225 vs 205 Rubber recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225 vs 205 Rubber recommendations

On stock 15's for street/track use. I run Mich PE2 225/50/15. Is that 225 too much again?
    What will I notice if I go to stock 205's?

Love the Mich PE2's Love 'em and trust em when it counts!

Go with 225/45/15 as opposed to 225/50/15. Either will work fine as I have run both sizes on the track. You might get a little scuffing on the strut tube depending on how much camber you run stock but it will not cause any real problems.

225s are substantially more tire, so steering inputs will feel a little heavier but your grip envelope as well as braking power will increase.

Try the Nitto NT-01 in the 45 series. It's one of the less expensive R-comp tires that work fine on stock rims. I've tried several different R compound tires both shaved and unshaved and they are top 2, but they wear the best out of all the tires I've driven on.

Plus with the 45s there is the little extra umph from shorter tires.

Stock rims are cheap, get a second set for track tires and use a set for streets.

(Street tires ARE rain tires at the track, that's if you're not winning money or fame from it....)

Comment

Originally posted by OnrailsM3 View Post
      Try the Nitto NT-01 in the 45 series. It's one of the less expensive R-comp tires that work fine on stock rims. I've tried several different R compound tires both shaved and unshaved and they are top 2, but they wear the best out of all the tires I've driven on.
      No need to shave the NT-01's right? Those will probably be my next set when my RA1's are gone.
      Dominic

Comment

Clarify

I'm interested in what I may lose and gain by going with 205/50/15 vs the 225/50/15. Same Michelin PE2 rubbers.
        Mostly Street Daily driver. Will eventually have alternate set for DE events at track.
        Last edited by mbolegs; 01-07-2009, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic View Post
          No need to shave the NT-01's right? Those will probably be my next set when my RA1's are gone.
          No need to shave.
          I love NT-01's. They're not a fast tire but the ware like iron and remain extremely consistent throughout their life. Which makes them a great practice tire.

Comment

Originally posted by mbolegs View Post
            I'm interested in what I may lose and gain by going with 205/50/15 vs the 225/50/15. Same Michelin PE2 rubbers.
            Mostly Street Daily driver. Will eventually have alternate set for DE events at track.
            Mike,
            The stock size is 205/55R15. I run 225/50R15 and it sounds like that's what you're running right now too. I would just stick with those. Is there some reason you're thinking of going back down to the stock size?

Sorry about getting your thread off on a tangent about the NT-01s...
            Dominic

Comment

size

I cant find the mich PE2 in 225 anymore. at least at TR. And just the basic fact that they are stock. Those engineers knew well what they were doing. Im feeling as if the 225 are overkill for the stock rims.
              so a bit of a draw between loving the PE2 and not finding the 225s available anymore.
              Did you ever run 205s?

Comment

I cant find the mich PE2 in 225 anymore. at least at TR. And just the basic fact that they are stock. Those engineers knew well what they were doing. Im feeling as if the 225 are overkill for the stock rims.
                so a bit of a draw between loving the PE2 and not finding the 225s available anymore.
                Did you ever run 205s?

Find a better tire in 225, 205 is too narrow for these cars with any suspension work.

Comment

the only thing I would do with 205s is use them for snow tires. i believe stock is 205/55/15 btw
                  Mark Williams
                  Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OnrailsM3 View Post
                    Find a better tire in 225, 205 is too narrow for these cars with any suspension work.
                    I know what you mean - but I also think that half the fun is being able to toss the car around - with 205's, the car is very agile in feel, and it's easier to reach the limits of the tires when they're only 205's - so in other words, you have fun earlier

Of course, you lose out on the maximum G-potential, so I guess you have less TOTAL fun , haha :smile2:

But I like 205's.
                    -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

I feel the car is fine on 7" with 205's but if you step to an 8" 225's suit the car so much better.

I so can't wait till spring is here, I picked up my to Sparco from Brendan and some Revolution RFX's with RA1 in 225-50-15s with 4 days on them for $450.
                      Who knows where I'll be, changes from day to Continent.

Comment

trust michelins

I trust the Michelin's too much. Im ordering the PE2 in 205/50/15. I like the idea of tossing around a bit more. I will update here after some use on the smaller rubber footprint and tell my opinions. Keep in mind most of my driving will be street fun and hwy fun.

I appreciate the varied suggestions. If only we had unlimited suppliers on unlimited parts waiting for us all to test their products whenever we wanted. Ha

Comment

Working...
                        X