Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airkhin
    replied
    My car is currently all stock height... Dont think I should have top many issues with the rear tire... I just hope that the tires don't look too small with this size setup. Will post pics when all is said and done...

Leave a comment:

• cecotto_singh
    replied
    I think a 215 is fine on a 8.5 rim. Such a small amount of stretch. Only go for a 235 on the back if u have traction issues. If your car is low it will rub.

Leave a comment:

• ///schwartzman
    replied
    It centers the wheel in the wheel arch of the fender, moving it forward about 10mm. Making it slightly more "cab forward" which is proven to improve handling, it def looks better.

Leave a comment:

• airkhin
    replied
    Do the control arms make that big of a diff?? I have some reading up to do..

Leave a comment:

• ///schwartzman
    replied
    215/40-17 x 8.5" et15 w/ '97 M3 Control Arms - perfect, no rubbing (et13 should work)
    215/35-17 will be a stretch on 8.5" & look small and will be a harsher ride.

Check the specs of the specific brand of tire for width specs.
    Last edited by ///schwartzman; 12-11-2010, 07:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• airkhin
    replied
    Very much appreciated input! Any pics of your previous setup? Would 225/45 work at all in front or would it be just way too tall of a tire?

Leave a comment:

• punnzzells
    replied
    Originally posted by airkhin View Post
    Sorry to bring back from dead, but rather ask on this instead of creating a new thread... I currently am on stock susp. and want to run some oz wheels 17x8.5 ET 13, what tire would be wisest choice so that don't rub? I do a lot of highway commuting, so rubbing is not in my interest at all, the rear fenders are rolled, and the "rear-of-the-fronts" is rolled, what tire size is safest to drive so not to rub?.. I was thinking 215/35 square, but I think it might look to stretched with stock height and 8.5 wheels... Any input is greatly appreciated!!
    I was running the exact same wheels as you.... you will rub badly in the front with a 235/40/17....you need 215s. My car is lowered and it wasn't rubbing on the outer wheel, the rubbing was on the inside when you went to turn. It rubs on the inner wheel lining/wheel well wall...

The back will run fine on a stock spring. I had to get a stiffer spring in the back for my set up as I am dumped.

hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• airkhin
    replied
    Sorry to bring back from dead, but rather ask on this instead of creating a new thread... I currently am on stock susp. and want to run some oz wheels 17x8.5 ET 13, what tire would be wisest choice so that don't rub? I do a lot of highway commuting, so rubbing is not in my interest at all, the rear fenders are rolled, and the "rear-of-the-fronts" is rolled, what tire size is safest to drive so not to rub?.. I was thinking 215/35 square, but I think it might look to stretched with stock height and 8.5 wheels... Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Leave a comment:

• Mmark
    replied
    245 40 17 0n an 8.5" wide wheel is standard size for the Rear of '96-99 US spec M3.

m

Leave a comment:

• cecotto_singh
    replied
    ^ having a 40 profile in the front and 35 on the back is no problem??
    A 245 would offer better traction than a 235 due to bigger contact patch.
    Would a 245 work on a 8.5j rim?

Leave a comment:

• luve30
    replied
    IMO, 215/40/17 and 245/35/17 is the best combo for a staggered set-up. Having said that, I ran 8.5"/10" and they were too stretched for my taste but many others love the stretched look. I used the same tires on 7.5"/8.5" and they looked great. Soon, I'll be using them on 8"/9".

Leave a comment:

• Justin(OKC)
    replied
    Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
    I would respectfully disagree on your above statement. Keep in mind what is "fine" for you may not be acceptable to others. To me 215 on a 8" wheel was stretched and looked horrible. I ran this setup for 2 years too, so it wasn't like I didn't give it time to sink in. To me, having the main tread set inside the outer edge of the wheel is "stretched" and especially worse on low-profile tire setups.

Here are 215/40/17 on a 8" BBS wheel....

Compared to a 235/40/17 on a 8.5" wheel....

Chris,

What brand tires are you running on those RK's? I was thinking about the Dunlop Z1 Star Specs, but I know they run wide. That may not be a good idea. Since I just bought a set of those wheels I need to get serious about tires. I like the 235's on your car. I'm sitting on stock suspension so it might not look as good as yours.

Leave a comment:

• Reelizmpro
    replied
    If you can't rotate the wheels front to back then it's a staggered setup in my book. I agree, that it probably looks the best aesthetically though. I just like being about to rotate front to back and buying a matching set of 4 same sized tires.

Leave a comment:

• 02fanatic
    replied
    That sounds like a great set-up (except I cannot tolerate rubbing "anywhere")....the main reason I went with 215/40/17's on my Style 5's is to avoid rubbing up front, and they "do not" looked stretched on a 17"x8" rim. I am also using a 3mm spacer on the front. But, 215's "do" look lost in the rear, so I opted for 235/40/17's there. After many discussions on this, and a ton of research, I am totally convinced that "except" for 225/40/17 tires (which have a somewhat limited selection) the 215/40 (front) & 235/40 (rear) is the way to go with 17"x8" Style 5's. It's not really a staggered setup (technically speaking) and cosmetically it works great "and" more importantly, it drives great.

Originally posted by drinaldis View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I can tolerate a little rubbing on the fender liners. The problem I'm having is when the front tire grabs the lip of the fender, bends it and cracks the paint. I'm running style 5's with a 3mm spacer along with 225/40/17 Nitto's all around. It's pretty low since I changed from stock strut mounts to Vorschlag camber plates.
    Last edited by 02fanatic; 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Reelizmpro
    replied
    Sonny, maybe 255/35/17 in the rears to try and keep the diameter the same. Drinaldis, 225/40/17 is a good compromise but isn't a common size = /.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X