Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m3pat2
    replied
    e38 7 series are hub centric, 16x8 et23....and affordable. Looks virtually stock on a E30 M3.

Leave a comment:

• OnrailsM3
    replied
    Also, try and stay away from E39 fitments and later 7 series fitments. I didn't mention 7 series wheels is because I don't know what year their hub center grew larger.

If you use e39 fitment wheels you'll need these stupid little hubcentric rings. Fine if you never swap wheels but if you do alot of tire swapping those rings get broken, lost, twisted, cut and tossed etc.

Leave a comment:

• OnrailsM3
    replied
    I have been running 16" wheels for the past 10 years. Here in NY the roads suck so having the thicker sidewall keeps the rims round.

Get ET20 in 16x7.5 with 225/45, this is factory EVO sizing but 16X8 works too. Here's the trick, search E28,E31 and E34 forums for great bargains on 16" because nobody wants them.

Wider than 225 will rub, and anything wider will only give you a nominal improvement in turn in grip and max grip. Is that last 2% margin in grip worth it to scrape up your fender liners?

Why doesn't anyone use them? Because your tire selection sucks. I have enjoyed the BFG KDWs I have on now, but the sidewalls are too soft for track use in the dry.

The one good thing is 16" BMW wheels are cheap to buy used.

Leave a comment:

• Audio4u
    replied
    Hey there,

Are you guys running stock BMW wheels or other. I am kind of thinking a stock 16" would be the way to go.

Thanks,

Tyler

Leave a comment:

• m3pat2
    replied
    I'm running 16x8.5 ET21 with 245/45-16 all around. Full lock no rubbing on fenders or fender liners, but my front fenders are barely cut (not rolled).

Leave a comment:

• chutrain
    replied
    I was running 16x8 ET 20 all around with 225/45 and at full lock there are a very
    slight rub on the fender liners. Running a wider tire like a 245 might cause some
    issues. I think the 235 would be plenty all around.

Leave a comment:

• Audio4u
    replied
    Thanks for the info. Maybe someone will chime on on some fitments they know may work. My plan was to sale the wheels I have now and move down one size going with a 245.

Thanks,

Tyler

Leave a comment:

• m3pat2
    replied
    In regards to offset, you have to be careful with 16" wheels and don't go higher than a offset of ET23. Example: 16x8.5" wheel with a ET24 will contact the strut tube.

A 17x8.5 won't contact the strut tube with that offset because as the diameter of the wheel increases, the area which would contact the strut tube goes farther away from the center of the wheel (since our strut tubes are at an angle).

I'd say if you've got a ET21 or ET22 you're ok to run 16x8.5" and you can go 245's all around. Any offset less than ET20 then you're probably gonna chew up the front fenders on a 16x8.5" wheel.
    If you go with 16x8" then you likely won't have a problem (740i e38 wheel - ET23).

My crude stick diagram explains better:
    16" vs 17" wheels
    Last edited by m3pat2; 10-25-2009, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Audio4u
    started a topic 16" wheels with correct offset?

16" wheels with correct offset?

What is out there? I am thinking of retiring my 17" wheels and would like a nice set of mesh 16" wheels that are lighter then FIKSE fm10'S in 17"

Thanks,

Tyler
    Last edited by Audio4u; 10-24-2009, 01:47 PM.
Working...
X