Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wich size of tire and brand for 8,5x17 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wich size of tire and brand for 8,5x17 ?

Hello,

I just bought BBS RS 302. I'll replace the barrels with 6" and lips with 2". So, I'll have 8,5x17 ET21. In the front I'll try with 3mm spacers and back 10mm spacers I already have. So front 8,5x17 will be ET17 and rear 8,5x17ET11.
    My question is about the choise of tire. 215/40/17 or 225/35/17 ? I'm worry with 215/40/17 front/rear. Isn't the width too small for the rear?
    With 225/35/17, I think the width is ok but the tire's diameter is a little bit too small (4%). My front fenders are roll up and rear stock. I want to avoid rubbing issue. Will it work on rear without rolling the fenders? (I can buy other spacer 8mm?). My car is a bit lowered with Eibach Pro Kit ((+/- 20mm) and Bilstein B8.
    Also, there're not a lot of brand making 225/35/17 size. I can have Hankook ventus V12 Evo2, Yokohama S-Drive or Falken FK510. Wich tire would you recommand? Actually, I drive with Continetal Sport Contact and I'm very happy with it but not propose with such dimensions.

Thank for your advice !

Tell us a little bit more about your driving style and how you use the car (i.e. track days, spirited driving, dry roads only, winter weather compatibility, etc). This will help with a recommendation.

Many run a 215/40R17 without issues.
    1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

I avoid to drive by raining weather (when it's possible). The car is stocked in my garage during the winter. So I drive 90% of time on dry road but dynamic. I rarely drive on track and have a second set. My car makes 241 HP (Carbon airbox + Schrick cameshaft)

Comment

Why do you feel the need to add spacers?
        For comparison. I run 17x8 ET20 with 235/40/17 Direzza tires (no spacers). I have minimal rubbing in the front, only at full lock which I never feel the need to do. My rear fenders are rolled though.

Last edited by Mick; 06-03-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by me30 View Post
          I avoid to drive by raining weather (when it's possible). The car is stocked in my garage during the winter. So I drive 90% of time on dry road but dynamic. I rarely drive on track and have a second set. My car makes 241 HP (Carbon airbox + Schrick cameshaft)
          In 215/40R17 you have the following from Tire Rack

Pirelli P Zero Nero GT
          Yokohama Advan AD08R
          Dunlop Direzza ZIII
          Yokohama A052 (New Version)
          Yokohama Advan Fleve V701
          among others

I’ve run the Direzza ZIII on the street and track and they performed great. Not that noisy on the street keeping in mind most 200TW tires will have elevated levels of noise. I have the Advan AD08R on my 1994 NSX. Very sticky when at temperature and about the same amount of noise as the ZIII. I’d love to try the Adva A052 as I have read good reviews on them. Some have put them above the Bridgestone RE-71R which has been the gold standard for 200TW tires.

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these choices
          1990 M3

Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your M3

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
            Why do you feel the need to add spacers?
            For comparison. I run 17x8 ET20 with 235/40/17 Direzza tires (no spacers). I have minimal rubbing in the front, only at full lock which I never feel the need to do. My rear fenders are rolled though.

wish they still made those wheels.......
            88 M3 Henna
            95 M3 Orange
            97 M3 Techno

Comment

• Konig
              Konig commented
              Editing a comment
              A set just came up for sale on the S14 FB group, posted by a fellow with the last name Hartigan.

i am running the pirelli p-zero nero's in 215/40 17 on 7.5 in et20 wheels. works great. these are a 280TW tire.
            88 M3 Henna
            95 M3 Orange
            97 M3 Techno

Comment

I emailed them to see if they had plans to make more and they happened to have some in stock. Worth a try.

Comment

Does anyone know how are the falken azenis rt615k compare to p-zero nero and Dunlop Ziii's (all 215/40/17)? Also looking for tires to drive when sunny but here in the desert is pretty hot in the summer and I do not want a tire that gets slippery fast when trying to drive the back roads.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by me30 View Post
                  Hello,

I just bought BBS RS 302. I'll replace the barrels with 6" and lips with 2". So, I'll have 8,5x17 ET21. In the front I'll try with 3mm spacers and back 10mm spacers I already have. So front 8,5x17 will be ET17 and rear 8,5x17ET11.
                  My question is about the choise of tire. 215/40/17 or 225/35/17 ? I'm worry with 215/40/17 front/rear. Isn't the width too small for the rear?
                  With 225/35/17, I think the width is ok but the tire's diameter is a little bit too small (4%). My front fenders are roll up and rear stock. I want to avoid rubbing issue. Will it work on rear without rolling the fenders? (I can buy other spacer 8mm?). My car is a bit lowered with Eibach Pro Kit ((+/- 20mm) and Bilstein B8.
                  Also, there're not a lot of brand making 225/35/17 size. I can have Hankook ventus V12 Evo2, Yokohama S-Drive or Falken FK510. Wich tire would you recommand? Actually, I drive with Continetal Sport Contact and I'm very happy with it but not propose with such dimensions.

Thank for your advice !
                  215/40 is perfect, and rear 245/35.. exact same circ.. Many also use 235/40..

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                    I emailed them to see if they had plans to make more and they happened to have some in stock. Worth a try.
                    So did I. None in stock and no plans to make any more right now.
                    88 M3 Henna
                    95 M3 Orange
                    97 M3 Techno

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post

wish they still made those wheels.......
                      Times two and what size they offer now are sold out as well.
                      Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-17x8-ET38-600

T

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post

Maybe if enough of us contacted APEX and asked...
                          88 M3 Henna
                          95 M3 Orange
                          97 M3 Techno

Comment

Thanks for your answers. I'll buy Pirelli P Zero Nero GT 215/40/17. My wheels are curently in restoration. I'll send pictures of it when finished !

Comment

Working...
                            X