Opinions for 16" wheel size, offset and tires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions for 16" wheel size, offset and tires

I have my stock 15" wheels stored away but I want to use 16" for driving around. I don't want to go 17" because I want to keep weight down and retain ride comfort. I have multiple wheel sets and trying to figure out which ones to use and which to sell. My options are Borbet 16x7.5" et20, OZ Racing 16x7.5" et15, and OEM style 4, 16x8" et23. I know they should all fit with no rub correct? In your opinion which would be most proper? I was also considering some Hartge staggered 16x7.5 et13 and 16x8.5 et25. It seems like the only available tire size option is 225/45-16, but there are not a ton of tire options for that size. Any input?

You are discovering why almost no one runs 16"s on our cars anymore, a growing lack of tires.
    225 / 45 - 16 is the size.

I have 16"s on two of my street cars, and over the years I have watched the available tires just dwindle away.
    Currenty Tire Rack only shows 5 tire types in that size.
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Yep, rubber is a precious commodity in that size. I run E28 M5 basketweaves on my car (EVO look) and love the way they look and feel.
      --------------------------------------
      The God's chariot... (OO==[][]==OO)
      sigpic

Comment

I'd like to stick with 16" because in general I know how much a difference the tire size can have on ride quality. I have some 17" wheels I could put on it if I wanted to, so I have that option. What about general wheel width and offset? Is pretty much any offset above et15 gonna work without rub on rear fenders and inner wells when lock to lock?

Comment

Found a deal on a set of 225/45-16 BFgoodrich on ebay for $400 shipped, only a few years old. I have these OZ Racing 16x7.5" et15 wheels that I think I'm gonna refinish and throw the BFG on. I have those style 4 wheels I'll throw the old rubber onto, which means I have a set of Borbet Type ?(I forget) 16x7.5" et20, 5x120 wheels for sale. $500 shipped.

Comment

I realize this is a bit of a bump to an old thread, but thought you might like to see what the style 4's look like on an M3. I like them.

Comment

Gotta admit the style 4 looks bad ass!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                I realize this is a bit of a bump to an old thread, but thought you might like to see what the style 4's look like on an M3. I like them.
                I forgot to add, I was running a 18mm spacer on all 4 corners, and 205/50 front, 225/45 rear. The 205/50 are a little too tall, and with the spacer and a low ride height it would hit the fender when at full lock and going over a bump. I have since raised the car over 1", but have not had the tires back on the car yet to see if it solved the rub. I plan to remove the 18mm spacer next time I install these wheels, which is probably going to be next spring at this point, as I have little reason to put them on for just ~2 months up here in the PNW.

Comment

Any vibration at higher speeds with the spacers? I have E38 style 5 with 5 mm spacer (TMS hub extenders on the way) up front and 12 mm spacers in the rear to give the wider stance needed with these wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by thmpr464 View Post
                    Any vibration at higher speeds with the spacers? I have E38 style 5 with 5 mm spacer (TMS hub extenders on the way) up front and 12 mm spacers in the rear to give the wider stance needed with these wheels.
                    I never noticed any. I have only done one track event in this car so far, but had it up to ~120mph and don't recall any vibrations. That was on the stock 15x7 style 5's, but I had left the spacers installed.

Comment

Daniel, got it. Re-read your post and noticed you stated 18 mm spacers which are hub centric therefore reduce chances of vibration.

Comment

Working...
                      X