245/40/17 - Fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 245/40/17 - Fitment

Will they fit/clear the fenders? Un rolled fenders, Eibach competition springs, stock sway bars.

I've read the threads in the archives, but there didn't seem to be a final consensus..?

I don't want to start pulling fender lips because the tires are to large. They are on 17x8 wheels, e36 offset. I have 15/18/20mm spacers to use...

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

I understand that these will fit in the rear without problem (with the correct offset, of course). I also believe that they will fit in the front with enough negative camber, fender liners removed and the correct offset. I will be mounting 245/40/17 Hoosier R6s on 17X8 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1s on a JP E30 M3 in our shop soon (as soon as Bimmerworld get's their shipment). Update to follow.

Christopher
    Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

That's a lot of rubber.

I went with 235 40 17 due to reluctance to roll fenders.
      I'll be using 10mm spacers on the ET40 wheels.

I'm with Christopher on this one.
      I think you'll need camber plates.

I have 225 50 16 on my car which, looking at a Kumho chart is 24.9" diameter and 9.2" wide on a 7" wheel.
      There is rubbing, fore and aft in the front wheelwells with steering lock applied.

The 245 40 look to be 24.7" dia and 9.8" wide on an 8.5(median width )wheel.

There will be a variance in actual size between tyre manufacturers of course.

m

Comment

after speaking with numerous guys (Markus and few others included) I went with 245/35/17 in the back on a 9.5 rim. I think this is the perfect size for the rear. In the front it will not fit without the mods. If you run spacers in the front - forget it.
        215/40/17 for the front if you are using 20mm spacers

Comment

I've got 215 on one set of 8" wheels now.
          To small, gives it a stretched look..

Perhaps I'll just skip it and get some new tires.

Thanks for the input guys!
          Chris L.

Comment

I'm running 245/40/17's on 9" rears and it is a good fit. However it gives me a lot of understeer. I'll be looking at 235's or even 225's next set of tires.

I have 225/35/17 on my 8" fronts and they are perfect imo.

Ash

Sold...

Comment

Originally posted by WBSAK03
              I understand that these will fit in the rear without problem (with the correct offset, of course). I also believe that they will fit in the front with enough negative camber, fender liners removed and the correct offset. I will be mounting 245/40/17 Hoosier R6s on 17X8 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1s on a JP E30 M3 in our shop soon (as soon as Bimmerworld get's their shipment). Update to follow.

Christopher
              Please let us know how this turns out. I am looking into the exact same setup, since that seems to be the closest tire size Hoosier offers. I am going with 235/40/17 RA1's in the meantime (also waiting on the TD's to come back in stock at BimmerWorld)

Comment

I have only seen one M3 with 245 on it. but they were on 9" BBS RGR's with a 25mm spacer. tire was 245/35/17 if I remember correctly. the m5 wheels I have originally came with tires ment for the e34 (235/45/17) and they mutilated the fender and fender liners from a small amount of turning. there is no way a 245/40 will fit on an 8" wheel and not be too tall and tear up the fender. even if you roll the lip in, the tire will hit the fender if the suspension is compressed while turning. if your planning on getting tires for your RC's then id stick with 235/40's
                ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

I know Micheal Abrahams (Bavarian3) and his dad run 245/40/17's on their M3's on Kopi wheels I believe. I'd like to hear how they got them to fit? Euro Fenders? Some serious modifications?

Comment

This wheel and tire setup was run on an e30 m3, with us spec fenders and rolled lips for Auto-X use. I know it would work.... but I think the vehicles suspension was much stiffer than mine.

I have 4 new F1 GSD3's on my RC's. I just wish they werent 215.
                    Chris L.

Comment

215 are tiny. 235/40/17 fits fine (Gruppe N springs/Bilstein Sports) no rubbing/etc... 245/40/17 would fit too, just might have to roll the fenders in the front.

Who makes a 245/40 street tire? I believe there are more choices in 235/40 than 245/40.
                      Last edited by Bavarian3; 08-10-2006, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Just about everybody makes a 245 40 17 street tyre.
                        235 40 17 R comps are harder to get....Toyo and Hankook seem to be the only choices.

m

Comment

That's a bit wide for a 8" wheel. Not that it won't work just the wheel is narrow.
                          Get your GFCP fix here SCDA
                          Fast E30 M3s come from here Vintage Sports and Racing
                          Race in your backyard!! T-Karts
                          Don't shoot your mouth off unless its loaded.

Comment

I run 245/40/17 hoosiers one 17x9 team dynamics wheels, have the carbon/kevlar fenders from jedm3 and they fit all around. I thing they will fit stock fenders on anything less then 9in wide. I also have 235/40/17 ra-1's on the same rims and it fits perfect, they are the same size as 230/610/17 slicks which the car is made for

Shes sold now :(

Comment

Andrew, what offset are you using?
                              Spacers?

m

Comment

Working...
                              X