16" rims extinct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" rims extinct?

i've been looking around for rims to replace my bent and dinged 16x7.5 mille miglia's. i have almost new tires so i don't want to ditch them, and i am perfectly happy w/ 245/45. leaves me enough sidewall to take on potholes

i can get a discount through tirerack so i've mainly looked there and all the bbs rims don't come smaller than 17", RGR's specifically.

so in summary, where can i find forged 16" rims?
    James
    sigpic

http://www.bavauto.com/

Comment

the TireRack offers several 16 x 7.5 offerings for the M3

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...0&autoModClar=
      A friend will come bail you out of jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying, "Dude, that was focking awesome!"

Comment

Any custom wheel house will make you a 16.

HRE
        Fikse and the like. But they will cost you....

Jordan
        "Never lift"

Comment

It is part of the "form over function" movement in aftermarket auto parts. People seem to want the largest wheel possible on their rides, and ignore the fact that smaller wheels usually work better.

I keep seeing "ghettofied" cars driving around with something like 22" wheels with spinners on them. Can you imagine what those wheels weigh?

Comment

i think you have to ask yourself if you want show or go.... I think slammed on 18's DTM style looks perfect.... but i know my 16's work better, and i'd rather have function over form... personal preference
            1990 e30 m3

Comment

Yeah, slim pickings in that size IMO. They are either ugly, heavy or the wrong offset forcing you to a spacer. Seems like 17" offers the best selection these days.

Your best bet is to pick up a used set or to get a set of the 16" factory Euro basket weaves.
              "E30 M3 . . . it's the perfect toy for an upscale closet wild man." Car and Driver, 1988 M3 Road Test

Comment

I run 15" wheels for the track, and though the car doesn't look as good as with the 16", it definately handles better (and the tyres are cheaper - not many track tyres available in the correct 16" sizes)
                Steve
                Scottish Cecotto

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM
                  I run 15" wheels for the track, and though the car doesn't look as good as with the 16", it definately handles better (and the tyres are cheaper - not many track tyres available in the correct 16" sizes)
                  Another good point, not many street tires available in the correct 16" size, either.
                  "E30 M3 . . . it's the perfect toy for an upscale closet wild man." Car and Driver, 1988 M3 Road Test

Comment

i have a real nice set of HRE's for sale . 16x8. let me know if you want some pics and more info
                    owning an m3 and not driving it , is like being married to jenna jameson and not fuckin it!!!!

Comment

Buy used wheels and have them refinished and checked for runout, hops etc.

A totally professionally refurbished set of wheels will be cheaper than new ones.

Keep an eye on your local craigslist and ebay for bolt-on fitments for our cars. Wheels from the E28, E34, E32 or E31 don't need spacers or anything.

FWIW, Just picked up these light as hell 16" Rikens on this board last year for 300 bucks. I polished and painted them in my backyard and they are like 95% good as new. I could have ponied up and had them done Markus style for a few hundred more but I'm more of a function guy.

A nice balance of period correct form and function. 16x7.5 and about 18lbs a piece.(Need a repaint this spring but you get the idea)

Last edited by OnrailsM3; 03-24-2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

what did you use to polish them with?

Comment

Those look like Barry's rims. But I think he runs 17x8s
                          Pat

Comment

hey courtM3, those are not my HRE's that you replaied about, thay is someone elses post. send me your email and i can send some detailed pics of the wheels.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

my email s [email protected]
                            Last edited by ///ethirty; 03-26-2008, 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            owning an m3 and not driving it , is like being married to jenna jameson and not fuckin it!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X