18" wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18" wheels.

Hi All. I'm looking at purchasing some new wheels. I'm currently running 17" OZ's with 225/35/17 tires. they fit nice but are too ricey, not german enough for me. I'm thinking of going with ACS replicas or BBS LM replicas in 18". I've found both for sale reasonably at the moment but have some questions for those running 18" wheels on there M3's. First I need to know the offset. The LM's which I've found for sale brand new locally are offset 35?? Will that work? Will I need spacers or will they rub? The stock offset is 27 is it not? Also what size tires will I be able to squeeze on these rims they are both 8.5" wide. I would like to run some 235's probably but then what profile would I need to keep the circumfrence the same? They are both about the same price. I wonder which would look nicer???
    Thanks to all for there help.
    :craze:
    BBS LM
    76.92%
    ACS
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

87' E30 M3 Evo 1
    91' MB 190E 2.5 16V

Post some pics of your current wheels!
    -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have permission to post pictures? Something to do with 45 posts or something. PM Me I can send you pic's and you can post maybe?
      87' E30 M3 Evo 1
      91' MB 190E 2.5 16V

Comment

Les, here's a pic of your car that I've still got kicking around

Er, it's huge and I don't have anything decent on my laptop to resize with, I'll do it later when I get home, for now here's a link to the full size

http://www.sfu.ca/~devonw/m3/EVO2.jpg
        Last edited by Stan10; 07-04-2007, 11:40 AM.
        Trystan W.

Comment

Thanks Trystan.
          87' E30 M3 Evo 1
          91' MB 190E 2.5 16V

Comment

Here are some pics of Les' car / wheels:

-AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Thanks for Posting for Me!
              87' E30 M3 Evo 1
              91' MB 190E 2.5 16V

Comment

Hi Les

I totally understand your desire to change wheels. Those OZ don't look right on an M3. Nonetheless, I still think you should NOT install anything bigger than 17" wheels. It will make the car drive funny because of:
                a) 18" wheels are heavier
                b) the rubber band tire thickness
                c) the limited choice of rubber

You could get some nice original 17" Hartge, Alpina or AC Schnitzer wheels if looking German is your goal, but don't buy repros. Usually, they are too heavy and not as strong as originals.
                Last edited by LeeVuong; 07-04-2007, 11:56 AM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                1989 M3 racecar
                e39 Touring

Comment

17" is the best IHMO
                  Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                  Born date 01/88
                  Ryan

Comment

I'd really like to get my hands on some Alpina wheels, but I haven't found them for sale anywhere. I appreciate your advice. I am Happy with the ride on my 17's. The grip is amazing. And it's not an overly annoying "harsh ride".
                    Perhaps I should reconsider and keep my eye's open for some nicer 17's.
                    87' E30 M3 Evo 1
                    91' MB 190E 2.5 16V

Comment

Originally posted by M3Evo1 View Post
                      Hi All. I'm looking at purchasing some new wheels. I'm currently running 17" OZ's with 225/35/17 tires. they fit nice but are too ricey, not german enough for me. I'm thinking of going with ACS replicas or BBS LM replicas in 18". I've found both for sale reasonably at the moment but have some questions for those running 18" wheels on there M3's. First I need to know the offset. The LM's which I've found for sale brand new locally are offset 35?? Will that work? Will I need spacers or will they rub? The stock offset is 27 is it not? Also what size tires will I be able to squeeze on these rims they are both 8.5" wide. I would like to run some 235's probably but then what profile would I need to keep the circumfrence the same? They are both about the same price. I wonder which would look nicer???
                      Thanks to all for there help.
                      :craze:
                      the staggered 18x8 and 18x9 BBS LM reps are 35 and 38mm, so you will need 20mm spacers int he front and proly 10mm spacers in the back. You can run 245/35/18 in the back and 225/35 in the front with no problem or 235/35/18 all around. I may have a set for sale either in nogaro silver or BBS gold

Comment

^I have those 18" LM replicas with 20mm offset.
                        Terrance

Comment

I have BBS RC et13...225/35/18... a couple of pics below.
                          17's should look well also. Personal preference.......

18's were on my car when purchased.....cool to me. Of course I don't track her or anything. Simply for cruising the streets and taking a few tight twist and turns here and there. Handles like a go cart!!!

I have no issues with my 18's. Extremely minor rubbing during extremely tight turns. Slightly rolled the fenders....no spacers.

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/558...7465983_rs.jpg
                          http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/759...5542556_rs.jpg

Comment

those replicas are probably cast not forged and will most likely be very heavy. I ran 26lb 18x8 m parallel replicas for a while when i first got my car. the handling was soo sluggish compared to the stock basketweaves. Ride quality was very poor because the tire i was using was very thin. i think 225 35s. that was at stock ride height. tires still rubbed at full lock with the stock springs and shocks.
                            I ditched those heffers pretty fast and stuck with my stock wheels untill i could afford a quality set of wheels, bbs rs. Stock wheel weight is i think 14lbs if you are at stock power it would be a good idea to stay with a wheel pretty close to this weight.

correct me if im wrong but i believe the factory offset is 20mm front and rear
                            Last edited by Dougy Fresh; 07-05-2007, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougy Fresh View Post
                              those replicas are probably cast not forged and will most likely be very heavy. I ran 26lb 18x8 m parallel replicas for a while when i first got my car. the handling was soo sluggish compared to the stock basketweaves. Ride quality was very poor because the tire i was using was very thin. i think 225 35s. that was at stock ride height. tires still rubbed at full lock with the stock springs and shocks.
                              I ditched those heffers pretty fast and stuck with my stock wheels untill i could afford a quality set of wheels, bbs rs. Stock wheel weight is i think 14lbs if you are at stock power it would be a good idea to stay with a wheel pretty close to this weight.

correct me if im wrong but i believe the factory offset is 20mm front and rear

24mm

your tires rubbed at full lock because the offset of those 18" replicas was wrong or the spacers your were using were wrong.

I don't have any rubbing issue with any of my 18" sets

Comment

Working...
                              X