215/40/17 vs 235/40/17 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 215/40/17 vs 235/40/17 review

I've been running 235/40/17 for about 10 years on my M3. So I got a set of 215/40/17 tires for my Style 5's yesterday and wanted to share my impressions since people always ask.

Pros: lightweight, cheaper, shows the rim better, doesn't rub, better acceleration, fits inside fender wells better so you can really dump the car low.

Cons: doesn't fill up the fender wells (good if you lower the car more/bad if you have too much fender gap), slightly smaller than stock diameter, not as wide as 235.

I really can't list too many things I don't like about them. If you don't need or use the wider contact patch of a 235, then it just doesn't make sense. For the street, it looks like 215/40/17 is the way to go.
    Last edited by Reelizmpro; 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

I agree with everything you said, except that 215/40/17 is the "proper" OD for a plus 2 upgrade from the stock OD with 15" BBS wheels and 205/55/15 tires. The 235/40/17 is off a wee bit (but who cares?) - they look awesome on the rear!

What spacer did you use on the fronts?

John

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
    I've been running 235/40/17 for about 10 years on my M3. So I got a set of 215/40/17 tires for my Style 5's yesterday and wanted to share my impressions since people always ask.

Pros: lightweight, cheaper, shows the rim better, doesn't rub, better acceleration, fits inside fender wells better so you can really dump the car low.

Cons: doesn't fill up the fender wells (good if you lower the car more/bad if you have too much fender gap), slightly smaller than stock diameter, not as wide as 235.

I really can't list too many things I don't like about them. If you don't need or use the wider contact patch of a 235, then it just doesn't make sense. For the street, it looks like 215/40/17 is the way to go.

Comment

my 215/235 combo is perfect also i couldnt agree more!
      my third set this way and I love it
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
        I agree with everything you said, except that 215/40/17 is the "proper" OD for a plus 2 upgrade from the stock OD with 15" BBS wheels and 205/55/15 tires. The 235/40/17 is off a wee bit (but who cares?) - they look awesome on the rear!

What spacer did you use on the fronts?

John
        Is it proper? Good to know. It is the closest to the original diameter. I didn't use any spacers in the front just hubrings. The clips have been grounded down.

Comment

One thing that people tend to overlook is how important the stock rolling diameter is in regards to the abs system. Too much of a difference and you can experience abs failure under hard breaking. Obviously not a problem if you have removed your abs but still something to consider.

Comment

I tried that, but grinding alone didn't quite clear the anti-rattle clips, so I opted for the minimal 3mm spacers in addition. Without modifying at least the clips the Style 5's "will rub"...ask me how I know (I have a nice groove cut into the back side of each front wheel!)

John

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
            Is it proper? Good to know. It is the closest to the original diameter. I didn't use any spacers in the front just hubrings. The clips have been grounded down.

Comment

Do you have any pics with all 4 wheels on 215?

Cheers

Comment

I think 3-5mm spacers would be perfect to widen the track and clear everything. In fact I think I have some laying around. I also seen people use washers but dunno how safe that is. My fronts do rub slightly but it's not terribly bad. I may add the spacers next time. I put the Epsilon's back on for a car show.

Excuse the cell phone pics...

The suspension isn't settled in the pictures.
                Last edited by Reelizmpro; 10-29-2009, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I'm in the exact same boat and have just gone 235/40/17 allround on 8" Style 5'S. The most noticeable difference I noted (not that big) was they are little more comfortable than the 215's... a little bit more bag to soak up the bumps. No real issues other than that.
                  I like the stance of the car a bit better too....touch more "level"

Az :gotcha:

"But most of all...
                  ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

No rubbing at all in the front? What's your secret?

Originally posted by Az in Oz View Post
                    I'm in the exact same boat and have just gone 235/40/17 allround on 8" Style 5'S. The most noticeable difference I noted (not that big) was they are little more comfortable than the 215's... a little bit more bag to soak up the bumps. No real issues other than that.
                    I like the stance of the car a bit better too....touch more "level"

Az :gotcha:

Comment

I get a very faint rubbing if I go over a "dip" at faster speeds. Kind of like the car sags a little. No secrets, I just ground off some stupid metal protrusion on the front section of the inner guard that was an issue. Presto!

They fill the guards nicely and look nice and chunky...matches our boxy flares perfectly

Az

Oh... and sacrificing a virgin on the full moon can't hurt
                      Last edited by Az in Oz; 10-29-2009, 09:54 PM.

"But most of all...
                      ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

Good discussion.

I'm in the exact same boat and have just gone 235/40/17 allround on 8" Style 5'S. The most noticeable difference I noted (not that big) was they are little more comfortable than the 215's... a little bit more bag to soak up the bumps.
                        Good feedback thanks. Knew that I really ought to change from 215 to 235 to help with the rather bad roads around where I live and decrease the chance of bending a rim. Sounds like it really will make a difference. Would be great to hear from more on how big a difference they felt.

Comment

215 is not the proper size. they are undersized. 225/40/17 is the proper size.

On an 8" rim, 215's are stretched and make the wheel much more vulnerable to bending and cracking. Any marginal weight savings or gearing change is offset by the significant decrease in grip vs. a 235.
                          ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

I am running 215/40/17 in the front... my car is dumped and it doesn't rub... 235's rubbed...
                            Have a nice day. :hi:

Comment

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post
                              215 is not the proper size. they are undersized. 225/40/17 is the proper size.

On an 8" rim, 215's are stretched and make the wheel much more vulnerable to bending and cracking. Any marginal weight savings or gearing change is offset by the significant decrease in grip vs. a 235.

I thought so. So it is slightly smaller than the original diameter but it's pretty close if I remember correctly. 225/40 is a wacky, hard to find size. I think there's only a couple manufacturers who make that size too. I agree with what you're saying but my thing is some may be willing to sacrifice a little grip (215 vs 235) for lighter (unsprung) weight, cheaper tires, no rubbing, etc.

I've since gone back to my 235/40/17 Epsilons but I liked the 215's on my Style 5's too.

Comment

Working...
                              X