E28 M5 Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E28 M5 Wheels

I hope to close on an E28 M5 soon. It comes with an assortment of aftermarket 16" wheels. I have only stock 15" wheels for the M3s, but I'm thinking about tire strategies and interchangeability between the M5 and the M3s.

I understand that stock M5 wheels have an ET20 offset. I bet that the aftermarket wheels either have that offset or spacers that get to that offset. Looking at posts on this board, I gather that M5 wheels with an ET20 offset will fit on an M3. Anyone out there have a contrary experience?

I've also read some posts about the front anti-rattle clip and the need to loosen it for stock E28 M5 wheels. What's the group experience with this? Loosen or not? And where is it and how do you loosen it?

Thanks for the help.

the E28M5 wheels are a direct fit (with 225/45R16 tyres). I did not have to remove the anti-rattle clip after putting on new discs and pads I think your mixing up with E34M5 wheels where this is an issue.
    These are E28M5 wheels:

Comment

mine fit perfect. 16X7.5 ET20 225-45

Comment

Same with mine. no rubbing on 225/45 and no issues with new pads either. The problem you may run into is if you are trying to use the same set of wheels on both cars. The M5 uses a 225/50 which is tall for the M3 and may rub. The flip side is a 225/45 may look funny on the M5 being a shorter sidewall.

Originally posted by ///Mflossin
        mine fit perfect. 16X7.5 ET20 225-45

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of putting some 225/45s om one set of rims for autocross duty -- mostly with the STX E30, but occasionally with the M5.

Comment

price of e28 M5 wheels

I am looking at a set of 4 now, but 2 of them are bent but repairable.
            what what is the going price for a straight set?
            I have to figure in the cost to straighten the bent ones so I am wondering if they are worth it.
            GraemeD

Comment

not cheap. I'd expect to pay atleast $600

Comment

Wow, my first post here and its reviving a 4 year old thread!

Originally posted by hardtailer View Post
                the E28M5 wheels are a direct fit (with 225/45R16 tyres). I did not have to remove the anti-rattle clip after putting on new discs and pads I think your mixing up with E34M5 wheels where this is an issue.
                I thought it was the E38 16"x8" ET23 BBS wheels that hit the anti rattle clip? Ive got some on mine that do :shit:

Looking at various part numbers, the E28 M5 and E34 M5 16"x7.5" BBS wheels are the same part number. Can anyone confirm if they are different to each other and which one will fit the M3 without spacers (Im running stock brakes)?

Cheers

James

Comment

Working...
                X