• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They look great in the 2nd shot UNHCLL

"But most of all...
    ... I like the way you move......"

Comment

Ditto.....only other thing is if he has his car really "slammed" so the rear tires are inside the wheel well and they rub during hard cornering (and tire rubber thicknesses can vary). It's unusual having rub in the rear.

Originally posted by paintpro21 View Post
      Interesting to hear that you had rubbing in the back. Usually there is zero issue back there. I actually have room to fit my hand up to my knuckles between the tire and the fender in the rear and it's not even rolled. I'm assuming you've done something to remove some of the negative camber in the rear. (which would bring the tire closer to the fender)

Comment

I'm currently running 235/40/17's on 8.5" rims, et15. very slight rubbing towards lock in the front. Rear rubbed over any large undulation, which was alleviated with a minor fender roll. Tires are Pirelli rosso's, which I think handle great and look very asthetic. Had some Conti's before, same size tire but looked(and handled) like a 245. Like the Pirelli's better. IMHO 215 are too small. When I ran those on my prior M3, I just didn't drool as much every time I walked up to her.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
          I would respectfully disagree on your above statement. Keep in mind what is "fine" for you may not be acceptable to others. To me 215 on a 8" wheel was stretched and looked horrible. I ran this setup for 2 years too, so it wasn't like I didn't give it time to sink in. To me, having the main tread set inside the outer edge of the wheel is "stretched" and especially worse on low-profile tire setups.

Here are 215/40/17 on a 8" BBS wheel....

Compared to a 235/40/17 on a 8.5" wheel....

Thanks for the pictures UNHCLL, that really helped with my decision. The 235/40/17 will work for me. Car looks perfect.

Comment

wheels

I have a set of bbs rx 17x8 et 10. I am on stock suspension, what size tire will fit with out rubbing and haveing to roll the fenders? Is 215 40 17 my only option due to the et 10 off set?

Comment

215/40/17 is a pretty safe size, it shows off the rims better and doesn't rub. However, it doesn't fill out the wells and aren't as meaty. You can get away with 235/40 if you don't mind rubbing or rolling fenders, which you might have to do with ET10's all the way around.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
              85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
              91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

If i ran style 5's with a small spacer in front would 215/40 f and 235/40 r have any rubbing issues? Im on GC's with non rolled fenders.

Comment

are these 235/40/17's all the way around ??

Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by MARLANDO View Post
                    are these 235/40/17's all the way around ??

Thanks !
                    Yes.
                    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by Uber E30 View Post
                      If i ran style 5's with a small spacer in front would 215/40 f and 235/40 r have any rubbing issues? Im on GC's with non rolled fenders.
                      No, you'll be fine.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by intense_jono View Post
                        Hey guys

For those who are interested I just installed a set of APEX wheels (17x8 ET20) with 235/4017 tires. There was slight rubbing in the back when going fast over dips in the road, but we rectified this by rolling/cutting the underneath part of the fender. In regards to the front, we installed caster bushes from an E36 M3 which pulled the wheel forward and hence prevented rubbing on the back of the fender. We also needed to cut a tiny bit off the inside wheel well as Aaron mentioned.

I hope this is helpful. The most important part were the caster bushes from the E36 M3. They also improve the steering of the car.
                        I would like to see a picture of the bushes installed. The OEM offset bush for the E30 M3 is as far out of centre as the lollipop will allow and with these the wheel is pushed forward already and makes a 235/40 rubbing quite a bit on full lock. So I wonder how you got away with front rubbing by pushing the wheel even more forward.

On a side note to the OE poster: DO NOT by 225/35/17. I had a set and it drives dreadful, there is just not enough rubber between rim and road and you drive slalom around pot holes to avoid buckling your rims.

I agree that 235/40 (all corners) is the best tyre for the M3. IF you can get rid of the rubbing and sort the gearing out.

Also bought one tyre in 225/45/17 for trial fitting. My car is a track rat and I can cut as much metal away as I like to make it work (within reasons). There is much more tyre choice in this size for road legal R-compound
                        Last edited by UweM3; 12-15-2009, 07:59 PM.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                          I agree that 235/40 (all corners) is the best tyre for the M3. IF you can get rid of the rubbing and sort the gearing out.
                          I do have rubbing under full lock when turning in the front. This is present even with the tires worn down ~50%. I have not tried to make any adjustments yet to prevent this, but over the course of the summer it chewed up/destroyed my inner fender liners (the small ones that mount just behind the front bumper and to the side of the main under-tray).

-Chris
                          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

I had to install 3mm spacers up front on my Style 5's and grind my anti-rattle clips a little to get needed clearance from the front calipers. You will "only" be ok with Style 5's on the front if you either run a spacer (probably 5mm min) or remove the clips (which alot of guys do), or do a combination like I did. You cannot run Style 5's on the front without rubbing with the clips installed...ask me how I know! :-) I have nice "grooves" on the back side of both wheels in front from trying to run them w/o spacers and with the clips installed.

This is only for wheel clearance...for the tire I run 215/40/17's up front without issue....235/40's will rub.....I run 235/40's on the rear without issue. Is this staggered?....sort of...I have not had any issues with understeer and I love the look of the 235/40's on the rear...I'm chicken to run them up front as my front fenders & inner liners are perfect and I want to keep them that way!

Oh, I am running Yoko s.Drives...tires can vary a little in fitment...not sure how the GC's compare.

HTH,

John

Last edited by 02fanatic; 12-16-2009, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Hey John thanks for the info. Are you fenders rolled in the front or back? I had actually planed to do exactly what you did.

Comment

They're all rolled, yes. But, I figured they came that way stock. Glad to help.

Hey John thanks for the info. Are you fenders rolled in the front or back? I had actually planed to do exactly what you did.

Comment

Working...
                                X