Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires!!! Limited selection... what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires!!! Limited selection... what to do?

I have a set of 16x8" BBS's that I love, but I'm struggling to find tires for them.

225/45/16 is the correct size, but you're basically looking at Dunlop Star Spec Z2's and Toyo R1R's, both of which are 200 treadwear and seem to be basically street-legal track tires.

There are plenty of 205/50/16's, which is also a correct size, but technically they are not suitable for 8" wide wheels. Should I get some anyway...?

I don't want to run oversize or undersize tires.

We are really running out of options for our cars.

Hi, Crank,
    The last set I bought were Falken FK 452 If I remember right, which are a brand not carried by Tire Rack. I would look around for those if they are still available. They have a wear rating greater than 200.
    Larry

Comment

That's a big reason I sold my 16's. It always was an oddball size, especially in 225/45. Way more options in 225/50's but then that's oversized and you don't want to run 205/50 either. They have 225/45 Toyo's but they will run big and are expensive. There's also Nexen NFera's which are reasonably priced street tires.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      89 M3 - SEPANG BRONZE/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I put the 225/45/16 Star Specs on my car last fall. I'm running BBS RK007 (offset 13) with stock springs. I like the tires and they fit the wheels/car correctly. I've yet to drive the car in heavy rain; they stick well on the street in the dry.

Comment

If you don't drive 10k miles a year the 200 tread is ok it also might be better if you don't drive your M in colder weather because there is no grip with those tires in anything under 50degrees but if it's a summer ride the lower tread is ok I personally have about 8 different sets of wheel combos for my M and of all the sizes the 16 inch bbs RS look and ride the best in all situations
          mike

Comment

dunlop star specs are incredibly uncomfortable on anything other than a track car or a car on stock like suspension. (talking from personal experience. even on stock like suspension, they are rough)

Nexen su1 is a good tire that is actually comfortable to drive on, while still providing good grip. feels like driving on 15s with 16" grip

Comment

How about the Toyo R1R's? Anyone tried those?

Do the Star Spec's heat-cycle out, like track tires do?

Comment

I run the same setup and have been struggling with tires the last few years. I did try the 225/50/16 but a) they looked like balloons & b) they rubbed on lock. I just got a set of 225/45/17 in R1Rs and will be mounting them once I'm done refinishing my BBS RS wheels. I'll report back.
                '89 M3
                '11 1M
                '12 MINI JCW
                '89 325i (Chumpcar)
                www.electricpixel.ca

Comment

Working...
                X