This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve:

Simply delicious!!! Excellent work!! You should have a stunner there when you're done!
    Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
    • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
    • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
    • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
    • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
    • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
    • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
    • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
    • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
    • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

very nice work? i should do same thing to mine but wondering if sanding body will not accelerate rust later on ?
      Beemer Fever :taz:

Comment

:hi:great work keep up the great work wen its ready u can sell it to me:smile2:

Comment

Originally posted by edvaracing View Post
          very nice work? i should do same thing to mine but wondering if sanding body will not accelerate rust later on ?
          Most of the sanding was correcting the dents provided by SPL. It wasn't that much repair work in all honesty. But you do have to scotch all of the surface prior to painting and that hurts fingers.

If your car lasts longer than mine you can have mine...

Steve
          Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by diln View Post
            :hi:great work keep up the great work wen its ready u can sell it to me:smile2:
            I'll look you up when the inland revenue catches up...

Steve
            Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

maybe it just the rumors but people saying that sanding will make micro holes in the metal and then it will rust from inside and it is realy hard to remove sand from the metal. On the other hand restoration shop doing that for a long time now and seems to me that there is no problem with that. I'm not the expert on body work i'm just trying to find out . My car is in pretty bad shape and i'm doing restoration just can't decide sand it or do it by the hand.

Comment

I think you have misunderstood the term sanding. By sanding x works and myself mean rubbing down using an aluminium oxide grit paper, not sand blasting.

I don't think our sanding will cause any future troubles.

Be wary of those rumours...

Steve
                Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

sorry my mistake, i mean sandblasting.

Comment

OK Back to it after a break due to work commitments.

Got to work on getting the sound insulation back in and ordering the parts for the bulkhead area.

Then I started on the sound deadening matting that is stuck to the interior panels.

Rear...

Front...

Cant remember if there was any on the parcel shelf or not. Answers on a post card

This wasn't a hard as expected. using the pics I took on strip down, I cut the shapes out of 500mmx500mm sheets (The biggest I could find) of the stuff. In places I had to have a join where previously there wasn't due to the sheets not being big enough, but you'll never see it anyway. For anyone's future reference, I used 13 sheets. I should have used all 15 I ordered, and had less joins, but....

During this I realised that the barn I work in is slowly decaying and shedding lime mortar dust on the car:( It did have a cover on whilst I was away, but now I want to work on it, I had to do something...

Unbelievably 30 from ebay

Next job is the wiring loom:confused: I can't find the pics at the moment, so I will be awarding a can of beer to whoever can name the connector plug in the upcoming instalments...

Steve
                    Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

OK Back to it after a break due to work commitments.

Got to work on getting the sound insulation back in and ordering the parts for the bulkhead area.

Then I started on the sound deadening matting that is stuck to the interior panels.

Rear...

Front...

Cant remember if there was any on the parcel shelf or not. Answers on a post card

This wasn't a hard as expected. using the pics I took on strip down, I cut the shapes out of 500mmx500mm sheets (The biggest I could find) of the stuff. In places I had to have a join where previously there wasn't due to the sheets not being big enough, but you'll never see it anyway. For anyone's future reference, I used 13 sheets. I should have used all 15 I ordered, and had less joins, but....

During this I realised that the barn I work in is slowly decaying and shedding lime mortar dust on the car:( It did have a cover on whilst I was away, but now I want to work on it, I had to do something...

Unbelievably 30 from ebay

Next job is the wiring loom :cry: I can't find the pics at the moment, so I will be awarding a can of beer to whoever can name the connector plug in the upcoming instalments...

Steve
                      Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Holy crap, still a lot of work ahead. But looking good! One thing for sure, with the current price hikes for SE's you will not end up with something costing three times the amount what it worth IMHO. I wish I would have bought that SE a few years back for 14.5k....

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

updates?

Comment

Yeah. Got the wiring loom in yesterday after spending about 15hrs (I kid you not) repairing the loom from the previous alarm fitters ineptitude and then integrating the new alarm system. Carpet is in, wiper mech, pedal box and heater box all in.

Will take some pics today.

Steve
                            Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

Pressing on a bit now.

Loom, pedal box, heater box and carpet in.

Trying to remember where it all goes as it was 2 years since I stripped it and have lost all the pics apart from the ones hosted here:eek:

What is this and where does it go?

ADVERT:
                              Free food, coffee and beer for anyone in the North West of England who has recent intimate knowledge of the behind of a dashboard and wants to spend a weekend putting a jigsaw together!
                              Sport Evo No.47

My Sport Evo Restoration

Comment

^ If it has a part number on it - you can look on Real OEM and see if it gives you any insight -

Comment

Working...
                                X