215/40/17 vs 235/40/17 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the responses guys:peekaboo:

I will order some new control arms and see if that does the trick. I will report back if it works for others information down the road. I won't have an opportunity until I move at the end of August.

Comment

qwerte absolutely love those wheels! I chickened out and went with the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs but in 215/40-17 just tired of guessing and modifying. I do plan on installing the 96+ M3 CA's ASAP...
      Keep us posted, whoever tries it first... So we know all viable combinations.
      Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman View Post
        qwerte absolutely love those wheels! I chickened out and went with the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs but in 215/40-17 just tired of guessing and modifying. I do plan on installing the 96+ M3 CA's ASAP...
        Keep us posted, whoever tries it first... So we know all viable combinations.
        I am about 3 weeks out from trying the setup with the new control arms. I am moving to a new city next week, and hope that once things calm down I will be able to get new suspension and associate parts installed.

I will be sure to update when I try. The tires are pretty meaty, so I suspect I'll still have some massaging to do to minimize rub.

Comment

Well, I've got my tires fitting satisfactorily now.
          My setup is with 96+ E36 M3 control arms, and THR bushings.
          Wheels are ET13, with 235/40/17 rubber.

The new control arms gave me just enough clearance at the back of the wheel well, I had some rubbing on the front fender liner, but some trimming has resolved that issue.

The added caster from the control arms does cause the car to track a little bit more, also I find it provides stronger feedback in turns. No negative that I have noticed so far.

Comment

Is it possible to run 255/40/17 on the rears, my wheels are 17x10's OZ Futuras and I would like to know if 235/40/17 will work on my 17x8.5 OZ fituras in the fronts or should I go 225/40/17 in the fronts. I ordered 235/40/17 for the rear and 215/40/17 for the front and not really happy since it looks skinny in the front and stretched in the rear.. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I don't know about you guys but I can tolerate a little rubbing on the fender liners. The problem I'm having is when the front tire grabs the lip of the fender, bends it and cracks the paint. I'm running style 5's with a 3mm spacer along with 225/40/17 Nitto's all around. It's pretty low since I changed from stock strut mounts to Vorschlag camber plates.
              David
              Redwood City, CA

Comment

Sonny, maybe 255/35/17 in the rears to try and keep the diameter the same. Drinaldis, 225/40/17 is a good compromise but isn't a common size = /.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

That sounds like a great set-up (except I cannot tolerate rubbing "anywhere")....the main reason I went with 215/40/17's on my Style 5's is to avoid rubbing up front, and they "do not" looked stretched on a 17"x8" rim. I am also using a 3mm spacer on the front. But, 215's "do" look lost in the rear, so I opted for 235/40/17's there. After many discussions on this, and a ton of research, I am totally convinced that "except" for 225/40/17 tires (which have a somewhat limited selection) the 215/40 (front) & 235/40 (rear) is the way to go with 17"x8" Style 5's. It's not really a staggered setup (technically speaking) and cosmetically it works great "and" more importantly, it drives great.

Originally posted by drinaldis View Post
                  I don't know about you guys but I can tolerate a little rubbing on the fender liners. The problem I'm having is when the front tire grabs the lip of the fender, bends it and cracks the paint. I'm running style 5's with a 3mm spacer along with 225/40/17 Nitto's all around. It's pretty low since I changed from stock strut mounts to Vorschlag camber plates.
                  Last edited by 02fanatic; 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

If you can't rotate the wheels front to back then it's a staggered setup in my book. I agree, that it probably looks the best aesthetically though. I just like being about to rotate front to back and buying a matching set of 4 same sized tires.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                      I would respectfully disagree on your above statement. Keep in mind what is "fine" for you may not be acceptable to others. To me 215 on a 8" wheel was stretched and looked horrible. I ran this setup for 2 years too, so it wasn't like I didn't give it time to sink in. To me, having the main tread set inside the outer edge of the wheel is "stretched" and especially worse on low-profile tire setups.

Here are 215/40/17 on a 8" BBS wheel....

Compared to a 235/40/17 on a 8.5" wheel....

Chris,

What brand tires are you running on those RK's? I was thinking about the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs, but I know they run wide. That may not be a good idea. Since I just bought a set of those wheels I need to get serious about tires. I like the 235's on your car. I'm sitting on stock suspension so it might not look as good as yours.

Comment

IMO, 215/40/17 and 245/35/17 is the best combo for a staggered set-up. Having said that, I ran 8.5"/10" and they were too stretched for my taste but many others love the stretched look. I used the same tires on 7.5"/8.5" and they looked great. Soon, I'll be using them on 8"/9".

Comment

^ having a 40 profile in the front and 35 on the back is no problem??
                          A 245 would offer better traction than a 235 due to bigger contact patch.
                          Would a 245 work on a 8.5j rim?

Comment

245 40 17 0n an 8.5" wide wheel is standard size for the Rear of '96-99 US spec M3.

m

Comment

Sorry to bring back from dead, but rather ask on this instead of creating a new thread... I currently am on stock susp. and want to run some oz wheels 17x8.5 ET 13, what tire would be wisest choice so that don't rub? I do a lot of highway commuting, so rubbing is not in my interest at all, the rear fenders are rolled, and the "rear-of-the-fronts" is rolled, what tire size is safest to drive so not to rub?.. I was thinking 215/35 square, but I think it might look to stretched with stock height and 8.5 wheels... Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Comment

Originally posted by airkhin View Post
                                Sorry to bring back from dead, but rather ask on this instead of creating a new thread... I currently am on stock susp. and want to run some oz wheels 17x8.5 ET 13, what tire would be wisest choice so that don't rub? I do a lot of highway commuting, so rubbing is not in my interest at all, the rear fenders are rolled, and the "rear-of-the-fronts" is rolled, what tire size is safest to drive so not to rub?.. I was thinking 215/35 square, but I think it might look to stretched with stock height and 8.5 wheels... Any input is greatly appreciated!!
                                I was running the exact same wheels as you.... you will rub badly in the front with a 235/40/17....you need 215s. My car is lowered and it wasn't rubbing on the outer wheel, the rubbing was on the inside when you went to turn. It rubs on the inner wheel lining/wheel well wall...

The back will run fine on a stock spring. I had to get a stiffer spring in the back for my set up as I am dumped.

hope this helps.
                                Have a nice day. :hi:

Comment

Working...
                                X