245/35/17 tires on 17x8.5 wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 245/35/17 tires on 17x8.5 wheels

I tried doing some searching with no luck. Anyone running 245/35/17 tires on the front of their M3 with a 17x8.5 wheel? I'm contemplating some Toyo R1R's in that size all the way around on my LM's. Just wondered if it would work up front or if I just need to try to make a 235/40 work. Thought the 245 may work better since it isn't as tall. TIA
    Last edited by Justin(OKC); 06-26-2012, 02:49 AM.

Got 245/35/17 square.
    Front 8.5x17 ET 15 (-7mm from ap bell = ET8) -2.5cm lowering camber -2.5
    Rear 8.5x17 ET 15 + 10mm spacer -2.5cm

Sure got to roll the fenders in front and mine rubbed when >3/4 full lock against the plastic cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Janssens View Post
      Got 245/35/17 square.
      Front 8.5x17 ET 15 (-7mm from ap bell = ET8) -2.5cm lowering camber -2.5
      Rear 8.5x17 ET 15 + 10mm spacer -2.5cm

Sure got to roll the fenders in front and mine rubbed when >3/4 full lock against the plastic cover.
      So you effectively have ET8 offset in the front? dang! Mine are ET18 all around. I ordered the tires and am hoping they will fit without rolling. I'll be putting '96+ control arms up front, treehouse racing FCB's, and AST 4200's with Vorshlag camber plates. Hope to have this setup rockin' and rollin' by the end of next week! The only downsize I see of ordering this size tire is that there are only two companies making this size. At least the R1R seems to be a decent performance tire.

Comment

This is a 245/35/17 8.5*17 "ET8" in front.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6543.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	843843

Name:	IMG_6521.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	843844

Name:	IMG_6522.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	843845

Comment

-7mm from ap bell = ET8
          Is 7mm the thickness of the bell minus the thickness of the standard disc?

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
            Is 7mm the thickness of the bell minus the thickness of the standard disc?

Jake
            The AP bell is 7mm wider than stock.
            Fits stock 16inches with 304mm 4pots setup, if you want to use stock rims.

Comment

Thanks for the photos and clarification. I'm hoping with my mods I won't have to do much in the department of rolling or dealing with rubbing. I'll know soon enough though.

Comment

Justin, do you have any updates? I have the BBS LM106 from VAC that are 17" x 8.5 et18, so it seems that we're in the same boat size-wise.

I'm on the fence and considering 225/45/17 for the front and 235/45/17 for the rear. A 215 in the front is too stretched for my taste. I just want to know if other folks are experiencing any rubbing or if it's safe to go with a 245/40 in the rear and a 235/40 in the front without going crazy with the camber adjustments.

I'm currently running a GC suspension with about -2 degrees of camber up front. The rear camber is negative as well, but I don't know what the current read is.

I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Qty=2&i1_Qty=2
                Last edited by Brandon; 08-17-2012, 05:23 AM.
                Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
                1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
                2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
                http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

Pilot super sports are amazing
                  i had pilot sport 2 on my 08 m3 and they were great
                  but for my 2012 m3 I switched from the OEM 19s of the competition package to 18s in pss
                  and they are noticeably better than the ps2s
                  add to that they they are cheaper, and it's a win/win

Comment

235/40 17s fit just fine on my setup. Some rubbing at full lock but otherwise no issues.
                    Several E30 M3's.

More than I need but not as many as I want....

Comment

Thanks for the reply, buddy. Are you running a stock suspension or some other combo?

Originally posted by inastrangeland View Post
                      235/40 17s fit just fine on my setup. Some rubbing at full lock but otherwise no issues.
                      Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
                      1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
                      2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
                      http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

The AP bell is 7mm wider than stock.
                        Fits stock 16inches with 304mm 4pots setup, if you want to use stock rims.
                        sorry, i'm not a mechanic.....what is the AP Bell?
                        i'm also interested in fitting 245/35 to my bbs rs 8.5x17 et13 up front. i have camber plates and fenders already rolled while lowered on h&r sports.
                        so you lowered 2.5cm, cambered -2.5 degrees, folled fender, and removed plastic cover and now you have zero rubbing?
                        JAMES
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PostmasterNY View Post

The black coloured section in the middle of the disk in the picture above.

Schwarz 1990 Sport Evolution

Comment

Originally posted by PostmasterNY View Post
                            i'm also interested in fitting 245/35 to my bbs rs 8.5x17 et13 up front. i have camber plates and fenders already rolled while lowered on h&r sports.
                            so you lowered 2.5cm, cambered -2.5 degrees, folled fender, and removed plastic cover and now you have zero rubbing?
                            Without plastic cover you have no rubbing.
                            But you can adjust the plastic cover a little bit with a 'heat' gun and reshape it, then you'll have no rubbing.
                            Only got a litle bit rubbing with plastic cover @ full lock (with stock plastic cover).

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                              Justin, do you have any updates? I have the BBS LM106 from VAC that are 17" x 8.5 et18, so it seems that we're in the same boat size-wise.

I'm on the fence and considering 225/45/17 for the front and 235/45/17 for the rear. A 215 in the front is too stretched for my taste. I just want to know if other folks are experiencing any rubbing or if it's safe to go with a 245/40 in the rear and a 235/40 in the front without going crazy with the camber adjustments.

I'm currently running a GC suspension with about -2 degrees of camber up front. The rear camber is negative as well, but I don't know what the current read is.

I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Tire Rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Qty=2&i1_Qty=2
                              Brandon,

Sorry I missed these posts. I hate not having the emails to alert replies to threads! I'm still having rubbing issues up front and a little in the back. I know the back will be an easy fix with a slight roll. On the front I need to change the control arms back and see what the rubbing is like with the wheel back in the stock location. The reality is that I should be trying to figure out how to make a 235/40/17 work. There just are not many options for a 245/35/17.

Comment

Working...
                              X