Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about BBS RS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • question about BBS RS

    Hello.

    So I sold my e28 535is and I'm going to be searching for an e30 M3. Preferably white, or silver. The question I have is in regards to my wheels. I have a set of BBS RS. 8x16 et20. Pic below. I may be taking them apart and rebuilding them if I can get some help figuring out what's possible on an M3.

    I want to know, with my 8x16 et20 wheels if can swap out the lips for longer ones in the front and the rear to get a deeper dish. If yes. What size lips would I need to buy? I'd like to get as flush as possible with the fenders without poking or rubbing.

    Second. I have an opportunity to buy some additional sets of RS wheels which would need to be refurbed. this is a staggered set. fronts are 8x16 et11. The rears I can buy in either 9x16 or a 10x16 et24 or I can do a 9x16 or 10x16 et11. Will either of these work as far as et. If I went with the fatter wheels inthe rear, I would keep the lips the OEM size on fronts and rears as they are now with the set pictured below.

    Or should I just sell these, or trade for 17" BBS RS wheels instead?

    I hope my questions make sense.



    Last edited by evil6; 08-19-2007, 12:07 PM.

  • #2
    sell/trade for a set of 17", makes all the difference in the world

    16"



    17"



    16"



    17"



    I hope Jerry doesn't mind me posting pics of his car

    You can also get these 17" staggered ACTs from Hamann (member on this site), I think he is selling the set that he bought from me. They were painted nogaro silver and have lockable center caps, these rims came from Markus in Germany

    Comment


    • #3
      17's if your after looks?
      Not easy to find, But they do pop up now and then
      Good luck in finding a new car
      Evo
      ____________________
      1990 Sport Evolution
      1995 Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evoluzione

      Comment


      • #4
        16" are far better than 17" in my opinion. I think the 17" are a current fad but 16" are traditional.
        Jim

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jim View Post
          16" are far better than 17" in my opinion. I think the 17" are a current fad but 16" are traditional.
          Jim
          Thanks Jim. After comparing both pics, I have to agree with you. I prefer the 16" look. I also like to have more rubber.

          So I did some search here and correct me if I'm wrong. this staggered setup appears to work on the M3:

          8x16 et20 front
          9x16 et24 rear.

          Can I get away with et20 in the rear?

          Is a 10x16 et24 possible in the rear or am I pushing it?
          Last edited by evil6; 08-19-2007, 03:23 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by vlad View Post
            sell/trade for a set of 17", makes all the difference in the world

            16"



            Vlad. If you happen to know, what are the specs on the front and rear 16s?

            Comment


            • #7
              With the 9" at the rear you will get some rubbing issues...although usually very little and under load (when someone is sitting the the back seat). Some guys roll the fenders.
              Cheers,
              Jim

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jim View Post
                With the 9" at the rear you will get some rubbing issues...although usually very little and under load (when someone is sitting the the back seat). Some guys roll the fenders.
                Cheers,
                Jim
                ok. So I should be golden with what I have 8x16, et20 for front and rear. Right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by evil6 View Post
                  ok. So I should be golden with what I have 8x16, et20 for front and rear. Right?
                  I had a staggered set but now have 4 - 8 x 16's et20 on my Cabrio and I love it! NO rubbing issues at all and there is very little difference in looks between the 8 & 9 on back. The other consideration is with a staggered set is you have to decide with tires size. Do you also go with 225 and 245? or do you go with 225 all around and stretch the rears? If you go with 245 then that raises the back up an inch over the front...a look which is more like a hot rod or drag racer than what I think the M3 should be. I prefer the slight rake of the original design which 4- 8" on 225 will give you.
                  However, Vlad is right that 17's are the most popular size these days followed by the staggered sets if you want to emphasize that modded look.
                  Cheers,
                  Jim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jim View Post
                    I had a staggered set but now have 4 - 8 x 16's et20 on my Cabrio and I love it! NO rubbing issues at all and there is very little difference in looks between the 8 & 9 on back. The other consideration is with a staggered set is you have to decide with tires size. Do you also go with 225 and 245? or do you go with 225 all around and stretch the rears? If you go with 245 then that raises the back up an inch over the front...a look which is more like a hot rod or drag racer than what I think the M3 should be. I prefer the slight rake of the original design which 4- 8" on 225 will give you.
                    However, Vlad is right that 17's are the most popular size these days followed by the staggered sets if you want to emphasize that modded look.
                    Cheers,
                    Jim
                    Thanks I may with another brand. My primary reason to own the M3 is spirited driving on 16" RSs. :drive:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What is the suspension setup on Jerry's car with the 16"s? I've got 16" RS wheels but with quite a bit of wheel gap in comparison. I'm running H&R sport suspension and Blistein shocks.

                      Amit


                      '89 M3
                      '11 1M
                      '12 MINI JCW
                      '89 325i (Chumpcar)
                      www.electricpixel.ca

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        he cut his springs, you can also remove spring pads for extra drop

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jim View Post
                          16" are far better than 17" in my opinion. I think the 17" are a current fad but 16" are traditional.
                          Jim
                          Maybe, but I wish the paucity of tires available that are appropriate to these cars was a fad, as well.

                          The 17s sure look nice, but the car doesn't exactly suck on 15s and there are plenty of options there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by evil6 View Post
                            Hello.

                            So I sold my e28 535is and I'm going to be searching for an e30 M3. Preferably white, or silver. The question I have is in regards to my wheels. I have a set of BBS RS. 8x16 et20. Pic below. I may be taking them apart and rebuilding them if I can get some help figuring out what's possible on an M3.

                            I want to know, with my 8x16 et20 wheels if can swap out the lips for longer ones in the front and the rear to get a deeper dish. If yes. What size lips would I need to buy? I'd like to get as flush as possible with the fenders without poking or rubbing.

                            Second. I have an opportunity to buy some additional sets of RS wheels which would need to be refurbed. this is a staggered set. fronts are 8x16 et11. The rears I can buy in either 9x16 or a 10x16 et24 or I can do a 9x16 or 10x16 et11. Will either of these work as far as et. If I went with the fatter wheels inthe rear, I would keep the lips the OEM size on fronts and rears as they are now with the set pictured below.

                            Or should I just sell these, or trade for 17" BBS RS wheels instead?

                            I hope my questions make sense.
                            I'd say just keep the 16s for now and try to find a set of 17s as well. Here's a couple of pics of my DS car with 8x16 et 20 all around, running 225/45s all around as well.






                            Same wheels mounted on my AW car.




                            The DS car will be sporting these soon. 8.5 & 9.5 x 17s:gotcha:




                            Rey
                            Last edited by ///M0F01SD; 08-20-2007, 10:29 PM.
                            "Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're ALIVE or that you really LIVE...." - Rise Against


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I believe Jerry had 2 inch lips from and 3 inch rear. The rear were rolled and still rubbed.

                              Personally I like the 16's.

                              Also 16 with smaller tires (say a 225/40 rather than 225/45) look like 17's yet you get better gear ratios and the ride height in lower. It's all about being proportionate to the other.


                              www.Sports-car-restoration.com


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X