No announcement yet.

Time for some tires, which ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>>bf goodrich gforce kds will get you 5-7k. maybe 10 if you arent a nut. <<<

I get about 12-15k out of KDs including lots of auto-x, and they ride quite well on the street. On an M3, you can get 6-8 K running typical non-Hoosier R-compounds on the street.

Stan

Comment

i run dunlop SP9000 and i love'em i use to have the toyo proxies and the dunlops are so much better to me they were about 400 euro apeice but i think tire rack has them now for about 200 $us
      SrA USAF

Comment

I would strongly consider the Sumitomo HTRZ - this is basically the old Dunlop D40 M2. I have had these on my car in the stock size and really like them as a street tire. They are available in the size you are looking for. http://www.sumitomotire.com/theline/...asp?c=per&id=7

When my T1-S' give up the ghost this summer, I am going to switch to the 225/45 16 Sumitomo on my 16" Hartge wheels.

That being said, the T1-S has been a really good tire also and have held up well to street/track use. If you shop on-line you can get decent pricing, e.g. ~$100 for 225/50-15. I use street tires for track tires and will probably stay with the Toyo in the 225/50-15 primarily because they grip well, are durable and are considerably lighter than other tires in that size, e.g. Bridgestone S-03s
        "E30 M3 . . . it's the perfect toy for an upscale closet wild man." Car and Driver, 1988 M3 Road Test

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
          >>bf goodrich gforce kds will get you 5-7k. maybe 10 if you arent a nut. <<<

I get about 12-15k out of KDs including lots of auto-x, and they ride quite well on the street. On an M3, you can get 6-8 K running typical non-Hoosier R-compounds on the street.

Stan
          what size KD? My 225s were shot at about 6k. They still stuck pretty well, but nothing like when they were new.

Then when I went to just track rubber on the basketweaves I got maybe 1500 street miles with one trackday out of V700s. They got very hard. I dont think they are made to be heat cycled twice a day (once there, once back, hehe). I should be easier on my next set of tires.

Comment

Good thread. I'm also looking for max tire/dollar as the car needs so much. I had been planning on the Kumho MX but had heard nada about them. If you could swing it, the BFG KDs would be nice.
            m.

Comment

im going to be going with Kuhmo MX's on my new tires...

I think they are near KD performance for a lot less a price...

225/40/18 and 235/40/18....i hate to stagger...but i hate perelli p-zero's even more(the only tire in 235/35/18)

Comment

>>>what size KD? My 225s were shot at about 6k. They still stuck pretty well, but nothing like when they were new.<<<

I've used 225/50/15 KDs. For street and autocross use. I've got 245/40/17s on the car now and they have lots more grip in slow turns than the 15s.

>>>Then when I went to just track rubber on the basketweaves I got maybe 1500 street miles with one trackday out of V700s. They got very hard. I dont think they are made to be heat cycled twice a day (once there, once back, hehe). I should be easier on my next set of tires.<<<

Maybe you are harder on tires than me! BTW if your r-compounds get too hard, you can use various goops to bring them back to life. That stuff DOES work, and can even speed up new tires.

Stan
                Last edited by Stan; 04-14-2004, 06:42 AM.

Comment

nice to know, ive never heard of "goop", lol. well, with stock camber up front the wear is horribly uneven at this point. i will let the tires RIP.

Id like to talk to you about tires sometime as i plan my trackcar. they are so important, i want to get them right. do you have any messenger programs? I could probably learn a thing or two while putting together my suspension system as well. Ive decided not to just go with one of TMSs systems. its too much fun to piece together a better, cheaper system.

Comment

Im running the Sumitomo HTRZ in 225/45/16. I've put about 300mi on them thus far. They are prity sticky and great on the road. I will be auto-X on Sunday and Tracking on Monday and will let you guys know how they do.

Comment

Go for the ES100's! They're a bargain! I have six hard track events and another 6,000 miles on my current set and they show only what wear you'd expect from tires with six events on them. I expect another 10,000 street miles out of them. They have plenty of grip on the track and also have great traction in the rain. However, I am upgrading to Toyo RA1's for the track as I am upgrading the suspension and brakes for track duty. BTW, I have flipped the the tires on the rims to even out the wear as I run negative camber on all four corners.
                      1988 Diamond Black / track
                      2006 4 Runner LTD V8 / DD
                      2003 Tahoe Z71 trail / tugger / 225,000 miles (3 trannys, same original engine)
                      1992 325ic S52, OBDI, M3 suspension (Finished!) Fast and Fun for the Mom
                      2011 Superfly (Nirvana!)

sigpic

Comment

The two cars I've ridden in with ES100's both had a lot of tire noise; once they wore about halfway it became pretty annoying.

I too need new tires this spring, but not much is available in 225.45.16 (225.50.16 seems to be much more popular although they'd be 12.5mm higher - too high?).

I'm either going to bite the bullet for some SO3s or wind up with TS-1s, just depends on how much money I've spent on the car recently when I place the order. No dunlops, KD's, MX's, Azenis', etc. available. Anything else I'm missing?

Having run the 712's for the last 2+ years, it time for something a little "better", although they were suprisingly hydroplane-proof.
                        Last edited by Chris F.; 04-14-2004, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Chris,

the Falkens Azenis are available in 215/45/16, and they are wider than most 225's. $100 ea.

A friend of mine runs them on a 16x8 rim, and they fit perfectly.
                          -Han

Comment

Originally posted by H a n
                            Chris,

the Falkens Azenis are available in 215/45/16, and they are wider than most 225's. $100 ea.

A friend of mine runs them on a 16x8 rim, and they fit perfectly.
                            Hmm...something to look into.

Also Han, did you post that you were looking for a JS suspension setup? Send me a PM if you are; I saw an ad in the NJBMWCCA bulletin for a setup that I can send to you if you're still interested.

Comment

I actually just traded my GC coilovers and camber plates for a set of Bilstein Sport shocks, Eibach Sport springs, DINAN fixed camber plates and offset mounts (plus cash). The Shocks and springs are going to be sold and I'm going to pick up some Turner JS race springs and revalved Bilsteins. I actually have a good hookup for those. But, if you could send me the link, that would be cool. It won't hurt to look into it.

Thanks!
                              -Han

Comment

Working...
                              X