree with you, in that its nice to have a safe car, and is also fun, no matter where you drive it! You are onto a good solid start with the cage you've just put in, and that will really help the handling too. Nice color!
                Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Dave
                sigpic
                '88 Lachssilber

Comment

Hey Brendan, looks fantastic. Very similar to my build as well. It's actually in that exact state right now, minus cage. Did you install the front and rear windows yourself? Any tricks? Did you replace the seals?

Good luck finishing it up on time! Cage looks great, btw. Well thought out.
                  -Derek

Comment

Originally posted by DePaul View Post
                    Did you install the front and rear windows yourself? Any tricks? Did you replace the seals?
                    No, I left this to Mario and his team at VSR. I figured that this was something I'd manage to screw up.

I will be mounting the rear side windows myself, but this requires a little fab work as the upper mounting bolt is blocked on the inside by my b-pillar cage bar. I'm still trying to figure out what the best solution is here - maybe just leave the upper bolt of and use some adhesive.

Originally posted by DePaul View Post
                    Cage looks great, btw. Well thought out.
                    Thanks, credit for cage design and construction goes to Mario and his cage builder. The decision was made to leave out a roof diagonal and gussets in the door opening for now (until I see how I sit in the car) and we also left out a bar that goes from the rear suspension mount points directly to the node over the driver's and passenger's outer shoulders.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan View Post
                      I will be mounting the rear side windows myself, but this requires a little fab work as the upper mounting bolt is blocked on the inside by my b-pillar cage bar. I'm still trying to figure out what the best solution is here - maybe just leave the upper bolt of and use some adhesive.
                      Why not go with Lexan?

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                        Why not go with Lexan?
                        Basically because using the stock side windows will be easier, and will cost me almost nothing. Lexan may be a future option, but I talked to one person who used just the lower bolt and the window stays pretty secure. I'll probably go with the lower bolt + some silicone sealant / adhesive at the top near the upper bolt.
                        sigpic

Comment

Have been making progress, even if it doesn't look like a ton. I've installed the tail lights, replaced bumper mounts, adjusted the doors among other things.

Right Front Strut Top with Vorshlag Camber Plate:

Left Front showing the ABS and brake lines dropped into place. Still waiting for some parts to do all the brake and fuel lines:

Steering rack converted to manual:

A bunch of new cage pictures:

Dash is cut to clear the A-pillar bars, and currently held in place with zip ties:

And, installed my rear flap to get it out of the way:

sigpic

Comment

Brendan.
                            What are your plans for the hole in the roof?
                            Did you weigh the cage components?
                            Are you using Bilstein struts?

m

Comment

The hole in the roof will get a simple rubber plug. I left it there in case I ever install a GPS or radio antenna.

I did not weigh the cage components, but will weigh the car when complete.

For the time being, I am using the bilstein sport shocks and H&R sport springs. I want to do coilovers, but am leaving that until after I have the car up, running, and sorted out.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X