No announcement yet.

215/40/17 vs 235/40/17 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to argue, but I have to disagree with both of your comments. According to Tire Rack 215/40/17 "is" the proper size to replace the stock 205/55/15....check it out for yourself. I did the math and it's very very close (215 is 0.10" smaller). 225/40's are fine (but 0.32" larger), but it's an oddball size and not many tires out there to select from. I'd have gone with 225/40's all around if there were decent tires in that size for the street, but there simply aren't any.

215/40/17 on an 8" rim "is not" stretched......it looks fine. I'm very particular about such things and I can tell you for a fact that it is absolutely "fine". Now 205's on an 8" rim "is" stretched...that's what my car had on it when I bought it 205/45/16's on a 16"x8" rim....the 205 was stretched!

I know there are tons of opinions on wheel & tire combos, but I did a ton of research before buying my Style 5's and tires to match...if I could get away with 235/40's on the front without "any" chance of rubbing I'd go that route...but they'll rub, so 215/40's it is. The 235/40's look awesome on the rear, and they are larger OD than stock but only by .53".

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post
    215 is not the proper size. they are undersized. 225/40/17 is the proper size.

On an 8" rim, 215's are stretched and make the wheel much more vulnerable to bending and cracking. Any marginal weight savings or gearing change is offset by the significant decrease in grip vs. a 235.

Comment

That's what this thread is for.

BTW, i have to mention that some 235/40's are larger than others too. I had Yokohoma AVS in 235/40 and they were more "bubbly" and rubbed a bit more than the Bridestones or Falkens I've had.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by Reelizmpro View Post
        That's what this thread is for.

BTW, i have to mention that some 235/40's are larger than others too. I had Yokohoma AVS in 235/40 and they were more "bubbly" and rubbed a bit more than the Bridestones or Falkens I've had.
        ha same here. I had some no name German tires in 235/40 on my Throwing Stars and Yokohama AVS ES100s and the Yoks rubber up front lock to lock.

A special thank you to:
        archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

I switched from 215s to 235s a couple of years ago, largely because all the track rubber comes in 235...

The 235 is a bit of a hassle to make work, unless you are willing to tolerate rubbing. I am not, I can't believe how much damage "slight" rubbing did in a short period of time. I went the steering rack stop route and messed with offset to fix the rubbing.

The 235s did negatively effect acceleration, probably partly because of more weight, but mostly because of slightly larger diameter. When I go to a 4.45 diff I am sure that issue will be corrected.

I completely agree though, for the street 215 is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhead View Post

I completely agree though, for the street 215 is better.
            are you saying 215s all around or just up front?

A special thank you to:
            archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yan-3 View Post
              are you saying 215s all around or just up front?
              All around...

The staggered setup really does make the car handle like crap....

Comment

All around...

The staggered setup really does make the car handle like crap....
                Does this also mean any staggered setup in regards to rims will be bad aswell? E.g. 9" rear rims and 8" front rims?

Cheers
                Last edited by intense_jono; 11-01-2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Some guys just hate staggering period! I have a set of stock BBS wheels that I'll certainly use if I tire of my staggered setup, but I doubt I'll "tire" of it...it looks great and I love the way it drives. Of course, I drive responsibly on the street and it's not a track car. [peace]

Mere physics will tell you staggering will lean toward understeer, but do most people really notice? I doubt it. My car had 9" rims on the rear and 8" rims on the front (16" Remotec Wheels), with larger tires on the rear also. Now that was really staggered! Previous owner liked that setup. I just didn't like the look.

So, I swapped that setup for E39 Style 5 Wheels, and now I have a much "less staggered" setup if you even can really call it staggered (since the rims are the same front and rear). I simply have slightly larger tires on the rear (235/40/17) with the 215/40/17's up front...to avoid rubbing....and I really hate the look of real "fat" tires on the front anyway. So, I'm perfectly content with this setup, as are others.

I'd say do whatever pleases you, based on the look you want and the way you drive. If you want "pure handling control" for autocrossing or on the track, I doubt staggering will be the best way to go.

Originally posted by intense_jono View Post
                  Does this also mean any staggered setup in regards to rims will be bad aswell? E.g. 9" rear rims and 8" front rims?

Cheers

Comment

I am not bagging on the staggered setup itself, when I first got my car I drove it that way for a while. It is fine from an appearance standpoint.

It only becomes a problem if you track the car or drive it anywhere near the limit. The staggered tires will make it plow.

Comment

I am not bagging on the staggered setup itself, when I first got my car I drove it that way for a while. It is fine from an appearance standpoint.

It only becomes a problem if you track the car or drive it anywhere near the limit. The staggered tires will make it plow.
                      Indeed.. Taking a corner aggressively or rounding a cloverleaf is enough. :HeadsSpinning:
                      Mark Williams
                      Dallas, TX

Nothing says "welcome to the neighborhood" like a search... oh wait... looks like they are all gone! :rastajake:

sigpic

Comment

Hey guys

For those who are interested I just installed a set of APEX wheels (17x8 ET20) with 235/4017 tires. There was slight rubbing in the back when going fast over dips in the road, but we rectified this by rolling/cutting the underneath part of the fender. In regards to the front, we installed caster bushes from an E36 M3 which pulled the wheel forward and hence prevented rubbing on the back of the fender. We also needed to cut a tiny bit off the inside wheel well as Aaron mentioned.

I hope this is helpful. The most important part were the caster bushes from the E36 M3. They also improve the steering of the car.

Comment

Hey guys

For those who are interested I just installed a set of APEX wheels (17x8 ET20) with 235/4017 tires. There was slight rubbing in the back when going fast over dips in the road, but we rectified this by rolling/cutting the underneath part of the fender. In regards to the front, we installed caster bushes from an E36 M3 which pulled the wheel forward and hence prevented rubbing on the back of the fender. We also needed to cut a tiny bit off the inside wheel well as Aaron mentioned.

I hope this is helpful. The most important part were the caster bushes from the E36 M3. They also improve the steering of the car.
                          Interesting to hear that you had rubbing in the back. Usually there is zero issue back there. I actually have room to fit my hand up to my knuckles between the tire and the fender in the rear and it's not even rolled. I'm assuming you've done something to remove some of the negative camber in the rear. (which would bring the tire closer to the fender)
                          ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

What do you guys think about 225/35/17's up front with the Yoko's? Considering they are a little more thicker than the other brands would it be similar to a 225/40/17 without the rubbing? I was looking to do these up front and 235/40/17 in the rear on 17 x 8.5 rs 212's and at the same time minimizing the stretching. Are the Nitto 555's any good? They are available in 225/40/17's. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 02fanatic View Post
                              215/40/17 on an 8" rim "is not" stretched......it looks fine. I'm very particular about such things and I can tell you for a fact that it is absolutely "fine".
                              I would respectfully disagree on your above statement. Keep in mind what is "fine" for you may not be acceptable to others. To me 215 on a 8" wheel was stretched and looked horrible. I ran this setup for 2 years too, so it wasn't like I didn't give it time to sink in. To me, having the main tread set inside the outer edge of the wheel is "stretched" and especially worse on low-profile tire setups.

Here are 215/40/17 on a 8" BBS wheel....

Compared to a 235/40/17 on a 8.5" wheel....

Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Hey guys

Good to hear Jono. What tyres did you end up getting?

[peace]

Az

"But most of all...
                                ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

Working...
                                X