Question about these tires: 225/45-16 MAXXIS MA-V1 89V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about these tires: 225/45-16 MAXXIS MA-V1 89V

I was planning on purchasing 5 of these tires and putting them on my E28 M5 wheels from here:
    http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...ma-v1+89v.html

This is what I was able to pull in terms of specs:
    Product Details
    Max Inflation Pressure: 44 PSI
    Max Load: 1279 lbs
    Meas Rim Width: 7.5
    P Metric: P
    Rim Width Max: 8.5 inch
    Rim Width Min: 7 inch
    Sidewall: BSW
    Tire Size: 225/45R16
    UTQG: 300 A A
    Weight: 22.11 lbs

They seem cheap to me. Is this a terrible idea? Anyone have any experience with these Maxxis tires? I will be driving my car for pleasure so no tracking or even heavy street use is anticipated out of these tires?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Freude Am Fahren; 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    The God's chariot... (OO==[][]==OO)
    sigpic

I'm shopping for that size to and saw them. I have to say, I like the tread design...
    Wonder what third world country they come from???
    Ron ///Man

• '91 Gr-A Former CiBiEmme / Ravaglia - Sold
    • '90 M3 Faux EVOII Alpineweiss 36K Orig Owner - The Queen
    • '91 M3 Faux EVO III Brilliantrot Euro Driveline - The Rocket
    • '91 M3 Faux Gr-A Club Racer DM - The Alter EGO
    • '89 M3 M3T / ITR Club Racer
    • '94 Spec E36 - Eh....
    • '09 M3 - Tarmac Terrorist
    • '04 330Xi Sport 6 Speed - Snowmobile
    • '07 530 Xi - Highway Star
    • http://www.imwcarparts.com/e30-m3-parts.htm

Comment

Maxxis? Really. Do you buy your shoes at PayLess? Why put some no name crap on your M3? Cheap out on your daily driver.

Toyo R1R is the best tire for a street toy/track day use. Sticky as hell and doesn't make too much noise or tramline with camber.

Same compound as the R888. Had them in this size for the summer, love 'em.

Since there are only half dozen or so tires in this size I will tell you I have tried the ES100, BFG KDW2, and now these. THe R1R is in a different league, near R-compound grip, but decent manners.

Haven't driven them in the rain yet, have a Subaru for that.

Last edited by OnrailsM3; 09-06-2012, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought tires are pretty much the only good area where you can cheap out and not pay a hefty price later. I mean I'll be driving this thing every other weekend to the beach and back so what if it has some no name tires on it? And it hardly rains in Los Angeles. And the Toyos are twice as expensive. Am I overlooking something?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freude Am Fahren View Post
          Maybe I'm wrong but I thought tires are pretty much the only good area where you can cheap out and not pay a hefty price later. I mean I'll be driving this thing every other weekend to the beach and back so what if it has some no name tires on it? And it hardly rains in Los Angeles. And the Toyos are twice as expensive. Am I overlooking something?
          Here's what I used to tell people when instructing them at Driving Schools with the CCA:

Your car is connected to the ground by 4 patches of rubber the size of your palm.
          Do you really want to trust some random company with that?

All the brakes, suspension, etc. can't do anything if your tires don't work.

That being said, looks like the same Maxxis company that I've ridden on for years on my Mountain bike...
          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

Originally posted by Freude Am Fahren View Post
            Yes, you are overlooking something. As UNHCLL said, it's your connection to the road. I am sure you are just going to pussy foot it to the beach, I do that too, sometimes.

You own the ballarina of cars, why make her dance in Crocs?

Oh, and better tires make a difference when you are avoiding the unavoidable either on the gas, turning, brakes or a combination of the three. That's why they are more expensive.

It's that 1% of the time you need 100% from your car that better tires help give you that extra grip.

Comment

Damn. Alright I see your points. I will be saving money for some Toyos then.
              sigpic

Comment

I've been VERY impressed with the Hankook RS-3's in both dry and wet. Down side is that in 15's they only come in a 45 profile which makes things a bit buzzy on the highway.

..Mike

Comment

FYI Maxxis is a respected bicycle, motocross, and atv/offroad tire manufacturer. Nothing cheap about them in those leagues.

I'm not sure what their automotive stuff is like but they've been leaders in other realms for a while.

Comment

Maxis is running an e90 m3 that has been winning right out of the box.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1829433

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                    they are not idiots.

Comment

OP, IMO it depends on what you are looking for in a tire. If you are in the early stages of HPDEs / track days, I would get the cheapest summer tires available. Great tires can hide mistakes and mask bad habits. Today's "value" summer tires are probably better than the best that were available 10 years ago, so this is moot really.

Yesterday I picked up a set of the MA V1s. If you are in So Cal and want to check em out, LMK.

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      Maxis is running an e90 m3 that has been winning right out of the box.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1829433
                      Eric, I know Scott, the co-owner of that car is the guy that pointed me to Maxxis. Their team was previously sponsored by Nitto; they clinched the national championship (HP) on NT-01s. They say the Maxxis are just as good (they could simply being doing right by their headline sponsor
                      Last edited by markseven; 01-05-2013, 06:09 AM.
                      John 3:17

Comment

Maxxis is a chinese tyre manufacturer. Apart from that Onrails and UNHCLL have said it all really.
                        I see your point too though so it all comes down to whether you consider it worth wile putting money into that car.

Comment

What isn't made in China these days?

Comment

i am happy with kumho v70a (v700 in the us) medium compound... did one track day with them on damp and they responded well , and they a re suposed to be way better on the dry... (205 50 15)
                            tried rs2 on 17in wheels , grip was good , but when half worn it started the act weird tram linning on most little bumps... (235 40 17)
                            Two wrongs don't make a right. But three lefts do.
                            e30 M3 1988 US-spec Salmon Silver - s14 now 2.5 L
                            e34 M5 1995 Cosmosblack - S38b38

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                              What isn't made in China these days?
                              Turns out the Maxxis are made in Taiwan.

Comment

Working...
                              X