Fitting 17x9 Up Front and Lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting 17x9 Up Front and Lowering

I’m finally in the market for larger wheels and have found a particular model that fits my budget and desired styling. Unfortunately, it’s smallest size is 17x9 et35.

All of the posts with this wheel size up front suggest 235/40/17 tires will work without issue, except for inner fender rubbing which can be resolved with the TMS steering limiter kit. But every associated picture has more wheel/fender gap than I’m interested in.

If I go this wheel/tire route, can I expect to run into any other issues if lowering the car to eliminate that gap? I don’t mean slamming the car, but a near-zero wheel/fender gap when viewed from the side is my goal. I fully anticipate having to roll my fenders.

I’m currently on GC (believe the conversion kit) at max low and plan to add camber plates and/or shorter springs to go slightly lower as needed. Thanks in advance for any help.

235 upfront on 17x9 will not work

Comment

Originally posted by evommm View Post
      235 upfront on 17x9 will not work
      I’m ok with slightly stretching the tire. There are multiple posts confirming 235/40 will work, such as mwagner’s on the next page: https://s14net.vbulletin.net/forum/s...-on-17-x9-et30

Comment

235's work but you need to understand you will have rub at full rack travel and possibly have fender rub on wheel arches if you have not rolled the fenders. I rubbed with them on System II's in the inner fender wells.
        Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

I’ll chime in here. The CCW wheels I had were ET42 (not 40 as I had stated in my original post). That said I can confirm I had rubbing at full lock. As you can see from my pictures my car was lowered but not to the extreme. You can also see that the 235 tire I had on those rims was slightly stretched. I never had any fender rubbing, either on the street or on the track. The rubbing I had was on the inner frame behind the front strut at full lock. PITA.

Please note, I was running a 25mm spacer in the front and an 18mm spacer in the rear in order to clear the struts / springs. My net offset in the front was ET17. The rear is not as critical but I ended up with a net of ET24. With a 235/40R17 the max ET you would want to target is ET20. It really depends on how low you want to get your car. There are downsides to extreme lowering as well.

Would I do it again? No. There are better solutions out there and I would stay at 8” wide or under.
          1990 M3

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
            I rubbed with them on System II's in the inner fender wells.
            How low were you and was this just at full lock?

Originally posted by mwagner10702
            I’ll chime in here.
            Thanks for the offset details. Gives me something to work with. I’ve been going back and forth between a few models and these keep standing out despite their width.

Comment

• M-technik-3
              M-technik-3 commented
              Editing a comment
              This was at full lock. Car was lowered on H&R Nurburgring coilovers so low.

I have run 235/40-17 in the front for more than a decade with zero rubbing, no rolled fenders. You just have to get the offset right, and use steering rack stops. I am running E36 fitment wheels, 38mm offset IIRC, with a 16mm spacer. So effective offset is something like 22mm.

I made no attempt to eliminate tire/fender gap or anything like that. That might well change the game. My car is lowered roughly 1" from stock, and I personally would go no further if you want to drive the car.

Comment

I know that the 17x 9 wheel is the problem Front only besides This car was is designed for rapid tracking what is the sense if you start rubbing and cause damage to the wheels or the suspension Points At full gallop?
              is it just to look cool? Look I have 7 sets of rims 2 sets of bbs rs 16,1 set in 17,1 set M5 turbines,1 set m5 throwing star,OZ mitos17,1 set 88M5 16 over the years I’ve owned it the best compromise has been the the 16’ bbs rs but tire choice is limited
              good luck with your choice
              Mike

Comment

As an additional data point, I too run 235/40 on a 17x9. Also e36 fitment wheels, I believe it is et30. But I run it up front paired with a 20mm spacer for an effective offset of 10. This only works with significant negative camber, which will drive horrible when utilized on the street. And yes, beyond one full turn on the steering wheel, the tires do rub the fender liners significantly. I never turn completely full lock as it would squish my brake ducts, and the GC sway bar link heims don't really allow significant travel either (on the to do list to replace).
                Attached Files

Comment

• ugelli193
                  ugelli193 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love the car btw, very similar look to what I have in mind. Thanks for sharing

why the heck are you guys lowering your cars? You do know that totally changes the way the suspension and steering that we covet in these cars so much, to change and be much worse? I run my car at stock ride height and rake and it handles so much better than a lowered car

T

Comment

Because it is apparently more about form than actual function.
                  75 M2
                  88 M3

Comment

ugelli193 - You didn't mention what wheels you are considering, but ECS has these in stock. I mention them as they are 8x17 ET20. A 235 tire will fit on the wheel and the wheel will fit without any spacers.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-team-dyn....2-78020q-mkt/
                    1990 M3

Comment

Thanks for the comments/data points. That’s all I was looking for, not I debate of form vs function. I’ll be the first to admit I do not track or daily my car.

For anyone wondering, I’m looking at Kansei KNP wheels In bronze as it has a similar look as some of the old school rally wheels and also has a step lip, which I believe looks great on these cars. I know there are alternative and more reputable brands around here but that’s beside the point.

Comment

Originally posted by ugelli193 View Post
                        Thanks for the comments/data points. That’s all I was looking for, not I debate of form vs function. I’ll be the first to admit I do not track or daily my car.

For anyone wondering, I’m looking at Kansei KNP wheels In bronze as it has a similar look as some of the old school rally wheels and also has a step lip, which I believe looks great on these cars. I know there are alternative and more reputable brands around here but that’s beside the point.
                        Are those wheels made in our bolt pattern?
                        1989 Lachs
                        1988 Lachs - sold
                        1988 DS - sold
                        Bay Area M3 FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Konig View Post

Are those wheels made in our bolt pattern?
                          Yes they offer a 5x120 with 72.56mm hubbore.

Comment

Working...
                          X