215/40-17 vs. 225/40-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 215/40-17 vs. 225/40-17

Going to buy new tires for my M3, Toyo Proxes T1-R.

I'm thinking of changing the dimension to 225/40-17. The tire will then have 1859.87 mm of roll length compared to 1835.55 mm with 215/40-17.

I run 8.5" rim at front, and in my head the 215 is a bit small for the 8.5" at the autocrossing. The M3 did have 225's as OEM though.

So is there anyone running 225/40-17 at front? Issues?

I have coilovers on min that is lowered to max, but I would wanted another cm on the front to even the clearance from tire to fender. The 225's might help this as they are a bit bigger. But from another point of view I want the car as low to the ground in the front to get the right stuk on it.

Thanks for help!
    1987 BMW M3 E30

S50B32 swap thread http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43515

Just ordered 215/40-17 Toyo Proxes T1-R
    1987 BMW M3 E30

Comment

225 40 17 must be a Euro Market size. I would be well chuffed if I could obtain that size of Nitto NT01 for track.

m

Comment

tough size it is hard to come by

this is the perfect fit for our car for all the tires same size but very limited choices

Comment

After a search on the tire web page I could not fint 225/40-17s, wich would be a perfect fit.

So the choice had to be 215... Could run 225/35-17, but they did not come in T1-R.
          1987 BMW M3 E30

Comment

Originally posted by Larsen-Racing View Post
            After a search on the tire web page I could not fint 225/40-17s, wich would be a perfect fit.

So the choice had to be 215... Could run 225/35-17, but they did not come in T1-R.
            I'm on my second set of T1R's, had them previously on my 16" RS's, now on the 17" Alpina's and I have to say the 215/245 combo front and rear fit beautifully with absolutely no rubbing issues so far. I am also extremely happy with their performance in both wet and dry conditions, various temps etc.
            sigpic
            Click here to see the evolution of my E30 M3 Recent Pics My E30 M3 is sold but not forgotten:cry:

Comment

I loved running 235/40/17 r-compounds on my old M3

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
              they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by CAOSyAMOR View Post
                I'm on my second set of T1R's, had them previously on my 16" RS's, now on the 17" Alpina's and I have to say the 215/245 combo front and rear fit beautifully with absolutely no rubbing issues so far. I am also extremely happy with their performance in both wet and dry conditions, various temps etc.
                I'm very happy with mine as well, running the T1R's at rear now in 245/35-17. Only issue is the 2.50-3.00 degree negative camber, so they get worn only on the inside.

Hope the T1R wil give more grip at front then the old rubbish Eagle F1 GSD3 tires, they suck! I will never buy GoodYear for my car ever!
                1987 BMW M3 E30

Comment

any chance you can post up some pics of your 215/40/17 set-up with the 8.5" rim?
                  I am considering this also (as I have 8.5" and 235/40/17 all round).

A few shops think that 215 is a little too stretched on an 8.5" but I have yet to see any real close-up pics.

Laurence
                  Crusin' down da road.. 142dB, life is good.

Comment

I will post in your thread!
                    1987 BMW M3 E30

Comment

I have 225 40 17 Nitto NT555's on my 17x8" BBS RGR's. They fit great - no stretch - no rubbing - and they have the same overall diameter as a 205 50 16, which is a commonly used non-M3 E30 size.

I really think you guys should try the 225 40 17's --- the Nitto NT555 has been a really nice tire so far, w/ over 1k miles on them.

And who knows, if more 225 40 17's are purchased, maybe the market will open up... ?
                      -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Where did you get the Nitto's `?
                        1987 BMW M3 E30

Comment

Originally posted by Larsen-Racing View Post
                          Where did you get the Nitto's `?
                          www.discounttire.com

Discount Tire @ $500 per set
                          -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

I have 225 40 17 Nitto NT555's on my 17x8" BBS RGR's. They fit great - no stretch - no rubbing - and they have the same overall diameter as a 205 50 16, which is a commonly used non-M3 E30 size.
                            I run this same combo but with style 5's. Mine rub the fender liners like crazy when i'm backing up but going forward there's no problem. Weird.
                            Ohh, I have 3mm spacers in the front........
                            David
                            Redwood City, CA

Comment

Originally posted by drinaldis View Post
                              I run this same combo but with style 5's. Mine rub the fender liners like crazy when i'm backing up but going forward there's no problem. Weird.
                              Ohh, I have 3mm spacers in the front........

Well, there are a number of variables, such as:

- Offset vs standard / non-offset lower control arm bushings installed
                              - Suspension ride height
                              - Suspension stiffness
                              - Wheel width
                              - Wheel offset
                              - Tire size
                              - Camber

I used to have some rubbing up front on my E30 M3 when I first bought it - 225 45 16's on 16x8 et24 wheels, non-offset control arm bushings, with stock factory suspension and front camber. Very annoying.

Now I'm running 225 40 17's, which are slightly taller than 225 45 16's, 17x8 et20, and offset control arm bushings on a very low and reasonably firm suspension, with OE offset strut mounts --- no rubbing at all.

If you have old control arm bushings, especially the ones that are not solid rubber, they can allow enough movement in the suspension for your wheel to rub in the well.

I think my combo of offset control arm bushings, offset strut mounts, and wheel offset is what solved it for me.
                              Last edited by Low Level; 09-08-2009, 06:14 AM.
                              -AJ

-'88 Henna Red-

Comment

Working...
                              X