X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the bear
    replied
    No they are never finished but the spending does slow down a lot "thank God".

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Are these things ever finished?

Merry Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• the bear
    replied
    Good to see her finished Steve, Merry Christmas.

GARY.

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Merry Christmas

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Link to Dyno thread... http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...nd-Expanations

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    So the comparison...

stevesingo

11.9:1 compression
    29.5mm head with 38.5mm Intake and 32.5mm Exhaust valves.
    292/284 Schrick cams-106/106 timing
    17cm Runner Airbox
    3.15:1 diff in 4th gear or 59.12rpm/mph

PBC M3 (correct me if I'm wrong)
    11.9+:1 compression
    215 head and valves.
    292/284 Schrick cams-102/106 timing
    17cm Runner Airbox
    3.91:1 diff in 3rd gear. (I think) or 97.88rpm/mph

The only comparison we got from the dyno operator was the flywheel figures but 276 vs 258 seems a reasonable comparison.

The interesting thing is the comparison of the wheel figures which were separated by nothing really.

The explanation, I will attempt to explain elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    I have been for a run on another rolling road, one which PBC M3 has used in Feb this year, in order to confirm or deny if I have an issue with the engine given the lower than expected result from the tuning session.

No changes have been made to the WOT tune since the first run.

This dyno is a Dynojet which has a single 48" roller as opposed to twin small rollers of the DynoDynamics, so it would be reasonable to expect a higher wheel figure. The losses are determined from a coast down as opposed to a fixed amount on the DynoDynamics.

I am much happier with the situation that I was as the comparison with PBC M3's run from earlier in the year is what could be reasonably expected.

If PBC M3 doesn't mind I'll post up the comparison...

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Having checked back on my info, both cams are timed at 106! So I will try the Intake first then the exhaust.

Should prove interesting anyhow.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Just to put my mind at rest about the power numbers I think I will be visiting a different set of rollers (dynojet) that another M3 owner has used and use his figures as a bench mark.

All being well, I will be changing the exhaust cam timing to 102 from 106 to try to get some better midrange.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Flat straight tarmac (let's say a runway), 1/4 tank of fuel 2 persons of 85kgs...

mph/1000rpm
    2nd gear 9.43
    3rd gear 12.79
    4th gear 17.97

From the logging...

Time:
    4:03.688---------------60MPH---------------6362rpm 2nd gear (60/9.43=6362)
    4:10.220---------------99.9MPH------------ 7810rpm 3rd gear (99.9/12.79=7810)-ran in to the limiter at 7750!

10.220-
    3.688=

6.532secs

Stock SportEvo
    0-60==6.1
    0-100=16.0
    60-100=9.9sec

From Autocar 60-100mph

2010 Audi RS4=== 6.1sec
    2011 BMW 1M====6.7sec
    2012 Boxster S===6.7sec

I'll have to do some more runs to confirm, but I think a 3+sec improvement in 60-100 would take a lot more than a 25hp increase in RWHP.

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    I deliberately introduced knock in order to record the sound.

Leave a comment:

• aropro100
    replied
    Originally posted by stevesingo View Post
    I have been out doing some preliminary work for the mapping, setting the centre frequency for the SKM knock control module.

I added 5degs of advance at 2500rpm from 50-70% TPS. I had a friend drive whilst I listened with the laptop plugged in to the audio out of the SKM and my ear phones in.

He drove up to 4th gear 2500rpm and I had him apply the throttle until I said "OFF". Once I heard the knock sounds, he lifted.

I couldn't upload an Mp3, but here are som pics..

This is what it looks like on the frequency analysis.

What I was looking for is a frequency of the knocking which stands out the most against the background noise. As you can see, about 6kHz.

As you can see on the Motec log, the SKM picked up the knock, initially on knock 3 (Cyl 4 as it is in firing order). The SKM did not apply any correction as the threshold for a response was set deliberately high so the knock wasn't turned off before my ears could pick it up.

The SKM was set at 7kHz, so it was picking up the knock. A internal adjustment to the SKM sets it to 6kHz.

When on the dyno, we can now log background noise during mapping and set the threshold for response appropriately to background noise.

Steve
    Interesting ...I also had knock at 50-70% 2500rpm , I am using 20 degs advance 50% tps to 70% tps 23 degs advance just to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by aropro100; 10-17-2012, 04:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Nothing to brag about but here it is anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Brendan
    replied
    Hell, who cares what the power is as long as you're out driving and enjoying it...

Congrats, been a long road to get back here.

Leave a comment:

• stevesingo
    replied
    Bum says Good. On my bench mark stretch of road, it is comfortably quicker than before.

As it approaches 5k it really starts to sing and takes another step at 6k!

Giggled a little then panic brake as I realised I was running out of road.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X