Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed - ACT Wheel Center Caps

Groupe,

I'm looking for some assistance in trying to find the proper way to attach ACT center caps to the wheel.
    Currently, I have the center cap, and the wheel. I have no bolts/screws/etc.
    Looking at the face of the wheel, there are no threaded holes for a fastener to screw into from the center cap.
    There is an oblong area that looks to align with the mounting holes/sections on the center cap.

Is there any chance anyone could post photos of the wheel face, center cap (backside) and any miscelaneous hardware used to install these center caps onto the wheels? The wheels are sitting here in need of the center caps... and I have no idea how to make this work! :sailor:

Thank you in advance,
    -Chris
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Hi Chris.

You are missing a round plastic ring that goes between the center cap and the wheel. Without it, the cap will be a bit lower than the face of the wheel. Also, you need a counterscrew bolt with a coded head that matches the coded key. You can use a regular counterscrew bolt with Allen head. It is strange that your wheel has no provision to bolt that screw. I have had 3 sets of ACT LS wheels in different sizes and the caps were interchangeable.
    Last edited by LeeVuong; 04-20-2008, 02:24 PM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Comment

Lee,

The center cap is perfectly flush with the face of the wheel as-is, without any plastic spacers. These are older multi-piece ACT wheels... prior to the "Ronal(?)/ACT" merger... If I was to add a spacer/plastic ring, the center cap would be on a plane outside of the face of the wheel.

I too was confused as to how the centercaps are supposed to attach given there are no provisions for a screw/bolt/etc. to be attached to the wheels face. I've seen (and have) the coded key/bolt...

Perhaps I can get some photos and post them here to better explain...

-Chris

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here are photos of the center caps & wheels in question....

(Please don't tell me that they are the wrong cap's for the wheels!) eeeek!

-C

Center Cap front:

Center Cap Back:

Wheel Face:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Do the photos help decipher my enigma? :ha:

TIA guys!
      -Chris
      Last edited by UNHCLL; 04-22-2008, 03:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Chris L.

Comment

Okay. Now I see it. The wheel has no provision for a securing system (bolt). Cap and wheel look different from the ACT/Ronal item. The Ronal wheel has a threaded bung to secure the cap, but doesn't have the twisting/locking system as yours.

Newer style. You can se the threaded bung, and the absence of twisting/locking slots.

Nonetheless, I think that you have the proper cap for your wheel. Look at your center hub face. There's a notch cast into it. I think you are missing a special screw to go into that notch to lock up the cap. The back of your cap shows a threaded hole. Probably used to fasten your "special" bolt from the back.

Last edited by LeeVuong; 04-22-2008, 04:02 AM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
        1989 M3 racecar
        e39 Touring

Comment

Lee,

You and I are on the same page there!
          I am not sure what special parts I don't have... haha! My best guess was something that fits into the recess/notch on the wheel face, and then is held in place by that area & the corresponding wheel bolt that is next to it?

The search continues! Thanks for the help thus far!

-Chris
          Chris L.

Comment

Still researching a solution... :ha:
            Chris L.

Comment

hmmmm, my ACT's look like Lee's, they have the threaded part for the cap to secure to.

My solution for you my friend is to run capless and sell me the caps since i only have 3:uhoh:

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
              they are not idiots.

Comment

The cap just twist in place (clockwise to tighten) and then there is a lock that lock (I see you missing the lock on the center cap) into the grove at 5 o'clock in your pic Chris. Ask Markus to see his lock since he has a set on Ebay right now. The lock just tune 90 degree to lock in the grove to prevent the cap turn counter clockwise.
                Last edited by d2a4; 04-30-2008, 07:02 PM.
                Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                Born date 01/88
                Ryan

Comment

Thanks for the FYI Ryan!

Time to start searching suppliers/resources.

-Chris
                  Chris L.

Comment

The lock pretty unique. I am sure Markus can snap a pic for you.
                    Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                    Born date 01/88
                    Ryan

Comment

hey Chris

your centre cap is from a 16 or 17 inch 3pcs ACT wheel-
                      These 3pcs ones use a keylock system.
                      So your centre cap needs only a pivot/lock with a key
                      The normal 1pcs ACT wheels use only a simple bolt to close the centres
                      the 3pcs ones are always with keys
                      look here

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

Markus,

The wheels the caps are going on are 3 piece wheels, so they should work together I assume?

Do you have the needed keys/locks to complete a set for these, or would you know where I'd be able to source them? It's the last element in a very long project, so I'm antsy to get it all buttoned up!

Thanks in advance,
                        -Chris
                        Chris L.

Comment

yes they are for 3pcs ones....
                          if you don't have that keylock it could happen that you'll loos the centre.
                          Hmm i have only 3 keylocks for ACT wheels....
                          i'll try to find some...not easy because ACT is now Ronal and they don't have old parts for these wheels.

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

Did you find these locks?
                            I need a set of locks also.

Comment

No, I was never was able to source a set of locks by themselves.

-Chris
                              Chris L.

Comment

Working...
                              X